It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User
Can Cervical issues cause Tremor

[B]
Hi all. It has been a while since I've posted.

For update I have cervical issues. They found myelomalacia in the cervical area and spinal cord atropy at the C6/7 level.

My arms in my opinion are getting weaker. Not sure where all this will lead me in the future.

But here is my question. I have had tremors mainly of the left arm for years. I was initially diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and treated for it for over 2 years to find out that I was misdiagnosed.

Since that time the tremors seemed to have been very mild and usually no one noticed them.

But recently the tremors started to act up again. It's like tonight I picked up a glass with some soda in it and I had moderate to severe tremors. I thought I was going to either spill the soda or drop the glass.

Can the neurological deficits from the cervical issues cause tremors of the upper extremity?

My neurosurgeon a while ago before the tremors started up said causes of tremors would be traced back to issues with in the brain.

Yet over the years some orthopedic doctors said maybe there is a compression on the nerve that could cause the tremors.

I'm not sure what to believe.

Any suggestion &/or input.

Thanks for listening.

Allan

Old 08-26-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Can Cervical issues cause Tremor

hello and welcome. Ever had a neck injury? car accident?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2011, 04:08 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

Hi. I am not new to back injuries. No I've never been in a car accidet that ever caused an injury.

Here is a summary of of back issues:

1. 1994 ----- lumbar surgery for herniated discs;
2. 1995 ----- cervical surgery for stenosis;
3. 1997 ----- lumbar surgery for "flatback syndrome" harrington rods;
4. 2000 ----- cervical surgery for "kyphosis" harrington rods C3 to T4
5. 2005 ----- Spinal Cord Stimulator Implant which was removed this year.

As to the tremors they are nothing new. They started in 1994 and I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and treated for it until April of 1997. Turned out it was not Parkinson's and not Essential Tremor. The tremors that I was having still occurred over the year but much milder.

They never diagnosed the reason for the tremors. But once in a blue moon an orthopedic surgeon felt it may be due to some nerve compression.

More recently, my cervical problems have been radiating pain bilaterally but more so to the left; weakness in the arms; my neurosurgeon has noted a decrease neurologically meaning I was getting weaker.

A recent MRI show mylomalacia; weakening/softening to the cervical spine and spine cord atrophy. You were able to see the narrowing on the cord at C67.

The reason for the question about the tremor while it has occurred only once so far; I had this strange tremor in my left arm. Nothing like I had before. I was holding a small glass of soda in my left hand and there was a great deal of trembling in my hand. It was to the point that I thought I was going to drop the glass from my hand or spill what was in the glass. It was not like any other tremor that I had had in my left arm. Most of the tremors that I ever had over the years was in the left upper extremity. Not sure if what occurred was a 1X deal of of something brewing and developing into something.

Any thoughts? Any comments?

Thanks for listening.

Allan/Pebble Beach

Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Allan. I also have tremors in my left ram, the side that took the brunt of the fractures and damage to my spine. The neurologist said it had to be "brain" and not spine but it seems to coincide with when my neck is feeling worse and spasms in my shoulder muscles. Haven't asked my neurosurgeon....why bother...I know what it is.

So I am convinced it is from the nerve damage to my spinal nerves and cord. And since it will never get much better than it is now, I will never really know. But I don't have them anywhere else.

hugs............Jenny

Closed Thread