It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

Marian 16 HB User
Fusion L4

the Orthropedic surgon mention I am a canidate for fusion on L4. I have so much pain in the L4 area , matter of fact on the left side of my spine my body build up a defence knob size of an egg. Lower back hurts sleeping walking etc. legs hurt in groin area.
what do you think and is a neurosurgon better triain?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
(female)

Matchfoot HB User
Re: Fusion L4

Before Surgery, get 2 or 3 opinions(not just other neurosurgeons). I had 3 microdiscectomies & a fusion to L4, L5, &S1. I'm not against surgery, but I meet alot of post-op fusion pts. at my pain Man. doctor. If a surgeon says he'll stop all the pain--run!!!Physical therapy and a morphine pump are my constant companions=be careful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

You may want to check out the Back Pain board. The Back Pain board has discussions more about the lumbar spine while this board is more the cervical spine.

You'll want to get details on what the fusion will be. L4-L5? L4-S1? You can't just fuse a single vertebrae, it has to be fused to an adjacent level.

I personally prefer orthopedic spine surgeons (just a personal preference) so get another opinion (but first get clarification of exactly what the current physician is recommending so you can compare recommendations)

Old 05-20-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

murr3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marian 16 View Post
the Orthropedic surgon mention I am a canidate for fusion on L4. I have so much pain in the L4 area , matter of fact on the left side of my spine my body build up a defence knob size of an egg. Lower back hurts sleeping walking etc. legs hurt in groin area.
what do you think and is a neurosurgon better triain?
Booth neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons are good choice if they specialize exclusively in SPINE surgery.

Why are you candidate for fusion? What is your diagnosis? Have you had previous surgeries?

Closed Thread