It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
(male)

starfire99 HB User
Can someone translate this MRI report into "english" for me?

Here's the report I got on the MRI for my neck (cervical spine). I'd like to have it translated into terms I can understand. I understand a couple terms, but not all.

FINDINGS:

Reversal of cervical lordosis due to muscle spasm. Mild to moderate marrow edema in the end plates at C6/7, likely degenerative changes. Marginal osteophytes are noted at C3/4, C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7. No evidence of fracture. The paravertebral and paraspinous soft tissues are unremarkable.

Spinal cord: Subtle T2 hyperintensity is noted at the level of C6/7, probable cord edema.

C2/3: Disc desiccation with normal height. 2 mm disc bulge causing mild central canal stenosis. No evidence of posterior element hypertrophy or neural foraminal stenosis.

C3/4: Disc desiccation with mildly reduced height. 4 mm broad based disc bulge causing mild to moderate central canal stenosis. Severe right and mild to moderate left neural foraminal stenosis due to disc osteophyte complex, uncinate hypertrophy and facet arthrosis.

C4/5: Disc desiccation with mildly reduced height. 4 mm broad based disc bulge causing moderate central canal stenosis. Moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis due to disc osteophyte and uncinate hypertrophy

C5/6: Disc desiccation with moderately reduced height. 2 mm disc bulge with 3mm left paracentral protrusion causing mild to moderate central canal stenosis. Mild right and moderate to severe left neural foraminal stenosis due to uncinate hypertrophy, osteophytes and facet arthrosis.

C6/7: 2.5 mm retrolisthesis of C6 over C7. Disc desiccation with severely reduced height. 4 mm broad based disc bulge causing moderate central canal stenosis. Moderate to severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis due to uncinate and posterior element hypertrophy.

C7/T1: 1.5 mm posterocentral disc protrusion and mild posterior element hypertrophy. No central canal or neural foraminal stenosis

IMPRESSION:

1. Grade-I retrolisthesis of C6 over C7

2. Subtle T2 hyperintensity of cord at C6/7, probable cord edema

3. Cervical spondylosis with multilevel disc disease as detailed. The changes are moderate to severe at C3/4 and C4/5 levels and severe at C6/7 level causing significant central canal and neural foraminal stenosis.

Compared with prior study, there is no significant interval change.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Pebble Beach HB User
Re: Can someone translate this MRI report into "english" for me?

Hi I just saw your post. Your findings concern me. The 3rd impression under findings states that you have severe changes from C3-4 thru C5-7. What this is saying is this. First of all think of your spine having nerves running thru the center of the spine. It's like a straw that has all the nerves running down the center from the Top to the Bottom of the straw. When it says that you have severe central stenosis it is referring to the nerves that are running down the center of the spine.
The foramina refers to the areas where the nerves exit the spine. For example at each level of the spine there are openings where the nerves exit. Depending on where the opening is will determine where the nerves go. One level the nerves are what affect your hand your arms. Nerves going to other parts of the body such as legs etc.
So you are having problems not only with the center of your spine but with the areas where the nerves are exiting your spine. Are you getting pain in the arms or the shoulders. tingling, numbness in the upper arms or in the hand area?
Who are you treating with? Orthopedist or neurosurgeon? Either one can deal with these issues but make sure who ever you see that they specialize in spine problems.
It sounds serious from reading the report. Please followup soon. Has physical thereapy been tried? Any medications.
Please let us know what happens. Good luck

Old 08-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
(male)

starfire99 HB User

I knew what central canal stenosis and neural foraminal stenosis are. The ones that I don't know about are the cord edema and the marrow edema. I have no idea what that is. Also about the reversal of cervical lordosis due to muscle spasm. I have no idea what that means.

Here's my condition. I was injured 10 years ago at work when a 40lb box fell on my head. it initially screwed up at least 3 discs in my neck. C4/5, C5/6 and C6/7. In May, I was involved in a car accident. I was read ended while waiting for a vehicle in front of me to turn. Below are my symptoms before the accident, and then new symptoms after the accident. There may be some things I am forgetting here. My meds mess with my memory.

Before Accident: Chronic severe neck and shoulder pain. Reduced range of movement and severe fatigue. Developed a pinched nerve in my neck causing pain in my right arm and hand and mild to moderate numbness in my right hand which comes and goes. (The mild part is constant. The moderate part comes and goes). Pain from the neck radiates throughout the body to a lesser degree. The muscle pain is also moderate to severe, depending on the day. It also leaves me with the constant urge to stretch my neck at all times. If I stretch, it causes pain, but if I don't stretch, it also causes pain. I can't win.

After Accident: Immediately after I got out of the car after the accident, I experienced numbness in my left arm and hand. Since then I have moderate to severe numbness constantly in my left hand and moderate numbness in my left arm. There's also moderate pain in my left arm and hand. I also experienced pain in my lower and middle back. I've been experiencing pain in varying degrees underneath my right shoulder blade near the middle of my back. I've also been diagnosed with G.H. instability in my right shoulder. I had an MRI Arthrogram done and am awaiting the results. The doctor thinks it may be a tear in my shoulder joint. Possibly my rotator cuff. All other injuries were aggravated and are now worse then they were before the accident.

Treatment: I've tried physical therapy before the accident without success. In fact, I've done two different stints in physical therapy to no avail. I had trigger point, facet block and epidurals done on my neck and an epidural on my lower back. The epidural on my lower back helped and has the lower back pain under control. The trigger points and epidurals have had only a minor affect. The facet blocks have managed to reduce the pain in my right arm, but not eliminate it. It's gone from severe down to moderate on some days and mild on others.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #4
(male)

starfire99 HB User

I forgot to mention that I also have a congenital condition with my spinal cord canal that causes it to be narrower than most people's spinal canals. So basically, if it's bad on other people's spine, it's worse on mine because there is less room for things to move.

Closed Thread