It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
(female)

ceo44 HB User
Unhappy BIG problem.. Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Hello all, I have been on here once before posting about my past ACDF on c6 and c5 that I had on 12-10-10. Well, since then everything seemed to be moving along quite well until about a month ago my neck has went all to hell since then and is actually hurting WORSE than before. It used to only hurt when I bent my neck forward but now I can't even lean it back. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it most likely happening again to me? i see my Dr. on Tuesday and I am on pain meds but NOTHING seems to help it as of now. I am just curious as to how long it took for anyone elses neck to mess up again after this surgery (if at all). And what they had to do about it? Will it be another surgery? Bigger plate? Whats the deal? Like I said, I just want to know other peoples experiences and also just want to talk to someone who knows what I am going through. I'm only 27 years old and it's so very frustrating Here is my first post after the surgery... Thanks in advance.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=828321
Attached Images
File Type: jpg neck.jpg (35.4 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by ceo44; 04-08-2011 at 07:23 PM.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
Wink Re: BIG problem...Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Hi, I understand your frustrations and concerns. Looked at your xrays and they are very similar to mine only I had C5-6 and C6-7 fused on 12/9/2010. Just a larger plate and more screws. At 6 weeks I was still very weak, no strength and very little ROM. At 10 weeks I think I saw a major difference with ROM and some strength. I only wore a soft collar after I think 4 weeks except all the time when I slept or in a car and at times when I was sore and achy. Still wear the collar for sleeping and once in a while when I am very sore.PT certainly helped. I try and complete a few exercises many times during the day. Just take your time and be careful with your neck. You only have one. I keep reminding my self of that. I go to work, grocery store, PT, make dinner and spend much of the rest of the time on the recliner icing my neck. I also wear a bone growth stimulator for 4 hours a day. At 3 months they saw a bit of bone growth. Do you wear a collar, had any x rays?

I kept a journal of questions and symptoms that concerned me throughout my pre and post op time. I continue to do so. It is important to know what symptoms you have, when they happen (what were you doing prior to pain), how long they last and what helped alleviate them. I never thought that they recovery would take this long. Do you remember doing something that may have caused the significant change? Did you lift something too heavy turn the wrong way, ....

I want to sleep well though the night, wake up without aches and pains and not limited ROM until I exercise. I thought I would be able to clean my house and do all the laundry without issues....not yet.

Let me know how you are making out. I am very concerned that I will need a revision surgery since areas above and below were not great, but the OSS didn;t want to fuse too much at one time. If I go in again I will try and get a ADR (artificial disk replacement) not another fusion. Just a thought to keep in the back of your mind since you are so much younger than me.

Time will tell. Again it is treatable.
12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
BMP & bone fragment filled cages
2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
2/17/2011 starting PT
wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
4/9/2011 ROM much better, still achy and stiff in the am
49 year old teacher
dealt with pain for more than 5 years before finally having surgery.
tried PT, cervical epidurals, selective nerve root blocks and acupuncture

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: BIG problem...Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

The pain your experiencing is something to be concerned about especially if it's a totally new symptom. I had a C5-C7 ACDF and never had any problems with severe pain, aside from occasional nerve pain and muscle spasms, during my recovery. Do you feel as if you are having some kind of muscle spasm? Taking muscle relaxers?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
(female)

Jezil HB User
Re: BIG problem...Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceceleo22 View Post
Hello all, I have been on here once before posting about my past ACDF on c6 and c5 that I had on 12-10-10. Well, since then everything seemed to be moving along quite well until about a month ago :( my neck has went all to hell since then and is actually hurting WORSE than before. It used to only hurt when I bent my neck forward but now I can't even lean it back. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it most likely happening again to me? i see my Dr. on Tuesday and I am on pain meds but NOTHING seems to help it as of now. I am just curious as to how long it took for anyone elses neck to mess up again after this surgery (if at all). And what they had to do about it? Will it be another surgery? Bigger plate? Whats the deal? Like I said, I just want to know other peoples experiences and also just want to talk to someone who knows what I am going through. I'm only 27 years old and it's so very frustrating :( Here is my first post after the surgery... Thanks in advance.

http://www.healthboards.com/boards/showthread.php?t=828321
Hi, I really feel your pain because I have the same thing. I had C6 and C7 anterior discectomy and fusion about six weeks ago. I have been in unbelievable NEW pain since then... particularly in my scapula and trapezius. I am on even MORE meds than I took before the surgery, and I'm frustrated because I have no idea how long this is going to last. Any idea?

Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
(female)

ceo44 HB User

OK y'all, thank you sooo much for your responses I talked to my Dr. and he wants to get another MRI because I am at risk for the other discs below and above slipping now. But were just hoping it's trigger point right now (He said thats common after that kind of surgery) All I'm waiting on now is my insurance to agree to pay for it :/

Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
(female)

frenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB Userfrenchfri1003 HB User
Wink Re: BIG problem...Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Glad that your doctore is ordering another MRI to see what is going on. Having additional pain and not knowing what is going on is scary. Hopefully insurance with authorize the MRI quickly. The waiting is the worse. Please keep us posted on your situation. I will be thinking about you.

This week I rec'd my Tens Unit in the mail. The PT recommended a unit, but stated that I needed a script from my OSS. My OSS worked with me and my insurance company. Both the PT and OSS have a relationship with the durable medical aspect of my insurance company and recommended the same unit by the same company. I was 100% covered by insurance. No copay or out of packet expense. I can use AA batteries, but I called the company to request a battery charger with rechargeable batteries similar to the cervical stim that i wear 4 h ours a day. I brought the unit to PT and they set it up and had me use it in the office to make sure I was comfortable with it. They also said that if I ever have any concerns to bring it back whether or not I have an appointment and they would help me out. They were very helpful.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
BMP & bone fragment filled cages
2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
2/17/2011 starting PT
wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
4/9/2011 ROM much better, still achy and stiff in the am
49 year old teacher
dealt with pain for more than 5 years before finally having surgery.
tried PT, cervical epidurals, selective nerve root blocks and acupuncture
4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit

The following user gives a hug of support to frenchfri1003:
ceo44 (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

FrenchFri:

Be sure to get replacement TENS pads., especially as you reach your deductible and out of pocket max in insurance. Then they'll cost very little. I ran out so my pain doc is going to write a prescription for replacement pads as soon as I confirm for him my TENS unit still works. Mine runs by 9v battery so have to go pick up a few.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 AM   #8
(female)

I was given 2 packs of 4 pads with the original unit. All of it was covered by durable medical equipment from my ins. I called and asked about the rechargeable pack and that is 100% covered also. Used it for the first time today. Very nice. I'm sure it will help as on Monday I need to drive 1 1/2 hours for the holiday. Going to try and leave early so that I miss most of the NYC traffic. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season with family and friends.

The Following User Says Thank You to frenchfri1003 For This Useful Post:
ceo44 (04-16-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

The pads will last a few uses and then the ability to stick will decrease. The company I got my unit from sent me new pads every month for about a year. My pain mgmt doc back then as creative, he'd have his billing person verify if/when I had paid my entire deductible and met my out of pocket max and then had the TENS unit ordered so automatically no cost to me.

Closed Thread