It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

estella3 HB User
severe carpal tunnel syndrome after ACDF surgery

Has anyone been diagnosed with severe carpal tunnel syndrome following this ACDF surgery? I was wondering why i was having a hard time with my left radiating arm pain, I kept on being told it was normal post op inflammation, then finally I had an EMG and it shows i have severe carpal tunnel syndrome. I can't relate back to anything other than this being related to my back surgery some how. I do not do any repetitive motions with my arms or hands through out the day. I am a stay at home mom, so i can't relate to any activities that i do. If anyone out there has experienced this post ACDF surgery please let me know. I am now wearing a wrist splint Estella

Last edited by estella3; 05-13-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: severe carpal tunnel syndrome after ACDF surgery

It was probably thought that your arm pain was all from your neck but now that your neck is fixed, they are finding out that you actually had carpal tunnel at the same time. It's really hard to figure out which problem is causing what. I had surgery on both shoulders and found that the pain went down some but didn't go away. The rest of the pain was from my neck. With that fixed, all the pain was gone. But I do still have some carpal tunnel problems but they aren't bad enough for more surgery(operated on once for carpal tunnel).

The neck didn't cause carpal tunnel...you had it all along. Just no one could distinguish it from the pain that your neck was causing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

estella3 HB User

thank you for responding, i thought maybe something went wrong with my
ACDF surgery, that caused me to have severe carpal tunnel syndrome in both arms. I may be looking at carpal tunnel surgery, it is severe and really effecting my life and sleeping. Did you get any relief after your carpal tunnel surgery? Is that done as an outpatient or do you have to stay in hospital overnight. I cant think of a thing that caused the carpal tunnel, I do not do much typing or do any type of work or activity that requires repetitive motions. Estella

Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

You don't have to do anything to get carpal tunnel. Women are predisposed to it. Just being pregnant can cause it to occur. It's not always from repetative injuries.

Yes, surgery helped a lot. Make sure you use a hand surgeon, not a general orthopedic surgeon. Makes a big difference. It is same day surgery and they do 1 at a time.

good luck.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #5
(female)

estella3 HB User

hi jenny,
why i am worried is that i did not have numbness or tingling in my arms or hands before the ACDF surgery. I had just pain in both arms to the bicep levels in each, and my hands felt a bit achey at times and seemed to be cold at times.. The numbness on my left has been there since right after the surgery, i kept on being told this is due to post op swelling and is completely normal, AND if i squeeze my left arm at any point,, it hurts terribly, the entire left arm hurts a ton if you squeeze it. My right hand numbness started 3 months post op, it started as a small area at the thumb, now the whole hand, gets numb, and it hurts to turn my forearm badly... That is on BOTH sides too that it hurts to turn my forearm, hurt to open a door, roll down a window, and just holding anything in the hands now hurts. The other thing is my wrists dont actually hurt, my hands, fingers and forearms do..

My post op MRI of the ACDF surgery looked "normal" my family doc said but I am afraid that this numbness and pain radiating down the left arm is coming from my back the c5, c6 nerve i had worked on, because like i said the whole left arm is painful, from my bicep/armpit down. I still have terrible neck pain and upper back pain, and when they did the acdf surgery my left side was worse than the right. I just want to make sure that the surgery to correct this is done at the correct point in my body. My other thought is this, do you have pain all the way up the arm to the bicep and shoulder with carpal tunnel? I remember i had carpal tunnel 17 years ago when i was pregnant with my daughter, and after i delivered i went right away. I remember at that time that the numbness was just at my hand and wrist. I have an appointment with my neurosergeon tommorow and am making a list of questions for him. For now I am wearing splints on both hands/arms, and i do get some relief with wearing them. When i take them off to shower or to dress, i am in a ton of pain/crying. It is a big difference when i dont have them on, althogh my right fingers went slightly numb even with wearing the splint.. How reliable are the EMGs? I am wondering if i should ask my neurosergeon to do an ultrasound of my arms to make sure where the damage to nerve/nerves is. Is the pain relief from the carpal tunnel surgey immediate? thanks,,,, Estella

Last edited by estella3; 05-16-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Hi Estella...I read your 2 PM's and here is what I think. Your MRI looks very good. The only compression you have is of the thecal sac. That is the sac that surrounds the spinal cord and holds in the fluid around it. So if something is compressing that sac, it's okay as there is still fluid to protect the cord. If you had actual cord compression, you generally have symptoms below that level so you'd have problem with your legs or feet, not your hands.

But the test they did do on your wrist did show a problem and it's in the wrist. I had to have those nerve conduction tests on my right arm from my thumb to my spine to try to figure out why I was having so many problems moving my thumb. They attached the sensor to my thumb and then sent signals to my thumb first from above the wrist, then from above the elbow, then from above the shoulder and then from the spine. Usually if there is a problem with compression on the nerve it is at a joint. When they tested your wrist to finger nerve conduction speed, they clearly found it was delayed at the wrist and therefore, the problem was in the wrist. If the doc thought it might be at a higher level then he'd test at a higher level like mine did but he was satisfied that the problem was in your wrist.

But maybe the problem is you thinking it's because you have the typical carpal tunnel syndrome but probably what they are trying to tell you is that no matter what the cause, the treatment is the same....the surgery they do for carpal tunnel syndrome. It appears you have a damaged median nerve in your wrist that is being aggravated by the tightness of the tendons in your wrist going through the carpal tunnel ligament. Even if the cause is not repetative motion, the treatment is still the same....open up the carpal tunnel and give that nerve room to heal. That's all they do, cut the ligament and open the area and let everything spread out a little and give the nerve room to heal, especially if it's swollen. Your wrist size goes up about 1/2 inch.

So no matter how you hurt it, the treatment is still the same. And it beats having a numb and useless hand.

Hope you get the other one tested soon too.

Jenny

Old 05-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #7
(female)

bgennaro HB User

You might want to research TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome). I had ACDF 8 mos. ago and I developed right arm and hand numbness, tingling, and weakness. My PT did several diagnostic tests and ruled out Carpal Tunnel. In TOS, apparently the muscles in the scalene region develop scar tissue or get so tight that they impinge the nerves that run underneath. When I looked it up my symptoms they fit the description to a T. Ask your neurologist about TOS before you undergo any more surgery.

Last edited by bgennaro; 05-24-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Old 05-24-2011, 10:42 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had an ACDF in 2006 followed by posterior cervical foraminotomy in 2008. In 2009 full arm nerve testing was done that only showed cervical related problems. This year the same testing was done, and repeated to be sure, and it showed carpal tunnel syndrome. ACDF can have the same/similar symptoms as CTS but can't cause CTS. I just had both CTS done and am still in the healing stages. I actually thought I had bilateral thumb arthritis and it was believed to be CTS. I still have some cervical spine issues so my spine surgeon urged me to get CTS surgery first so we can isolate what arm/hand/finger symptoms are from the neck and what is from the hands. Rt 3/23, Lt 4/20. Not a fun surgery but much easier then any spine surgery. I continue to use a small hand exerciser ball and do scar massage and slowly am getting better.

Closed Thread