It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
(female)

kabatron HB User
C5-C7 Spinal Stenosis and Neuroforaminal stenosis

I have been diagnosed through an MRI with severe spinal stenosis in my cervical spine. I am having trouble getting the pain under control and I don't see the surgeon or internal med. doc until the 28th. My doctor gave me hydrocodone 5/500 and wants me to take 4 a day. It's not working. I have lidocaine patches too. They don't help at all. I've been using biofreeze and a lot of advil too. I also take nortriptylene for nerve pain. Does anyone have advice about pain management. I have pain down my left arm into my hand which is totally numb. I also have pain in my lower back and down my left leg. My shins hurt too. Is the other pain related to the neck problem? Thanks in advance for advice.

The following user gives a hug of support to kabatron:
joaneeo (12-23-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: C5-C7 Spinal Stenosis and Neuroforaminal stenosis

K - I am sorry you are having so much trouble. I'm afraid I can't help with pain advice, but several others here know a lot about that subject, and hopefully they will answer your questions.

If you want any extra (and reasonably well-informed) opinions about your MRI, please post the radiologist's report. It might help you to go into a conversation with the surgeon with as full an understanding as possible of your situation, and the options for remedying it.

As for seeing "the surgeon or internal med. doc", why would you waste time with an internist? It seems that you are well past that point, and seeing anyone other than a surgeon can only cause delays.

I would strongly advise you to start lining up a second and third opinion, too. It takes time to get these appointments and, if you're in considerable pain, you'll be less inclined to wait and more inclined to just go with whatever you're told by the first surgeon you see.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 09:01 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Sorry, I just noticed your other thread where you gave a good-enough rendering of what the radiologist said. I wouldn't change anything I said on the other thread. I notice Jenny neither contradicted nor added to anything I said, so I guess I have her tacit agreement.

I realize you are in no mood to be scolded, but it would help if you limited yourself to a single thread. That way, readers can go back to the beginning, see everything you have written about your condition, plus all of the following conversation.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
kabatron (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #4
(female)

kabatron HB User

Thanks for the advice. Another person asked me why the internal medicine doc. I'm not sure either, my doc. said I should. I do have an appointment with the surgeon on the 28th. I will transcribe what the mri results say here:
C5-C6 Posterior disc osteophyte complex. Mild to moderate spinal canal stenosis. Mild right-sided neuroformaminal stenosis.
C6-C7 Large left posterolateral disc osteophyte complex. This flattens the thecal sac and indents teh spinal cord. Moderate spinal canal stenosis. Severe left-sided neuroforaminal stenosis.
Impression:
Spinal canal stenosis at C5-C6 and C6-C7
Severe left sided neuroforaminal stenosis at C6-C7 secondary to a disc osteophyte complex.

Any input on this would be appreciated.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
(female)

kabatron HB User

I think they are sending me to the internist for possible rheumatoid arthritis. My dad had that and he had many surgeries and died from leukemia at 62. Do I need to worry about paralysis. I keep imagining worst case scenarios and I can't stop worrying. I have no faith in doctors because it has taken them years to figure out where the pain is coming from. I could see them suggesting pysical therapy or injections that don't work and that cause me more pain. I don't see the surgeon until the 28th. I'm hoping I will be o.k. until then, but I read a couple of case studies of people who had a similar condition and who were paralyzed from sneezing. And the pain is making me a little crazy in the head. I've been trying to stay calm, but it's difficult.

Sorry about the two threads. I'm new to this.

Old 12-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

"You might be paralyzed" is something lots of docs say lots of times. Your radiologist's report is not all that scary, actually. I've seen worse, namely my own.

You have two more pressing reasons to deal with this as soon as possible:

1) you're in a lot of pain

2) temporary nerve damage can become permanent if left too long

Old 12-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User

The only thing that takes the edge off my pain is 800 mg of ibuprofen and about 900 mg of neurontin, 3 x's a day. Hydrocodone did nothing for me.I have some similar problems. See a good neurosurgeon and always get two opinions. This site has given me confidence that people can get through these surgeries and sometimes with alot of relief . Goodluck to you!

Old 12-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #8
(female)

kabatron HB User

Yesterday I went to speak to the physical medicine doctor that I was referred to. She had not looked at my MRI yet and asked me the same questions that I have answered 50 times already. She prescribed neurotin to take along with the other meds they have given me. She also told me that we can absolutely fix my problem without surgery, using physical therapy, rest, chemicals and possibly injections.

I went to my physical therapy appointment and the doc. had looked at my MRI. She tried just a couple of things to help relieve the pain, but told me that physical therapy can move tissue, but it cannot do anything about the condition of the structure of my vertebra. She was really nice, and I think honest, and she said that pt will not help my condition. She gave me a tens unit and nicely told me that she seriously doubted that it would work for what's going on with me. I know this doctor. She's been doing pt for over 20 years. She told me I will most likely need surgery. I'm glad she was honest with me. I was also prepared because of the advice I have received from people on this board, thanks!

Thanks. I have a couple of questions. I've been doing a lot of reading about the cervical spine. I have an appointment to see the neurosurgeon in a few days. If the neurosurgeon suggests doing injections or nerve root blocks, is this something that can actually help long term or do the injections delay the inevitable?

My understanding is that the steroids help with inflammation, which helps with the pain. If the osteophytes are causing the problem, will damage occur to my nerves, thecal sac, cord, etc. (without me feeling the pain) even if I get relief from injections?
And since we know exactly what the problem is, would the best option be to go ahead and fix the problem with surgery before it causes irreversible, damage?

Old 12-22-2011, 06:49 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I doubt that the neurosurgeon will suggest anything but surgery. After all, surgery is what neurosurgeons do. That physical medicine doc who wants to keep you out of surgery will give you some idea of how self-interested and even downright dishonest docs can be.

Let us know what the ns has to say....

Old 02-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
(female)

Pwalla57 HB User

I have structural pain too. It started July 2011. I went to 19 PT appointments and he basically kicked me out and said he's just torturing me and not helping. I went to 9 acupuncture appts. , again no help. I had a c7 nerve block that lasted about 2 days and an epidural that did not do anything at all. I have a bone spur hitting a nerve and c5,6 are herniated and have foraminal narrowing, cysts and bad facet joints(don't know all the terms)basically spinal stenosis.The catalyst was teaching the butterfly stroke. I've taught private swim lessons for 8 years and I think it took its toll on me. In a month I'm getting c5,6 AcDF with a foraminotomy and c7-t1 fused. So fun! BTW I'm 55 yrs old.
I take 900 mg of neurontin and 800 mg of ibuprofen. The ibuprofen works alot better than hydrocodone (which barely helps) for my structural problems. I hope maybe it can give you a little relief. I'm usually on my back by 2-3:00 in the afternoon. Just driving to the store, you end up paying for it in pain later. I wish you luck.

Last edited by Pwalla57; 02-04-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Too long

Old 02-13-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
(male)

Injureduser HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabatron View Post
I have been diagnosed through an MRI with severe spinal stenosis in my cervical spine. I am having trouble getting the pain under control and I don't see the surgeon or internal med. doc until the 28th. My doctor gave me hydrocodone 5/500 and wants me to take 4 a day. It's not working. I have lidocaine patches too. They don't help at all. I've been using biofreeze and a lot of advil too. I also take nortriptylene for nerve pain. Does anyone have advice about pain management. I have pain down my left arm into my hand which is totally numb. I also have pain in my lower back and down my left leg. My shins hurt too. Is the other pain related to the neck problem? Thanks in advance for advice.
Hi K..This is my first post on this site....have had surgery for C5 - C7 stenosis to help prevent further nerve damage and sufer many similar symptoms.....What I have found to be my saviour for pain releif is a combonation of Lrica and Advil extra strength liquid jells. I take 150 mg of Lyrica 5 times per day and at the same time 400 mg of advil. Itake each set with a big drink of aloe vera juice ( for stomache and liver protection). This combonation has literally saved my life....I hope this information may be of use to you......all the best

Old 02-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #12
(female)

kabatron HB User

Thanks a bunch for the advice. Why don't doctors ever tell us about homeopathic remedies? Aloe Vera juice is exactly the thing we all should know about. The one problem with the advil is that I can't take it until they are comfortable that I am fusing. I guess it hinders the process. I am a big believer in advil, though. It's the only thing that seems to give me relief, so I take a few of them in the middle of the night when I wake up with the horrid neck pain and headache. I can't wait to get the green light for nsaids. I started taking baclofen lately too. Evidently the other muscle relaxant isn't really a muscle relaxant (cyclobenzaprine). I don't understand why doctors are not as informed about the true nature of the drugs they prescribe. It's frightening.

Old 09-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #13
(female)

ddv01 HB User

Over the past year I have had 2 lumbar surgeries at L5/S1 and a 2-level anterior surgical fusion at C4 thru C6, all with various stenosis issues, osteophytes, etc. My first lumbar surgery was performed on an emergency basis since my left leg collapsed from under me and I was admitted to the hospital the very same day with surgery the next. I was told that I was about a week away from losing use of my leg-as it is I've been left with permanent nerve damage because it wasn't caught soon enough but that is another story. My cervical surgery needed to be done because I had severe spinal cord compression in 4 levels, was experiencing numbness and tingling in both hands, pain in shoulders, arms and neck with headaches every day for about three weeks. Every one of my doctors who viewed my MRI results told me that I needed surgery-and quickly, and that no amount of PT, medications, epidural shots or wishing it away was going to fix it. My point is that sometimes surgery is necessary and it is up to you to find the best neurosurgeon you can find. I happen to have one that I trust implicitly and know that he would never perform a surgery that involved someone's spinal cord unless it was absolutely necessary. Before the first lumbar surgery he said that the MRI I brought to him taken 2 weeks previously did not warrant him performing surgery but looking at me and my symptoms did. He told me that he would not even consider surgery until another MRI was performed and only if it showed significant changes in my condition from the previous MRI. That is why he put me in the hospital, had another MRI taken and then compared the two and made his recommendation-the second MRI showed that my condition had changed drastically and that my disc was so large at L5 it was wrapping around my S1 nerve and flattening it completely-it was strangling the nerve. Surgery was not only warranted but necessary. Surgeons do not always want to cut-a good surgeon will be up front with you and not perform a surgical procedure unless absolutely necessary-that is the mark of an excellent doctor and I am lucky to have one. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread