It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
(female)

Jenmilady HB User
Question MRI and the Cervical Spine Results need to know?

My son had a MRI on his neck and the results said he had Spurring on the C3-C4 C4-C5 C5-C6 levels. Does anyone know what spurring on the spine is?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: MRI and the Cervical Spine Results need to know?

I would assume that means he is developing bone spurs on the vertebrae. Bone spurs(also known as osteophytes) are a result of osteoarthritis(OA). OA tends to build bone in the wrong place when it senses that bone or cartilage is being damaged. This could be the result of age, disease or in a younger person, injury, especially from sports.

How old is your son?

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

Jenmilady HB User

[QUOTE=jennybyc;4676468]I would assume that means he is developing bone spurs on the vertebrae. Bone spurs(also known as osteophytes) are a result of osteoarthritis(OA). OA tends to build bone in the wrong place when it senses that bone or cartilage is being damaged. This could be the result of age, disease or in a younger person, injury, especially from sports.

How old is your son?

Jenny My son is 29. He also found out that there is quite a bit of narrowing in the spinal canal at C-3.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
(female)

Jenmilady HB User
Smile Re: MRI and the Cervical Spine Results need to know?

Jenny My son is 29. He also found out that there is quite a bit of narrowing in the spinal canal at C-3.
Thanks for your reply.

Old 02-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The narrowing is a bigger problem. Often you are born with the problem and it actually gets smaller with time. The bone thickens for some unknown reason.

Tell him to research a new surgery called a "Laminoplasty". It fixes the problem without a fusion. Fusions are where the trouble starts in the spine. It literally rebuilds the bone over the tight area and doubles the amount of room inside the spinal canal. Very new but very promising, especially for younger people. The biggest job is finding someone who does it...need a spine surgeon at a major teaching center.

Jenny

Old 02-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #6
(female)

Jenmilady HB User

Thanks for the info I will let him know.

Closed Thread