It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

dhwhite HB User
What areas of the body are affected by C-3, C-4, C-5?

Bone spurs at all of these impinging on spinal canal from MRI w/wo contrast.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: What areas of the body are affected by C-3, C-4, C-5?

Hi there DHWhite....I'm about 15 miles to your northwest, in Canton.

Got a question....is the impingement on the spinal CORD or the spinal NERVES? Or both? The nerves cause problems in the distribution of the nerve. The cord compression will cause problems below the level of the compression...ie. feet. legs etc.

Bone spurs filling up the spinal CANAL can cause nothing or a lot.

So can you check your MRI report and let us know if it's nerve, cord or canal or a combination of all of them. Reprint the MRI here if you want. We're good at interpreting.

It makes a HUGE difference.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
(female)

dhwhite HB User

I am actually in Ellington. Had MRI done at new Jefferson Radiology MRI in Enfield. Neuro from Hartford and my primary got MRI results. Neuro calls me and says basically spinal MRI is fine with a possible nodule of thyroid. My primary calls me and asks if the neuro discussed MRI with me. She asked if he told me that these three sites had spurs pressing on the spinal canal. I have the CD of the MRI but am waiting to see the typed copy of the radiologists' report that the doctors have. How do you load an MRI up so you could see it?

Old 12-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Don't post the actual pics...they don't come out well. When you get a written copy of the radiologist's report, post that. But if it's the canal, they you might not need surgery(or anything) for a while. It just gets tight but may not be doing any damage. Sounds like the neuro was not impressed so that is good.

Let's wait for the report and see.

Left more info on your other post.

Jenny

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

dhwhite HB User

Got radiologist's report on spinal MRI. Here it is:

MRI Of the Cervical Spine:
Findings:

Of incidental note is a 22 mm mass in the left thyroid.
No evidence of a CSF leak. The cervical medullary junction and spinal cord are normal. No abnormal enhancement. There is a moderate kyhotic curve to the upper and mid cervical spine.

c2-3: Normal

C3-C4: A moderate central and left disc ostrophyte complex is present with mild mass effect on the spinal cord.

C4-C5: Mild disc space narrowing and mild hypertrophic changes of the endplates. A moderate central and right disk osteophyte complex is present with mass effect on the spinal cord.

C5-C6: Slight broad disc osteophyte complex is present without mass effect. Slight uncovertebral hypertrophy on the right.

C-6-C7: A slight central and right disc osteophyte comples is present without mass effect.

C7-T1: Normal
MRI Of the Thoracic Spine:
Findings: Except for minimal degenerative changes of the anterior endplates, normal examination. No evidence of a CSF leak. The paraspinal tissues are normal . The spinal cord is normal. The conusis normal. No abnormal enhancement.
The vertebral alignment is normal. No intrinisc bony abnormality. The disc heights and contours are normal. The bony canal and neural foramina are well maintained.

Conclusion:

1. No evidence of a CSF leak
2. Degenerative changes in the cervical spine with disc osteophyte complexes at C3-C4, C4-C5, C5-C6,and C6-C7 with mass effect.
3. A 22 mm left thyroid mass.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:53 AM   #6
(female)

dhwhite HB User

Did you see my results that I posted? Please help interpret!

Old 12-05-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi....sorry...busy weekend. Don't get on too often on the weekend.

You know they found a nodule on your thyroid and your primary can arrange tests for that.

As for the spine....it isn't that bad. Don't worry.

Your neck has developed what they call a "kyphotic curve" in the upper areas and that is normal as we age. All it means it that instead of curving inward, it has gone straight and somewhat curved out. That is normal but does mean some problems. Think about it. When something bends one way and then another, everything inside is pushed to the wrong side. That is what is happening.

The top vertebrae are fine. You get some trouble beginning at the C3-4 area. Osteophytes are bone spurs from arthritis...again, normal with age. But the other thing that is normal as we age is the disks between the vertebrae dry out, get thinner and can start to spread out. So we can get a combination of a dried out disk and bone spurs together and in your case, you have this combination in 3 areas. Remember, the disks are between the bones so that is why they use 2 numbers....they are in between the 3rd and 4th vertebrae and the bone spurs are there too.

As these bone spurs grow, the dried out disks tend to spread out as well and they push backwards toward your spinal cord thanks to the curve going the wrong way. They can then push on the cord. It doesn't say if the bone spurs are just hitting the lining around the cord(thecal sac) or are hitting the cord itself. But it also does NOT say that the cord has been indented or narrowed so that is good. That they would report.

What it seems to be saying is that at 3 levels, mild at C3-4, moderate at C4-5 and very slightly at C5-6, you have this combination of bone spurs and the disks pushing backwards at your spinal cord but not enough to actually cause a "dent" in it or to compress it. Believe it or not, the spinal cord can actually be compressed quite a bit. My cord was half thickness when I had my first surgery. Normal size is 11-12mms. and I was down to 6mms. and one neurosurgeon said I could take more compression and advised me to wait. And I had it at 5 levels...all of them indented(or compressed) my spinal cord and made it smaller than it should be.

Basically, you have spinal stenosis.....the area around your spinal cord is closing up on your cord. Stenosis is just a medical word that means "closing up" whether it be your spinal canal or a heart valve. It is not bad enough to do anything about at this time and may never be. Sometimes the arthritis just stops. And new surgeries are being developed that can fix it without fusing your neck. The longer you can wait for any kind of fix, the better.

But there is good news in this report too. You don't have any spinal nerves being compressed. Those are the nerves that leave the cord and go out to the body. When they are compressed by the same problems, you have excruciating pain along with a slow loss of function. No sign of that.

Your doc can help you manage the problems of stenosis. Tell your primary to do some investigating of "Laminoplasty"....that's the new surgery to fix stenosis without them fusing any of the vertebrae. Being done in Boston.

But the first thing you need to do is find out why you have a nodule on your thyroid.

Questions? Bet you have lots.

Jenny

Old 12-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #8
(female)

dhwhite HB User

Dear Jenny

Thanks for the in depth explanation. I am getting an ultrasound of the thyroid this week. It may explain some of the symtoms that I have been experiencing. I understand the thyroid can do funky things to your body, so I want to get to the bottom of this quickly.

Debbie

Closed Thread