It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User
Homw from surgery

I spent two nights in the hospital-the surgery was about 4 hours. The NS said the discs had just emptied into the canal and they had to tease all the pieces out. He said it was pretty bad. As soon as I woke up the pain was gone in my arms. Before they did the surgery while in the post op he did some neurological tests and I was losing my strength in the left hand which had never happened before. I also tested positive for clonus in my food and the Hoffman test. I knew I was getting bad-mu legs were so heavy and my foot numb.

Sore throat and spasms but at least I can swallow-whew!

I'll not be back on for a while-I'm going to make sure and follow his orders to a tee.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Homw from surgery

Glad you are okay and home safely.

Now...REST, REST, REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny's orders!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

joaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB Userjoaneeo HB User
Re: Homw from surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Glad you are okay and home safely.

Now...REST, REST, REST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny's orders!

Thanks Jenny! I plan too.
I don't have a lump in my throat but man is it sore! I had some jello a little while ago and that was so smooth on the throat. I'm still in my clothes-they are very comfortable and I don't think I am going to worry about personal hygiene at least until Monday, LOL Who cares if my hair is dirty or whatever-I just don't feel like hopping into a shower this weekend.

I have been keeping ahead of the pain-I'm not going to let it get control of me. I have valium and vicodin-I see the NS PA on Tuesday. She REALLY knows what she is doing and I feel comfortable with her. As for my NS-he's so wonderful and has the best bedside manner. He came to my room afterwards and explained what he did-sat right on the bed-never had such a wonderful doctor!

I did have one snotty CNA thought. The toilet was so high up-the PT wanted me to use a stool to climb up on to sit on it. Well, how the heck am I supposed to carry one into the bathroom?! So I asked if I could use the portable comode since it was lower and they said yes. Well, this one CNA got on me for using it-said she had to empty it every time so I was to use the toilet in the bathroom. She said the seat lifted up so it was lower and I was to do that from now on. I was so upset that I started crying-I'm not supposed to lift or bend. When my RN came in I told her what the CNA had said-she told me to use the commode and that she would talk to that CNA.,

Other than that I have to say the hospital stay was not that pleasant. They stuck me next to the nurses station. I did not get any sleep that first night because of how noisy there were-laughing and talking loud about personal stuff. You'd think they'd be more considerate of the patients who are trying to sleep. They had me hooked up the whole night-I was not taken out of bed to walk around at all like I read there are supposed to

The next day I got a room mate that snored. I went and got some earplugs which helped a little. I hope I NEVER have to stay in the hospital again. My nurses were nice but it was just an unpleasant experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to joaneeo For This Useful Post:
Nanacan (01-14-2012)
Closed Thread