It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #1
(male)

felex HB User
spinal surgery prep question

i have to get this ACDF surgery march, will they place a cathered in my ding ding while am awake or at all? i don't think i can handle that ..

Last edited by felex; 02-09-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: spinal surgery prep question

If they do, it will be after you are asleep.

People who have had ACDF's...did you need a bladder catheter?(I had a posterior version of an ACDF and I did have one for 2 days).

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2011, 06:02 PM   #3
(male)

felex HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
If they do, it will be after you are asleep.

People who have had ACDF's...did you need a bladder catheter?(I had a posterior version of an ACDF and I did have one for 2 days).

Jenny
the NS said it would be the anterior, thru the neck i believe.i don't have a weak bladder or anything like that.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

They usually do put one in because the anesthesia they use for working on the spine is VERY strong....can't take a chance that you might "twitch".

But I've never had them do it while still awake. Always out...way out. And it doesn't hurt once in and or to take it out.

Let me post the question a different way so we get guys to answer.

Jenny

Old 02-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
(male)

felex HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
They usually do put one in because the anesthesia they use for working on the spine is VERY strong....can't take a chance that you might "twitch".

But I've never had them do it while still awake. Always out...way out. And it doesn't hurt once in and or to take it out.

Let me post the question a different way so we get guys to answer.

Jenny
yeah, lets hear some from some guys...

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hello, sorry I'm not a guy and didn't have ACDF, but I had laminectomies done and when I woke up, found I had a catheter. Whenever they did it, I certainly didn't know about it or feel anything. I can't say, though, if a catheter is always put in after one's asleep or not.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Catheterization is always done after the patient is asleep. The anesthesia medications are such that you would likely loose control of the bladder. So for their own sake and yours they do put in a catheter. For my ACDF they offered to keep it in overnight the first night and I was thrilled. I didn't have to move around to use a bed pan, etc. They took it out on day two. Uncomfortable but not painful.

If they deem you don't need it after surgery it's often taken out right before you wake up. Technically you are awake but you don't remember. If you've ever seen film of a surgery you see the doctors saying "jim, surgery is over, you are awake" but it's clear they are in lala land.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
(male)

felex HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpineAZ View Post
Catheterization is always done after the patient is asleep. The anesthesia medications are such that you would likely loose control of the bladder. So for their own sake and yours they do put in a catheter. For my ACDF they offered to keep it in overnight the first night and I was thrilled. I didn't have to move around to use a bed pan, etc. They took it out on day two. Uncomfortable but not painful.

If they deem you don't need it after surgery it's often taken out right before you wake up. Technically you are awake but you don't remember. If you've ever seen film of a surgery you see the doctors saying "jim, surgery is over, you are awake" but it's clear they are in lala land.
thanks for your reply,I still have to decide between fusion or ARD, which do ppl most likely to choose?

Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

ADR is not fully proven as effective in the long term. Have you confirmed if your insurance covers ADR? I have a friend who just had to have a fusion in the same area less than2 yr after ADR. From what I've seen the best candidates for ADR are those withno other signs of problem in any other level of the spine.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
(male)

felex HB User

Quote:
ADR is not fully proven as effective in the long term. Have you confirmed if your insurance covers ADR? I have a friend who just had to have a fusion in the same area less than2 yr after ADR. From what I've seen the best candidates for ADR are those withno other signs of problem in any other level of the spine.
this will be my first surgery, and there are other segments of my spine deteriorating do age (54) i suppose, the more i read the more i'm scared ****, i'm just 4 months short of getting my pension and fear getting terminated i dont trust my job in this respect.

Last edited by felex; 02-12-2011 at 08:33 AM.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

If you go out of work you have 12 weeks of FMLA under most employers. However, an employer can terminate if they decide for example a whole division or office is to be closed. Can you put off the surgery until the 4 month mark to result in financial security?

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #12
(male)

felex HB User

Quote:
If you go out of work you have 12 weeks of FMLA under most employers. However, an employer can terminate if they decide for example a whole division or office is to be closed. Can you put off the surgery until the 4 month mark to result in financial security?
i currently don't have FMLA, since i haven't had a need for it prior to my recent dianosis C6/7 herniation , i do have 60 + sick days banked to cover me for like 3 months. i am a bus operator here in nyc for going on 27 yrs. i belong to a union ( which deff don't trust!) should i apply for the FMLA asap? i don't know if i have enough time do get that done, i i'm sched for surgery march 7, . I asked the NS if i can postpone until atleast til after my birthday april, when i make my 55th birthday so that i meet both qualifications 25/55 to get my pension, he was not keen on this idea , basically told me "whats more important health OR job" pension is my only income stream :/ i'm wondering if the nyc transit authority will let me live off my accrued sick leave? many union members get a copy of the contract, we don't however, the union keeps us in the dark so we don't know whats what.

Last edited by felex; 02-12-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

FMLA is easy. Usually a one page document where the doc says "Joe Smith needs to be out of work for 12 weeks for his own medical condition". Some employers run sick tine and FMLA concurrently with extended sick pay (same time) and for some FMLA applies after sick pay is exhausted.

I understand some urgency but financial security is so important. If you get better and loose the pension in the process it doesn't help you. Sounds like a month difference? What symptpoms is the doc worried about that are so urgent?

When I had my cervical fusion my doc wanted it within 30 days. I told him if we waited 60 I would have 1 yr with my employer and have FMLA and STD while out (no sick pay, just PTO and at less than a yr of employment I had 7 days). He agreed to 60 days but did say "if you don't do it within 60 days I will have to refer you to another surgeon due to a high probability of permanent damage if not done in 60 days). What if insurance hadn't approved yet? He'd have to wait. Make sure a 30 day delay is viable to save your future financial security.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
(male)

felex HB User

Quote:
FMLA is easy. Usually a one page document where the doc says "Joe Smith needs to be out of work for 12 weeks for his own medical condition". Some employers run sick tine and FMLA concurrently with extended sick pay (same time) and for some FMLA applies after sick pay is exhausted.

I understand some urgency but financial security is so important. If you get better and loose the pension in the process it doesn't help you. Sounds like a month difference? What symptpoms is the doc worried about that are so urgent?

When I had my cervical fusion my doc wanted it within 30 days. I told him if we waited 60 I would have 1 yr with my employer and have FMLA and STD while out (no sick pay, just PTO and at less than a yr of employment I had 7 days). He agreed to 60 days but did say "if you don't do it within 60 days I will have to refer you to another surgeon due to a high probability of permanent damage if not done in 60 days). What if insurance hadn't approved yet? He'd have to wait. Make sure a 30 day delay is viable to save your future financial security.
I know from viewing my MRI with the NS that my herniation is severely pressing in my nerve root, I don't have any pain though but gate (walk) is a lil sloppy. I'm concern if i put this oper off til after mid april which is like 8 more wk away that he will not want to deal with me Do you believe that $$ has something to do with the Dr. urgency ?? it's all a gamble on my end.

Last edited by felex; 02-12-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:42 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

I do t think It wold be $. My thought was that March 7th to mid April is a 4-5 week difference. If after surgery you were unable to return to work what happens to the pension? Does sick time carry you through the "magic date"? Ask about FMLA to see if it runs concurrently. If it does you have 12 weeks of job protection.

Closed Thread