It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #1
(female)

hotglass9 HB User
Unhappy Burning Right Scapular Pain - Help?

Hi all,
I have an issue that's really been bothering me - it's come on gradually over the past couple weeks and isn't improving.

I am having serious pain in my right scapula - like just to the right of my spine. It is a burning pain and doesn't relent.

That on its own wouldn't bother me - but - I had a C6/7 fusion just about three years ago and I'm worried that perhaps I've herniated again, above or below. I have the scapular pain, and pain in my right thumb. Occasionally I get pain in the back of my upper arms but not too often. The thumb pain I chalked up to typing but now, I'm not so sure.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was it?

Any replies are appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

TazoWolf HB User
Re: Burning Right Scapular Pain - Help?

I had a lot of spinal fractures last September. I ended up having to have C4-C7 fused, but nothing was done for my T3 burst fracture or the other compression fractures. I, too, have burning pain into my scapula. From what I know as a med student, the C7-C8 nerve root innervates this area, so it could well be from the earlier injury and fusion. I truly sympathize. I wish I could be of more help.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

The thumb and scapula pain seem somewhat contradictory. The thumb is ennervated by the C6 nerve (from the C5-6 level), which is quite a bit higher than the scapula. Conversely, the scapula is low enough so that spinal pain at that level would be thoracic, and the thoracic nerves don't go into the arms.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
(female)

TazoWolf HB User

I did some searching, and will be asking my doctors about it on Monday, but most of my searches say scapular pain is usually at the C7-8 level, while thumb issues are from higher levels.

I was in a cycling accident 8 months ago, falling 30 feet. I sustainedb9 spinal fractures, and levels C4-7 had to be fused. While my right scapula was shattered, much of my pain is in my left scapular area and lower neck and upper trapezius. the only displacement were at the C7 level, with significant compression of nerve roots on the left side, and a burst fracture at T3. I'm unsure whether the scapular pain I'm having is from the C7 injury or the T3 injury.

Last edited by Administrator; 06-02-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Closed Thread