It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
Smile 3 bulging disks and narrowing ....plz advice needed

hi,ive recieved my results today from cervical spine mri which i had mainly because of severe headaches which i felt could be coming from my neck. the letter just simply says bulging disks on 3 levels most apparent at c5/6 with narrowing of the right c6 neural foramina, ive had a quick google on this and have all the symptoms ,ive been having pains in my neck,back ,chest arms,fingers for over a year now and reading this it all seems to fall in place yet the doctor who wrote my letter has said to carry on with headache meds and thats it,hasnt arranged another visit to explain these findings so i guess im just left to google myself to find out about it and just put up with it??? i can go back to my gp i know but i dont want to make any fuss if it really isnt anything to worry about. is the narrowing some kind of stenosis????? my neck and my head hurt 24/7 ,i spend a fortune on pillows cause its hard to find a comfy one which doesnt strain my neck. any advice on this would be great as i really havent a clue what it means or what i should do ,if its something to worry about or something common ????? its more of the narrowing im concerned about even tho advice on anything ive mentioned will be great, thank you x

Last edited by jellebeans; 08-19-2011 at 10:18 AM.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: 3 bulging disks and narrowing ....plz advice needed

Could you post some detail from your radiologist's report? They use rather standard nomenclature to detail the severity of abnormalities they observe (minimal, mild, moderate and severe), so it would help to know that.

Check out this link for symptoms due to C6 foraminal narrowing...

http://www.wheelessonline.com/ortho/c6_neurologic_level_c5_c6_disk

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi, thanks for reply,ive requested the radiologists report and copy of scan,wont have them until next week. the letter didnt say anything about how mild or severe etc x

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #4
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

I have all the many aches and pains your having, except the headaches. Have you ever considered trying a soft cervical collar? I ask , because you mentioned the many pillows you have purchased. These collars are generally for people who, are diagnosed with whiplash. I too went through many pillows. Nothing helped until, I started sleeping with a soft cervical collar. I am at the point that, I do not sleep with it on every night. Only when I feel as though a headache is coming. I was at the point where, sleeping was definately making my condition worse! I have a bulging disc at C4-C5 and, it is flattening my spinal cord partially. I have also purchased an inversion table and, invert at least once a day for 10 mins. This too has been of great benifit to me! Best to you in your search for answers. Health Boards have been a blessing for me!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User
Smile Re: 3 bulging disks and narrowing ....plz advice needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itralian1 View Post
I have all the many aches and pains your having, except the headaches. Have you ever considered trying a soft cervical collar? I ask , because you mentioned the many pillows you have purchased. These collars are generally for people who, are diagnosed with whiplash. I too went through many pillows. Nothing helped until, I started sleeping with a soft cervical collar. I am at the point that, I do not sleep with it on every night. Only when I feel as though a headache is coming. I was at the point where, sleeping was definately making my condition worse! I have a bulging disc at C4-C5 and, it is flattening my spinal cord partially. I have also purchased an inversion table and, invert at least once a day for 10 mins. This too has been of great benifit to me! Best to you in your search for answers. Health Boards have been a blessing for me!
hi,oohhh yes i want to try the collar !!! is it like just a foam collar??? ive had a quick look on ebay and they have some on there,if it sounds like your one ill get one and give it try

Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #6
(male)

Itralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB UserItralian1 HB User

They are a quite simple collar. about 4" high and you can adjust hieght of collar , by a strap that runs around the front vertically. There is also a velcro strap in back , that holds it onto your neck. It should give you much needed relief. let me know how you make out!

Old 08-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Hello jellebeans. How were you injured? Ever had a whiplash?
What meds are you taking for pain?

Last edited by nochange; 08-26-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: forgot to ask something

Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
(female)

FrightenedMe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellebeans View Post
hi,ive recieved my results today from cervical spine mri which i had mainly because of severe headaches which i felt could be coming from my neck. the letter just simply says bulging disks on 3 levels most apparent at c5/6 with narrowing of the right c6 neural foramina, ive had a quick google on this and have all the symptoms ,ive been having pains in my neck,back ,chest arms,fingers for over a year now and reading this it all seems to fall in place yet the doctor who wrote my letter has said to carry on with headache meds and thats it,hasnt arranged another visit to explain these findings so i guess im just left to google myself to find out about it and just put up with it??? i can go back to my gp i know but i dont want to make any fuss if it really isnt anything to worry about. is the narrowing some kind of stenosis????? my neck and my head hurt 24/7 ,i spend a fortune on pillows cause its hard to find a comfy one which doesnt strain my neck. any advice on this would be great as i really havent a clue what it means or what i should do ,if its something to worry about or something common ????? its more of the narrowing im concerned about even tho advice on anything ive mentioned will be great, thank you x
I, too, was just diagnosed with cervical stenosis and formainal narrowing from C3 all the way to C7. I had been having many, many neurological symptoms and finally after 2 yrs they decided to do an MRI. It shows that both of these are severe so I was promptly sent to see a Neurosurgeon. He told me that because there is hardly no space in my spinal cord from compression caused by 3 large disc extrusions, I'm at high risk for paralysis if I so much as fall and slightly hit my head or neck so surgery was scheduled immediately to decompress spinal cord. This was VERY scary to hear!!! Maybe you should go back to your GP and find out if surgery is the right thing for you. Good luck!!

Last edited by FrightenedMe; 08-28-2011 at 10:13 AM.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Frightenedme.... What kind of surgery is being suggested? (You might want to start a new thread if you are looking for advice, commiseration, etc)

Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
(female)

FrightenedMe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Frightenedme.... What kind of surgery is being suggested? (You might want to start a new thread if you are looking for advice, commiseration, etc)
Well, today was my first time here ans wasnt sure how to start a new thread..still not sure. as far as the surgery goes..i know im getting a fusion. the date is set for sept 8th. i dont know if there is another name for some other things hes doing or not. he said he wouldbe going in the front of my neck, using cadaver bones, metal plates and rods?? any of this sound right? i am going back in to talk to them when i have the pre-surgery testing done so that i can get specifics. i wouldnt even get the surgery if i knew i wouldnt be paralyzed someday. but since im a single parent ive got to do it. ive already lost the use of my left arm. had an emg a couple of months ago that was abnormal. it shows all the muscles inmy left arm have been damaged. thats when my dr ordered the mri. ive also got what theyre calling a "claw". soooooo ugly and embarrassing!!! my neurosurgeon says the surgery may or may not help in getting the use of my arm and hand back. he wont know till he gets in there to see how damaged the nerves are. ive also begun to lose control of my bladder and bowels he says all of this is from the compression..except he says he THINKS my arm and hand is from the same problem. i will figure out how to open a new thread...

Old 08-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
(male)

@Frightenedme: welcome to HB and, starting a thread is easy. Just check out Posting policies and rules. Then start a new thread by, posting your question(s). Best to you here on HB.

The Following User Says Thank You to Itralian1 For This Useful Post:
FrightenedMe (08-28-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 07:40 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochange View Post
Hello jellebeans. How were you injured? Ever had a whiplash?
What meds are you taking for pain?
hi,sorry for delay in replying everyone..didnt realise there were anymore posts here!! ive never had whiplash or injury to my neck but my problems did start after a minor but hard bang to the head quite a few years ago...i feel that its realated but every doctor says not. im on rizatriptan for pain but thats more for my headpains. ive since got a soft collar and only wearing a few hours a week while im at home if my neck is feeling to achey/strained which does help. im still waiting for my report to come through to see what it says exactly but ive heard nothing from my gp and do not have any follow up app with the neuroligist who ordered the scan. ive just been left ha ha!!! so i guess ill see what the report say and take it from there. but i remember last year i had thoracac scan and it said i have a fused bone or something like that but again was told its nothing so havent worried about it. i get back pain all over my lower back is prob worse than my neck at times so im wandering if i should get it checked out too, x

Old 08-31-2011, 07:49 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrightenedMe View Post
I, too, was just diagnosed with cervical stenosis and formainal narrowing from C3 all the way to C7. I had been having many, many neurological symptoms and finally after 2 yrs they decided to do an MRI. It shows that both of these are severe so I was promptly sent to see a Neurosurgeon. He told me that because there is hardly no space in my spinal cord from compression caused by 3 large disc extrusions, I'm at high risk for paralysis if I so much as fall and slightly hit my head or neck so surgery was scheduled immediately to decompress spinal cord. This was VERY scary to hear!!! Maybe you should go back to your GP and find out if surgery is the right thing for you. Good luck!!
hi, what sort of head symptoms did you have? ive constant random pains 24/7 and so excruciating headaches/pains,they are awful. i think after reading your post i will go back to my gp because i can see on an old scan that theres no space in part of my spinal canal..its so tight...im no doc so i maybe wrong but i dont think i am !! i cant understand that ive just been sent a letter and left to google what it means!!! i think actually now i will get a second opinion as the neuro i saw was not nice to me and i had to beg him for the scan as he saw no need for it and said it would be a waste of time as it would show nothing...maybe thats why he didnt want to see me again coz he would have to eat his words !!! how are you doing now??? is everything ok?? x

Old 08-31-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

jellebeans HB User

hi i must just add i do also have slight bladder issues...little accidents becoming more frequent when sneezing, laughing etc....just put it down to having a baby but it was 10 years ago and its just been the last 2/3 years this has been happening and this year much worse,mmm...wander if the narrowing would cause this???even tho its only at my c6 ??

Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
(female)

FrightenedMe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellebeans View Post
hi, what sort of head symptoms did you have? ive constant random pains 24/7 and so excruciating headaches/pains,they are awful. i think after reading your post i will go back to my gp because i can see on an old scan that theres no space in part of my spinal canal..its so tight...im no doc so i maybe wrong but i dont think i am !! i cant understand that ive just been sent a letter and left to google what it means!!! i think actually now i will get a second opinion as the neuro i saw was not nice to me and i had to beg him for the scan as he saw no need for it and said it would be a waste of time as it would show nothing...maybe thats why he didnt want to see me again coz he would have to eat his words !!! how are you doing now??? is everything ok?? x
hello, sorry its taken me a little while to answer your questions. i didnt notice you had posted..still trying to figure this site out:P
i dont have any headaches or pain for that matter. the only pain, which i dont even consider pain..more burning..and that is in my feet and thats continuous..it never stops and also in my left shoulder blade when i drive too long. its like pins and needles and then burning. i also have this crampy/ache in my lower belly/back or hips...i dont know where its coming from bcits all around my waist. ive had that for about 4 or 5 months but i also have IBD so that may be the cause.
im doing ok..gonna get surgery on the 8th..6 more days...ahhhhhh!!! i had to go to the ER a few days ago though bc i had complete numbess is both arms and between my thighs. just need that surgery that im not wanting asap:P
well i hope u get some answers and good luck!

Closed Thread