It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
(female)

lynnchat HB User
bulging disk in neck and dizziness

I have 3 bulging disk in my neck and they are pressing aginst the nerves. The pain goes from my neck down to my right shoulder and down my right arm all the way to fingers. I am currently on Neurontin, Meloxicam, flexeril, darvocet. In the last week or two I have been getting dizzy and will stagger across the room. Sometimes at night I will be asleep and all of a sudden I will wake up by a spinning sensation. It feels as though my eye balls are spinning. When I open my eyes the room will be spinning so fast that it is unreal. After I close my eyes it will quit after a few seconds or so. I will be seeing the neurosurgeon Monday. But this new dizzy\spinning sensation is new and not sure if I should wait til Monday or not. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User
Re: bulging disk in neck and dizziness

The spinning sensation is probably vertigo. I doubt it is related to your neck problems, but I'm not a doctor.

Vertigo is caused by a problem in your inner ear when the fluids get out of whack and pressure is put on delicate structures there. It can be caused by an inner ear infection, medications, or by chemical imbalances/pressure in your fluid-filled sacs in the inner ear. Talk to your doctor to get advice on what to do, but many doctors recommend a salt-restricted diet, chewing gum, use of decongestants such as Sudafed, and drinking lots of water. It can take weeks or months for this condition to improve, and once you've experienced one bout of it you are at risk of experiencing future bouts as well. I've suffered from this since I was 19.

It would probably be a good idea to visit your primary care doc to be evaluated and treated if necessary. Some like to run a course of antibiotics in case it is an inner ear infection. It would also be good to talk to your spine doc as they are familiar with your condition to see if they think your dizziness could be possibly be caused by your neck problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

Also, do you have ringing/buzzing in the ears or are your eyes actually moving back and forth quickly at times (like when you first wake up)? Those are sometimes symptoms that can accompany vertigo and you should mention those to your docs when you talk to them.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I had that too and the staggering is part of it too. it's not an emergency but do tell the neurosurgeon.

May I suggest you read a response I just gave to another poster. Under the thread, "New here with Cervical and Lumbar stenosis" by STENOPAIN, I wrote down what spine docs are really looking for when they see you. It's NOT pain. If you know what they are looking for when you go, you will be able to give them relevant info. Way too many people think its all bout the pain and they don't care about pain...they care about paralysis. Nerve damage and nerve functioning.

Please read it and if you have any questions before your visit, let me know. I got blown off by my first neurosurgeon until my neurologist told me what they were looking for. #2 had me surgery in 4 weeks.

Jenny

Old 11-05-2010, 05:11 AM   #5
(female)

lynnchat HB User

I have no ringing in the ears and they do not hurt at all.

When I have the spinning sensation will be in my sleep, it will wake me up when it happens.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
(female)

lynnchat HB User

Went to see the neurosurgeon this morning. He said with what is wrong with me he can not fix it surgically and I will have to live with it. I have cervical spondylosis c5-6 and c8 radiculopathy. I have an appointment on December 1st at the pain clinic to see about getting the shot in my neck.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
(female)

Myranda HB User

I have bulging disks c2 through c7, I went to P/T and he was checking my movement range, when he made me turn my head to the side as if I was looking over my shoulder I became very dizzy every time & It took me a couple of minutes to recover from the sensation, I am not a doctor but I assume that you may have been laying in a position like that that put pressure on a nerve that caused the dizziness if it in fact went away after a few minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnchat View Post
I have no ringing in the ears and they do not hurt at all.

When I have the spinning sensation will be in my sleep, it will wake me up when it happens.

Closed Thread