It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #1
(female)

jreed5724 HB User
Thoracic Spine Issues

I have currently been diagnosed with multiple issues involving my thoracic spine. I was diagnosed with an MRI with contrast. Results of the MRI are degenerative spur along with protruding disc material causing mild focal cord indentation and right lateral rescess at T6-7 and to a milder decree at T5-6. At T8-9 there is left posterior paracentral disc protrusion along with degenerative spurs causing focal cord indentation of left lateral recess without central canal or neural foraminal stenosis. Milder left posterior paracentral degenerative spur along with protruding disc material at T7-8 and T9-10 causing minimal indentation on thecal sac. Degenerative spondylosis with multilevel disc degeneration in mid thoracic spine.

During my research there is not alot of options for the thoracic spine. I have spoke with a neurosurgeon because I was advised by my doctor. I was told the risk is very high for this procedure. He would have to make an incision in my side, remove part of my rib, collapse my lung. I would have a chest tube for aleast 5 days post surgery and he couldn't guarantee i wouldn't have some paralysis. He also told my i am at a high risk now due to my spinal cord being indented along with spurs. He told me if i severed my spinal cord I was done for. I am very lost and confused and what to do. If I have the procedure i could have complications, if I don't I could sever my spinal cord simply by turning wrong.

I have come across laser surgery although I haven't seen alot done with the thoracic spine. Does anyone have more information on this procedure? Pros/ Cons.? I am just someone who is scared and looking for some guidance and opinions. Thanks for reading. Janice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
(male)

Monty44 HB User
Re: Thoracic Spine Issues

I have had the exact surgery you describe and if you search my old posts, some of them are about that experience.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

fragrantrose HB User

I just had surgery on my thoracic spine in late March. Mine was actually a spinal cord injury that went undiagnosed. He did a midline incision (no collapsed lung or rib involvement). I had laminectomies at T6-7 and T8-9 for bone spurs, he shaved off the bone spurs, resected two torn ligaments and did a stabilization from T-6 to T-12. I already had weakness in my left leg and bowel and bladder dysfunction and had begun to deteriorate again so surgery was a no brainer. I've had no complications whatsoever. The pain was awful for the first three weeks; my incision is a total of 10 1/2 inches long! I have recovery of function for the most recent problems, but everything else has been too longstanding. Still I'm very happy I did it. I was very scared, too. Good luck!

Old 05-26-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
(female)

pink cloud HB User

Hi Janice

I was ignored by my GP for over two years with neurological pains (crushing chest pains like a tight band squashing me,felt like I was having a heart attack, was unable to wear a bra due to the pain, legs going numb, pins and needles, horrific muscle spasms, shooting pains running thorough me, burning pains, freezing cold pains to name just a few. After being very assertive with my Gp I got referred to hospital where MRI scan showed disc bulge of the thoracic spine at t7/8 indenting onto the left side of my spinal cord and I needed surgery. A few days after the scan results my legs went completly numb and I couldnt move them well. Rushed in for emergency surgery but had to wait 5 days as hospital was so busy. I was given steroids. Had the operation through my back, removed some of the rib and took bulge away from cord. The pain was horrendous after - was given morphine, gabapentin, amitrytine, tramadol - nothing took the pain away so I stripped down to just ibuprofen and paracetamol again. Its been hard - I had to learn to re-walk, i had paralysis of back muscles. I must say if you have the surgery its great and it worked for me - but i advise that you must have a great physiotherapist ready for when you come out. The operation is the easy part I found, its the hard work after. I am unable to feel the need to go to the toilet, I just get a pain and I sit on the toilet and go. I making good progress. However, twisting and bending the spine is near impossible. I still have a disc bulging but this shall settle over time. I really feel for you. The pain in the thoracic area is dibilitating. What was harder for me is that I was told for so long it was all in my head by my GP (I must say he is supportive now and he is a good GP) and there was nothing the matter with me. The lonliness of the pain was the worse. Please do feel free to ask any questions - this condition is rare and can be a comfort to speak with others experiencing the same thing. I am from England and as far as my knowledge there are only a few surgeons who do this operation. In the meantime I recommend dont lift and keep focused. The mind has to be clear to beat this. Bestest wishes.

Closed Thread