It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2002, 10:29 AM   #1

Rita B HB User
Diagnosis: Cervical foraminal stenosis C5-C6

I have recieved a brief diagnosis from my Dr.'s office. I go in Monday, (June 10) for a review of the findings. From what I have read on the internet, I think I will probably be looking at surgery to relive the pain and other sysmtoms. In addition to the above I have Buldges in other locations.

Has anyone out there had this diagnosis. What was done to correct it?

Old 06-07-2002, 11:28 AM   #2

lizbeth2 HB User
Re: Diagnosis: Cervical foraminal stenosis C5-C6

Hi Rita,

I know my MRI reports are filled with the words forimal stenosis and central canal stenosis. I won't see the neurologist for 2cd opinion until 6/14/02 and planned on asking what the difference was. I went back and read some of you prior posts. I'm sorry you've been in so much pain. One of your prior posts said you would not get your strength back....I'm not so sure that is true. It may take work and time, but a good PT (and a good attitude on your part) can do wonders. Once you know what route your going, do some research about who are the best PTs in your area. I know here in Boston, Sports Therapists seem to be the best. Let us know what the Dr. says on Monday. Have a nice weekend.

------------------
lizbeth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2002, 05:55 PM   #3

Saints85 HB User

I hope this helps I found this at spine-health.com

Cervical foraminal stenosis
Foraminal stenosis (narrowing of the cervical disc space) may arise without any disc herniation. The majority of symptoms is usually caused by one nerve root on one side. Typically, the condition is characterized by:

The pain develops slowly (versus acute pain)
May develop over many years
The pain is not continuous
The pain is related to an activity (such as bicycle riding) or position (such as holding the neck in an extended position)
The condition is caused by enlargement of a joint (the uncinate process) in the spinal canal and can be confirmed by either an MRI scan or a CT with myelogram.

Unlike many other back or neck conditions, most conservative treatments (such as medications or other modalities) are unlikely to be of much benefit. Traction may provide some pain relief.

Most often, patients choose either activity modification or surgery to relieve pressure in the nerve root.

Activity modification. If patients are not unduly troubled by foregoing a few activities and are not in a great deal of discomfort, choosing to live with the condition is a reasonable option. Delaying or avoiding surgery is not dangerous, and surgery may always be considered at a later date.
Surgery. Surgery usually includes an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion in which the disc is removed and the disc space is distracted open to allow opening of the foramen and give the nerve root more room. A bone graft is left in the disc space to keep in distracted. The surgical procedure is reliable in terms of pain relief and has minimal morbidity (such as postoperative pain). It can usually be done with an overnight hospital stay and then takes about 2 to 6 weeks to return to normal activities.

This site has some great info to offer. drdillin.com go into Spine Education and then into Spine Animations there you can view the surgery they recommend.

Good Luck!~KIM

Old 06-07-2002, 06:08 PM   #4

Rita B HB User

Kim and Lizabeth,

Thanks for your responses..they were both most helpful and informative. It will be interesting to see what the Doctor says on Monday. All I can say is that I cannot live with the constant pain. I have had therapy and although it feels good while they are working on me, is does not relive my pain. I'd like one day and night of no pain. I cannot take it much longer.

Rita

Old 06-09-2002, 07:10 PM   #5

safetygirl HB User

Hi Rita,
My MRI showed problems at c5-c6. I've been looking at the posts trying to find out what your symptoms are, to no avail. Can you tell me your symptoms?
Thanks

Closed Thread