It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #31
(female)

Jude4340 HB User
Re: posterior fusion c2-c5

Thanks for that affirmation about the pain meds. I know I push myself so your advice is appreciated. It really helps my stomach if I can stay off them but I am thinking one at bed time is good sometimes because it aids sleep too - and sleep is so healing.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #32
(female)

Saucer HB UserSaucer HB UserSaucer HB User

That is so true Jude, we all want to get off the meds as soon as possible but my doctor tells me I can do more harm than good by just stopping them. The staples are no sweat.
Im not sure how many I had but my scar is about 8 to 10 inches long and they just popped them out. Sounds like you are doing a great job, walking and stuff, just be very careful as I've fallen twice now.
Take care,
Saucer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #33
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Best thing I found to eat with my pain medication were Rice Krispie Treats. Every time I'd have surgery I'd buy a box of them that are pre-wrapped. Now I have no stomach issues with the meds and am on them long term, but when I only took them intermittently something about the rice krispie treats helped. Also, ask about other meds. For example, some people can't handle Percocet, but do ok with Vicodin, for others it's the opposite. I do well on most but can't tolerate oxycontin at all. I get so itchy it makes me forget the pain but I'd rather have pain than body itching!!! I also get bad stomach reactions to Demerol (not a pretty sight). So whenever I have surgery or an injury I tell them "anything but oxycontin and demerol"

Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 AM   #34
(female)

Hi AZ,
Im on 2 types of Morphine. A time released and a temp one that lasts only 2 hours.
The doctor just up the fast one to 4mgs instead of the 2. Never tried oxy was too scared to and Vicodin caused breathing probs after a few months. I hope these work for me. The doctor tried doubling the time released but couldnt stand the racing heart so back to 1 twice a day and the others when pain is too much. I hate to see the rest of my life on these kinds of meds but all long as there is no pain, thats ok.

Take care.
Saucer

Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #35
(female)

Jude4340 HB User

Wow that is good information. I am glad to hear the staples are not a problem. I think my incision is about 6inches. You fell? That is horrible. That was the thing that the PT emphasized before I left the hospital. She said "you must not fall!"

I found the food that helps me the most is Voortman's Oatmeal Flax Omega3 cookies. It is the first thing I would grab in the morning and I would eat them with a little yogurt and munch them throughout the day. I have craved carbs but now I am starting to want red meat. The other thing that bothers my stomach is tap water. Now I let it sit for 24 hours first.

I am on the oxycontin and the body itching is an enourmous problem!!!! I had no idea it was the oxycontin. I cannot take Flexeril as it makes my legs so jittery I can't sit still.

The other thing is that my internal thermostat seems out of wack. I get chills very easily and then pile on clothes till they go away.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
(female)

Yes, I fell. First time was on knees which wasnt horrible but second time was on side and that was just days ago. I think trying to do too much with weakenedd body and heavy head. I get up in the morning and eat Activia then take meds and go back to bed for a bit. I also use the flaxseed (ground up) in my oatmeal in the morning as all the meds cause constipation. I also noticed cold all the time, I have hyprothyroidism so just thought that was why but I think I heard meds can cause this too so be careful.
Weird thing about the water, never heard of that. I was drinking flavored water before surgery but now just regular as my taste buds havent come back yet. You would think since I cant taste I would lose weight but so far not the case. LOL. My mouth still wants it even though I cant taste it. Weird I know, Oh well, such is life.
Saucer.

Last edited by Saucer; 04-30-2011 at 07:30 AM.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #37
(female)

Jude4340 HB User

I was told it was the chlorine in the tap water and that it dissipates on it's own if you just fill a pitcher and let it sit for 24 hrs. We live in Colorado so the tap water is pretty good quality for the most part but there are still things in it.

I am soooo sorry to hear about your fall. I know if I just sit down too quickly or sit back too quickly I get a little reminder from my body.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:29 AM   #38
(female)

Thanks Jude, but Im ok just have to remind myself Im not 20 anymore. This is true about cholrine as we have a fish tank and do this all the time. Take it easy and good luck at the doctor, remember it wont hurt.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saucer For This Useful Post:
Jude4340 (04-30-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #39
(female)

Hi All,
Jude I wanted to let you know I just found out I have what they call frozen shoulders.
Apparently due to wearing collar for 4 months my shoulder have froze. Now getting steroid shot and PT to help. Move your shoulders around if you can, like in a cicle. It hurts like hell but will keep this from happening. I can now circle one because of shot but not the other since shot for that one not until next week.
Oh God I wish I had known about this.
Doctor says its from wearing collar for 4 months, no movement in shoulders.
I hope you are well.
Saucer

Jude4340 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 AM   #40
(female)

Jude4340 HB User

That's so weird to get this message this morning as I was saying to my husband last night that I thought the collar actually made things worse in some sense. I have been very carefully taking it off and gently just moving my arms and shoulders. No big motions. When I do this, the achiness starts to get better and some of the "hot spots" go away.

I arrange my pillows carefully with a feather pillow to cushion my head and neck and watch tv without the collar. It is very relaxing and I feel better after having the collar off for an hour or so.

Tomorrow I will be three weeks out. I got the staples out and I don't know if I am imagining this but I feel like I can feel the beginnings of the fusion. (probably just my active imagination!) I have some random burning sensations that come and go but no unusual redness or swelling.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #41
(female)

Strange how things work. I'm shocked they let you take collar off. Dr was infatic (sp) about not taking it off. Around 3 1/2 months I snuck it off for showers since I hated it taking so long to dry and by then the pads were starting to fall apart from wearing and washing so much. I dont know why they made me wear it so long maybe because of head falling down after last surgery.
I'm not sure about feeling the fusing maybe. Sounds like your doing well.
If you have irritation with incision I found aloe vera helpful not for the red as mine is still red, looks like frankenstein with all the screw heads (thought those were bones) up and down neck.
Take care,
Saucer

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #42
(female)

Jude4340 HB User

At my two week visit I was switched to a soft collar and told that I could drive short distances. I was told to wear the soft collar around the house and that it was legal to drive in it but if I went out for a walk to wear the hard collar. I do wear it most of the time and if it is off it is mostly when I am just sitting in a supportive chair. I can't stand the chafing on my skin!

I asked the doctor why they even use the collar if the hardware is in place and he said that some doctors don't use collars anymore and especially if it is just a one or two level fusion. He told me that they believe it helps with healing and good fusion and that it is a safety measure to keep you from suddenly turning your head if you get distracted or hear a noise or the like.

I have my six week appt. on June 1st and I am to get xrays the day before or that morning.

I am doing very well. The doctor is very happy about my progress. I find that I suffer though if I do too much in the day. Mother's day was just too much and Monday I had to take a pain pill in the morning and one at bed time. I feel good but I have to rein myself in.

The following user gives a hug of support to Jude4340:
Saucer (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM   #43
(female)

Wow, thats awesome. I had a soft collar after the laminectomy in 1994 and found it bothered my top palate from bottom teeth pushing on it all the time. Never got a soft collar after this surgery (was glad). Remember when you do too much it can slow down the healing.
Saucer

The following user gives a hug of support to Saucer:
Jude4340 (05-10-2011)
Jude4340 (05-10-2011)
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #44
(female)

Jude4340 HB User

Just an update...

So I am pushing 6 weeks out from my surgery (June 1). I am to get an xray before my June 1st appt to see if the fusion is making some progress I guess and I assume to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be. I feel pretty good and I don't wear my collar much around the house or when I am sleeping. I am always stiff in the morning though. My trapezius muscles are always tight in the morning and I do some very gentle shoulder rolls and a little gentle self massage. I feel like I have sorta reached a plateau. The healing seemed to go so fast at first and now it seems more incremental. I am still encouraged but feeling a bit impatient.

I am driving and back to work. I have worked the last three days and I have one day next week and then I am done for the summer. I work in a school as a clinic aide - easy job mostly sitting.

My biggest complaint is the incision which burns a little and some random burning hot spots that come and go. They are pretty uncomfortable. I have one spot that is tender to touch but it is next to the incision not directly on the incision and it is more on the surface not deep inside. Has anyone experienced these hot spots? I also have some deeper pain too that changes from day to day. Nothing serious - more annoying than anything.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:26 PM   #45
(female)

Hi Jude,
You are correct, the xray is to see that everything is where its suppose to be. I didnt have burning to the touch on my skin. I know burning is usually nerves so.. Glad to hear your getting better. Good luck and take care.
Saucer

Closed Thread