It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
(female)

hennopenno HB User
Question about Injury and pregnancy

Hello all, I'm new here and hoping to get some answers from women who have similar injuries to mine and have had children.
My injuries are:

Findings: There are presumed to be five lumbar vertebral bodies. Vertebral bodies are normal in height, signal intensity and alignment. Disc desiccation is present at the L3-4 and L4-5 levels. Mild disc space narrowing is seen at the L3-4 level with mild to moderate disc space narrowing at the L4-5 level. The conus medullaris is unremarkable in appearance terminating at the T12 level. The congenital size of the spinal canal is within normal limits. No paraspinal masses are seen.

T12-L1, L1-2, L2-3: no significant disc bulging, neural foraminal narrowing or central canal stenosis.

L3-4: There is a 2mm broad based disc protrusion with associated annular tear. In conjunction with broad-based bulding and facet joint hypertrophy, there is mild bilateral, left greater than right, proximal neural foraminal narrowing. There is mass effect on the ventral subarachnoid space without evidence of canal stenosis.

L4-5: There is a 4mm broad based disc protrusion with associated annular tear. In conjunction with disc bulging and facet join hypertrophy, there is mild bilateral proximal neural foraminal narrowing, more prominent on the left. There is mass effect on the ventral subarachnoid space without evidence of canal stenosis.

L5-S1: 1 to 2 mm broad-based disc bulging is seen. the neural foramina and central canal are patent.

What I want to know is:
Were you able to have children?
What was the pain/discomfort like?
Were you advised against pregnancy because of your spinal issue?
Have you had surgery(s) to help with the pain? Before or after pregnancy?
How old were you when you were diagnosed?

Being that I am only 22, I am very fearful about my options for having children. I have not asked my doctor yet seeing as I just started seeing him and I didn't think pregnancy questions were as important as the pain I am in now. I'm hoping someone can give me some input because I have been unable to get many answers via google.

More info: I was diagnosed in 2009, since then I thought I was stabilizing but recently ended up in the ER (on valentines day) because of extreme pain. I saw my doctor and he is going to try to get the insurance company to approve an epidural injection for the pain. I am terrified that my condition has worsened and I'm running out of time to have children before surgery or the pain is too intense to risk the strains of pregnancy.

thanks in advance,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread