It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

Jeromepolitics HB User
Translation of MRI verbiage-NOT wanting a diagnosis.

Hi
If anyone can help me translate these phrases from my cervical spine MRI I would be very grateful! I received my report today and there are a couple of "sentences" I can't quite get. I have spent hours looking up words on the internet and have some information but some of these are still confusing.
About 12 years ago My C4-5 and C5-6 were fused. The pain I had was gone until 3 years ago and my surgeon had me using alternative pain reducing therapies. The pain has reached the point where it is no longer tolerable. I am scheduled for hip replacement on 9-9-11 but will reschedule if I can get my neck fixed. I have read postings on several sites and realized that certain symptoms I have could be coming from my neck.
The following is from my MRI report. My comments are in []:
  • Spondylosis
  • Anterior cervical fusion from C5-7 is again visualized and causing artifacts [unexplained shadows and altered densities]. Interbody graft levels appear stable. [Does anyone know what {unexplained shadows and altered densities} could be?]
  • C1-2 Stable Mild Ossification. [I think this means bone spurs.]
  • C3-4 Stable appearing disk. Increased hypertrophic changes [Acute or chronic inflammation] of right uncovertebral joint ?not? causing moderate/significant right C4 neural frontal narrowing. [Does this say it is causing moderate/significant narrowing or not? Is this or is it not causing problems?]
  • C4-5 Some progression of disk osteophyte complex formation.[ part of the degenerative process i.e. Spondylosis. ] Progressive narrowing of central canal with moderate narrowing but not compression of the spinal cord. Hypertrophic changes [Acute or chronic inflammation] of the uncovertebral joints cause moderate neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally. [Both sides of C4-5. Will continue to get worse?]?
  • C5-6 Stable postoperative changes. [I get that] Small osteophyte extending into the left C5 neural foramen causing minimal foraminal narrowing. [Left side of C5 has minimal narrowing?]

This report does not sound good to me. I will be talking to my surgeon next week but I tend to be an impatient person. I appreciate any and all help! Thank you for your help in advance!

Last edited by Jeromepolitics; 08-12-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Translation of MRI verbiage-NOT wanting a diagnosis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromepolitics View Post
Hi
If anyone can help me translate these phrases from my cervical spine MRI I would be very grateful!

I'll try.

I received my report today and there are a couple of "sentences" I can't quite get. I have spent hours looking up words on the internet and have some information but some of these are still confusing.
About 12 years ago My C4-5 and C5-6 were fused. The pain I had was gone until 3 years ago and my surgeon had me using alternative pain reducing therapies. The pain has reached the point where it is no longer tolerable. I am scheduled for hip replacement on 9-9-11 but will reschedule if I can get my neck fixed. I have read postings on several sites and realized that certain symptoms I have could be coming from my neck.
The following is from my MRI report. My comments are in []:
  • Spondylosis......Fancy word for spinal osteoarthritis
  • Anterior cervical fusion from C5-7 is again visualized and causing artifacts [unexplained shadows and altered densities]. Interbody graft levels appear stable. [Does anyone know what {unexplained shadows and altered densities} could be?]

The magnets bounce off the metals parts in the neck causing all sorts of shadows and that is your "artifacts". Makes it hard to see what is what with the fusion and plates and screws. But it looks good so far.
  • C1-2 Stable Mild Ossification. [I think this means bone spurs.]............More like calcium deposits...early arthritis
  • C3-4 Stable appearing disk. Increased hypertrophic changes [Acute or chronic inflammation] of right uncovertebral joint ?not? causing moderate/significant right C4 neural frontal narrowing. [Does this say it is causing moderate/significant narrowing or not? Is this or is it not causing problems.

The uncovertebral joints are small joints on the exterior of the vertebra that can build bone spurs that can hit nerves exiting the vertebra. The nerve leaves the bone and go around to the front of the vertebra and they have to pass by the uncovertebral joint and if it's arthritic, the bone spurs can rub against the nerve. They rate nerve compression by the terms "minimal", "mild", "moderate" and "severe" or "significant".
  • C4-5 Some progression of disk osteophyte complex formation.[ part of the degenerative process i.e. Spondylosis. ] Progressive narrowing of central canal with moderate narrowing but not compression of the spinal cord. Hypertrophic changes [Acute or chronic inflammation] of the uncovertebral joints cause moderate neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally. [Both sides of
    C4-5. Will continue to get worse?]?

Yes, usually. You go from minimal to mild to moderate to severe or significant.....it usually progresses. Unlike above, this time the bone spurs are hitting the nerve right where it exits from the bone(foraminal opening) and it is listed as "moderate". And your cord is okay as long as the canal is narrowed but you have fluid around the cord and no signs of compression.
  • C5-6 Stable postoperative changes. [I get that] Small osteophyte extending into the left C5 neural foramen causing minimal foraminal narrowing. [Left side of C5 has minimal narrowing?]
R

Remember...minimal, mild, moderate to severe/significant.....minimal is 1 out of 4. The "foramen" is the hole in the vertebra that allows the nerve to leave the cord and go out to the body.

This report does not sound good to me. I will be talking to my surgeon next week but I tend to be an impatient person. I appreciate any and all help! Thank you for your help in advance!
Hope this helps.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Jeromepolitics (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
(female)

Jeromepolitics HB User
Lightbulb Re: Translation of MRI verbiage-NOT wanting a diagnosis.

Thank you so much! After rereading the report several times and reading your explainations, I have come to the conclusion that it isn't as bad as I thought at first. I also realized that most of what is causing the pain can probably be fixed with surgery. If that is so, I should be pain free soon!
I have had so many surgeries and I have been blessed with fast healing that I should have this fixed and my hip replacement done by the end of the year. That will probably keep my pain manageable for at least 10-15 years!
Your assistance made things clearer. Thank you and bless you!

Last edited by Jeromepolitics; 08-14-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: left out word

Closed Thread