It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Facial Numbness

Hello,

Does anyone know if foraminal narrowing at C2/C3 could possibly cause numbness of the cheek area?

Every now and then I get an area of complete numbness in my right cheek only. If I drew a circle on my face to show where it gets numb, I would start at my top upper lip, about 1/2 way or so from the corner to middle of the lip, go up right below my right nostril and make a circle up around my cheek, then down about half-way to the middle of my cheek, down not quite to my jaw, then back up the my lower lip in the same spot as my upper lip (If anyone can even understand what I just tried to make you picture! LOL) Anyway, this is the area of my right cheek that gets numb. Totally numb and feels like I just got novacaine at the dentist, even makes me slur very slightly, and have to watch how I drink something.

When I told my last PM about it, he said it might be due to a trigeminal neuralgia. I have looked this up before and it would make sense. Though I'm not sure if one would need to have an area other than their cervical spine imaged. I've checked out some dermatome maps and it appears that C2/C3 could maybe affect the jawlines, but didn't appear to affect the cheeks.

My MRI report of the cervical spine says: C2-C3 there is minor right uncovertebral hypertrophy (not sure exactly what uncovertebral is) but I know hypertrophy means enlargement and that this doesn't seem like a big issue. It also says there might be right foraminal narrowing. This caught my eye since my cheek problem is only on my right side. It's never happened on the left, at least not yet!

I also have:
C4/C5 disc bulge with mild stenosis
C5/C6: large central & left paracentral herniation impinging my spinal cord. Right, greater than left, uncovertebral hypertrophy & moderate ligamentum flavum hyperthrophy. Severe central canal stenosis (right greater than left), subarticular stenosis (never heard of this one before) , and moderate right foraminal stenosis.
C6/C7: mild stenosis with no focal disc herniation
(Any levels I left out had no herniation or stenosis)

So I'm sure that most of my cervical issues wouldn't cause cheek numbness, but I wonder if any amount of narrowing at C2/C3 could possibly cause it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Facial Numbness

Hey Bay...getting ready for more snow? We have another foot coming tomorrow.

Your C2-3 could be the problem. The 'uncovertebral" is a joint area on the vertebra and if it is enlarged with bone spurs and causing it to put pressure on that nerve, it could be affecting your face. Cranial nerves also affect the face however so you need to be aware of that too.

There is no nerve that exits at C1-2 and the C2 nerve actually goes all the way up to the crown of your head. C3 wraps around the mid head area and back of the neck. I'm looking at that too right now with all my left sided neck pain that is steadily rising. Except my C3 is fused and so nothing should be going on. But RA can hit C1 and 2 so I'm a bit worried that it is RA.

On your question about "remarkable", I think someone just entered it incorrectly and for got the "un". If it were "remarkable, they would have reported what was remarkable about it. I've seen this before too and it is just a clerical error.

Stay warm tomorrow, more snow Friday night............Jen

Old 01-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Thanks, Jenny! I'm so sorry you're having all that new pain. I just read another post of yours stating this new pain is making you sick, so sorry! If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm definitely getting ready for more snow.....when will it ever end??? We were only supposed to get rain here today, but that was wrong. We got some snow, very wet snow and now it's all freezing. Last I heard we might get 4-8 inches where I am, so I guess I'll find out for sure in the morning. Happy happy joy joy! LOL

I actually found something on the net about the uncovertebral area. It said it's under the facet joint. Well, I have an appt. Monday with a neurosurgeon, so I'll ask him about my cheek numbness. You know, one time I actually had a small numb area on my scalp even, on the upper right side closer to the top. I get so many strange nerve pains and nerve symptoms in so many places, I feel like a voodoo doll.

I wish I knew of any suggestions for your new pain. Have you made an appt to see anyone about it at all?

Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Yeah, I see my RA doc next week, weather permitting. He will start the process of trying to figure out what is what. I'm just trying to see if I can give him some answers before I see him but I guess not.

Watch us get more major snow next Wed, and I miss my appointment.

Also, I get spots of numb and bad pain on my scalp...that's C2.

Stay warm.............Jen

Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ahhhhh, well, I had my appt. with a neurosurgeon today just as a consultation - and I totally forgot to ask him about the right cheek numbness I get now and then. I did find out, though, that I have weakness in my right hand.

Closed Thread