It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
(female)

Army Mom HB User
C5, C6 & C7 problems

I had anterior cervical discectory with fusion on C5 and 6 9/08. At the time C7 was not bad enough to do anything about per Dr. now I am back in the same place I was before I had the operation in 08. I do not want another operation. I know I have cervical spinal stenposis and deteration. What can I do if anything. Alos had to change insurance companies and they put one year rider on my neck.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: C5, C6 & C7 problems

Hi Army Mom...glad you came down here to join us.

A question about the insurance rider....does that mean they won't pay for anything on your neck for 1 year? And how far are you into that year? The new health care law may have nullified that rider but I'm not sure when the pre-existing conditions clauses go into effect. Something to look into.

But I welcome you and I'm sure others with your situation will be along soon.

hugs.........Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
(female)

Army Mom HB User

We took the policy out in May and as far as I know they will not cover anything to do with my neck. After a year I can request the rider be lifted but if I have to seek medical help that will give them something to throw back at me to not cover it ever. I will look into the new law but with my luck it will be of no help. We are self employed so we have to get our own which makes things even harder on us and as I have found out with insurance companies they do what they want. I was so hoping that the new laws were going to help but so far not good for me.
Thanks

Old 07-15-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

So are you looking for ways to cope with the neck problems until then so you can avoid the docs? We can help you there.

What are the symptoms you're having and what did the tests say when you had insurance. You'd be surprised how long you can go without surgery. I had my spinal cord down to half thickness before I had any surgery(let alone what was done to the spinal nerves).

What can we do to help you?

hugs.............Jenny

Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
(female)

cherylee HB User

hi there
my name is cherylee
i have had a spinal fusion C5/C6
i had pain in my right arm to start off with and now the pain has gone to my left arm
i also have back pain inmy soulders
i have become so very depressed and i cant sleep at night for the pain
it has only been two weeks since the op
is this normal
and does this go away or is something wrong
please someone help me
im going crazy
cherylee:

Last edited by cherylee; 08-05-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

When you took this policy, did you have prior coverage that had expired less than 63 days prior? And is this an individual medical coverage or through an employer? Often if you go from one plan to another with a gap of no more than 63 days they will "waive" any pre-ex exclusion but they need proof of the prior coverage end date.

In terms of the neck, if you are having the same symptoms is may be the level you had fused. If you check out a spinal dermatome picture or chart you'll see what damage at levels of the cervical spine are felt in what areas. I had a C5-C7 ACDF and knew that now C4 was having some problems but had some symptoms just like before the ACDF. Turns out I have "movement" in the fusion so I'll likely have that done.

After my ACDF I did have stenosis and had a posterior cervical formaniotomy to expand the foraminal openings that were impinging the nerves.

Closed Thread