It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2002, 10:15 AM   #1

helplois HB User
L5 nerve damage

More than a year ago, I had a spinal tap. Unfortunately, this procedure caused me a great deal of pain and resulted in my L5 nerve being damaged. Since that time, I am unable to walk and my low back hurts all the time. I have regular physical therapy and chiropractic treatments. My situation has improved a little bit, but unfortunately, I still cannot walk !! Furthermore, I need a massage for my back everyday, otherwise, I'm not able to sleep !! The pain is simply too much! Does anyone have any ideas or information ? Thank you !

Lois
<p>[This message has been edited by moderator3 (edited 04-11-2002).]

Old 04-16-2002, 12:02 PM   #2

since_birth HB User
Re: L5 nerve damage

Wow, i don't know exactly what to say except to ask a few questions.
Who did this spinal tap and why?
Are they not liable for the damage it caused you then and the dterioration to what's going on now?
Had you been working at the time, meaning are you able to receive benefits either medical or monthly to live on in the scheme of things?
My firt advice would be to go to a doctor who actually seems to understand your problems. And i mean a medical doctor, not a chiro or massage therapist. You need to know exactly what's wrong and exactly what your choices are to do about it. Not being able to walk is very bad. You need to get your options together as to either something conservative to help you get there, or by more invasive means either surgery or phrmaceuticals, to be able to get your life back from the pit it seems to be in now.
If one doctor won't tell you anything, then go to someone else. Don't let them get away with just saying it's nerve damage and you'll have to live with it's difficulty and/or pain. You need guidence from a medical professional. I'd go to a neurologist initially to get a diagnosis and options and then you'll be sent to a pain management doc maybe after trying different things that are conservative like injections and physical therapy and such.
Anyway, a nerologist should be able to get your options together first, but not the one you had the spinal tap from!
Good Luck!

------------------
L5 S1 Radiculitis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread