It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

wavelily HB User
herniated disc pressing on spine in neck after car accident, pedestrian hit

Hi,

I got hit by a SUV as a pedestrian and as a result one of my injuries is that I have disc hernia and one of them is pressing on the spine. The neurosurgeon strongly recommended to get surgery to relieve the pressure on the spine.

I am hesitant to have surgery, most people think that neurosurgeons are just trying to make money. I dont know what to do. I am afraid of the longtime consequences of having that kink on my spine and not doing anything about it. If it was "just" pressing on the nerves, I would say no in a heartbeat but this is the spine we are talking about.

I also have other disc herniation that I hope to just will heal with physical therapy and time. But this pressure on the spine worries me.

Of course I am getting a second opinion from other neurosurgeons, doctors, physical therapist and chiropractors but I was wondering if anyone has been in my shoes ?

thank you in advance.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: herniated disc pressing on spine in neck after car accident, pedestrian hit

Hard to give you an answer without more info...

What are your symptoms?

What did the radiologist's written report with the MRI say - specifically?

What kind of SUV was it? (OK, I'm kidding about that one)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
(female)

wavelily HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Hard to give you an answer without more info...

What are your symptoms?

What did the radiologist's written report with the MRI say - specifically?

What kind of SUV was it? (OK, I'm kidding about that one)

I am in pain, severe pain, tingles, numbness, shooting pain, headaches, dizziness, non stop and no relief

c3/4 disc desiccation and posterior subligamentous disc bulge

c5/6 diminished disc space height, ventral spurs and ventral extension of the disc. Broad posterior disc herniation eccentric to the left with ventral cord abutment and indentation of the left ventrolateral thecal sac

c6/7 posterior subligamentous disc bulge

(whatever all that means, all I know is that on the MRI there is a kink into my spine). The neurosurgeon said because of the severity of the herniation and the pressure of the spine, the best way to go is surgery.

No idea of the make of the car,,, just saw a white monster throwing me to the ground

Old 01-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelily View Post

No idea of the make of the car,,, just saw a white monster throwing me to the ground
It's amazing how little respect drivers have for peds. Can't give you advice on whether to have surgery or not but I respectfully disagree with the neurosurgeons only wanting to make money. Mine wasn't like that at all.

Feel better and watch out for those SUVs!

The Following User Says Thank You to joaneeo For This Useful Post:
wavelily (01-08-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
(female)

wavelily HB User

I was on a crosswalk and had the green light.... the only time I dont jay walk is when I get hit by a darn car... go figure !!

Thank you, I plan to get better, just a bit overwhelmed with all this pain, surgery, different advice and everything else. It has been 3 weeks and I barely feel relief in pain although my range of motion is better due to physical therapy. I am a weightlifter and usually lift heavy for a girl, now I can barely hold my head up. Very annoying....

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2012 at 11:50 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: wavelily
joaneeo (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User

Yep, I cervical problem and the pain can change your life dramatically. Most people have no clue as to how much until it happens to them so expect some people to be cynical when you go to the ER and are in pain if you have to(and you will).

Last edited by Administrator; 02-23-2012 at 11:50 PM.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

""ventral spurs and ventral extension of the disc. Broad posterior disc herniation eccentric to the left with ventral cord abutment and indentation of the left ventrolateral thecal sac""

This seems to be the heart of it. Radiologists have a very broad range of specificity when describing MRI's. Some are very detailed about what's wrong at each level, and describe the DEGREE of the problem either with adjectives or measurements. Yours, unfortunately, only said what's wrong, but didn't describe HOW BAD it is.

Anyway, the disk in between your C5 and C6 vertebrae has ruptured so that the softer material on the inside has broken through the tougher material on the outside. This is pushing backward into the "thecal sac", which runs down your spinal canal and contains the spinal cord surrounded by spinal fluid. It's happening in a manner that's lopsided ("eccentric") on the left. The radiologist says that the bulge is indenting the ventral (front) part of the thecal sac, but ONLY ABUTTING (up against) the cord itself. BY saying the sac is "indented", but the cord is only 'abutted" is pretty much the same as saying the cord is NOT INDENTED. So the fluid has been pushed aside, but the cord quite possibly - or even probably - is not affected.

He also did not say anything about the foramina, the openings in the spine that the peripheral nerves pass through after leaving the spinal cord and before heading off to the shoulders, arms and hands. Disk bulges (and other things) are even more likely to impinge on the foramina than on the cord itself, and the surgeon needs to know what levels might be affected and, if so, how badly. Knowing this can change the selection of which surgery to perform.

Actually, the more I think about this report, the more worked up I get. This radiologist is either blind, incompetent or - far more likely - just lazy, indifferent and greedy. He did you real disservice with this piece of crap.

Fortunately..... the neurosurgeon can probably read the MRI images a whole lot better than this radiologist bothered to do. If he says you really need surgery, then you may be stuck with that because - just based on that radiologist's report - I doubt that anyone here can give much help.

I would, however, STRONGLY urge you to get a second, and hopefully a third, opinion. Your suspicion about the surgeon may be right. Who knows, maybe he's as bad as the radiologist. It's a shame, but there are a lot of really, um, "mediocre" medical professionals out there.

Last edited by WebDozer; 01-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
wavelily (01-08-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
(female)

wavelily HB User

thank you for your reply. When the neurosurgeon looked at the actual MRI he said that it was in fact pressing on the spine, he even showed me the kink it in and told me that it is not likely to get reabsorbed due to the severity of the herniation.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #9
(female)

kerrbear1001 HB User

I'm very sorry about your accident and the pain that you are experiencing. In 1996 I was diagnosed with a ruptured C5-6 disc as a result of a car accident. I was in excruciating pain most of the time. I wasn't given a choice of having or not having surgery I remember . . . it was more like I was told I had to have it because of the severity. I had an anterior discectomy and fusion, and it was the best thing for me. I felt like I got my life back. Now, 16 years later, I am having problems with neck and shoulder pain and numbness down my arm. An x-ray showed problems at the disc levels directly above and below the fusion. My doctor wants me to have an MRI now . . . Anyway, I wish you all the best. Surgery may be your best option as it was mine.

Last edited by kerrbear1001; 01-16-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: mispelling

The Following User Says Thank You to kerrbear1001 For This Useful Post:
wavelily (01-24-2012)
Closed Thread