It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #16
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: MRI - Cervical Stenosis/Myelomalacia

Chitown - Just occurred to me that you started out talking about a laminoplasty and now the surgeon wants to do a laminectomy. Same surgeon? What changed?

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
Chitown2012 (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
(male)

Chitown2012 HB User

No, seeing the same surgeon, it's just everything is happening so fast. Learning all this new terminology/definitions is a bit overwhelming. When I saw the lady surgeon a few days ago she is of the opinion that a laminectomy is the way to go, not a laminoplasty. Without giving too many details, I should mention that this surgeon is at Northwestern University Hospital in Chicago, also the the location where the surgery is to take place. I guess I just have to trust her judgement. I am seeing a neuroligist next week for kinda second opinion.. I already had this appointment months ago. However, I think my condition probably won't improve with non-surgical methods... The issue I have is I feel fine, nothing hurts. But I have this weakness with my left hand the past six months or so...I can't open my hand and it's getting atrophy. I really want to thank you and the other folks here for your time, kindness and knowledge sharing with a newbie like me....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #18
(female)

MYACHINNECK HB User
WEBDOZER..Re: MRI - Cervical Stenosis ETC

Hi Webdozer,

Wow, it is amazing you know so much! Perhaps you could shed some light on my MRI report. I have not gone anywhere in nearly 8 weeks because of my neck pain.

Any comments would be most appreciated as to what the heck is going on, and what can I do to relieve at least some of the pain!

Thanks in advance!

Here is my MRI

FINDINGS: There is loss of cervical lordosis identified.

At the craniocervical junction and at C2-3 and C3-4, no abnormalities are
seen.

At C4-5, there is mild posterior ridging identified with right paracentral
disc osteophyte slightly indenting the anterior aspect of the spinal cord.
There is mild foraminal narrowing seen bilaterally.

At C5-6, disc and uncovertebral degenerative changes are seen with moderate
left-sided and mild-to-moderate right-sided foraminal narrowing.

At C6-7, disc and uncovertebral degenerative changes are identified with
moderate bilateral foraminal narrowing.

From C7-T1 to T3-4, no abnormalities are seen. The spinal cord shows normal
intrinsic signal. Following gadolinium, no evidence of abnormal intraspinal
enhancement seen. No abnormal enhancement is seen within the vertebral bodies
or discs.

IMPRESSION: Changes of cervical spondylosis, predominantly from C4-5 to C6-7
with mild extrinsic indentation on the spinal cord by disc osteophyte at C4-5
level. Foraminal changes as above.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I don't have much to offer when it comes to neck pain, specifically, because that can often be caused by muscle strain. I'd suggest that you cut-and-paste your post into a new thread, with a title that might draw some response from people who know more about neck pain.

As for your MRI, you seem to have a couple of borderline conditions. You have mild ridging (bone growth off the vertebrae) that's slightly indenting the cord. "Mild" ridging should not indent the cord at all, in my opinion, because you should have some "play" in your spinal canal, space that's filled with spinal fluid. That mild ridging actually indents the cord makes me suspect that you don't have that play, that your spinal canal is too small to start out with. That's a condition called developmental (or hereditary) spinal stenosis. The effect is that things coming into your spinal canal (bulging disks, osteophytes, facet and uncovertebral hypertrophy, swollen ligamentum flavum) can all impinge on the cord sooner and more easily than they would in someone with a normal-sized spinal canal.

The operation to deal directly with spinal stenosis - if an operation is deemed necessary - would be either a laminotomy (shaving some off the inside of the lamina to increase the size of the spinal canal), a laminectomy (removing the lamina entirely) or a laminoplasty (cutting one side of the lamina, swinging it out and propping it open). I've had a laminoplasty myself, and I think that laminectomies are primitive by comparison. Just my opinion, though.

Getting back to the MRI, your foramina (the openings in the bony cage of the spine where the peripheral nerves leave the cord) are somewhat affected, but apparently not badly. I think that a foraminal obstruction - and not a cord indentation - is really the only possibility for the cause of neck pain, and that's assuming the pain is spinal-related, which is not an assumption I'd be comfortable with.

Do you have symptoms other than neck pain, perhaps in the shoulders, arms and hands? Legs? Did the neck pain come on after some possible trauma. Is it made worse by sitting in certain positions, or doing certain tasks?

If you answer these questions, I'd again suggest doing so in a separate thread.

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-23-2012 at 09:56 AM.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
(female)

MYACHINNECK HB User

Thanks for the quick and informative reply!

I will post in a seperate thread. Yes to your questions, numbness in left arm and fingers, tight knots in neck and traps. Legs are beginning to cramp up. Prob from lack of exersise these past weeks.

Thanks again, you were very helpful!

M.A.N

Old 09-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
(female)

Smokey2065 HB User

I am also posting My MRI ,
I am going to the Neurologist Oct 16, I could use some help with questions for my Dr., so that I could understand my problems ,
My pain is constant.

Thank you

Examination performed 14/08/2012 at 08:30

REQUISITION #: RA2011106158

MRI OF THE CERVICAL SPINE :

CLINICAL HISTORY: Follow-up myelomalacia in the cervical spine.

COMPARISON: MRI from December 23, 2008.

FINDINGS:

CERVICAL SPINE:

There is mild retrolisthesis of C4 on C5 and C5 on C6, mildly progressed when compared to previous, on the basis of degenerative changes. There is reversal of the normal lordosis in the upper cervical spine.

Some edematous changes are seen within the endplates subjacent to the C5-6 intervertebral. Edematous changes are also noted in the left C7 superior articular facet, pedicle, and lamina. The remainder of the bone marrow demonstrates no significant abnormalities.

Unremarkable craniocervical junction.

C1-2: Unremarkable.

C2-3: Left facet arthrosis without sequelae.

C3-4: There is a central-paracentral disk-osteophyte complex as well as bilateral uncarthrosis, worse on the right. The central canal is borderline narrowed at this level. There is moderate right-sided neural foraminal stenosis.

C4-5: There is a central-paracentral disk-osteophyte complex as well as bilateral uncarthrosis, worse on the right. Mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy is seen at this level. This results in mild central canal stenosis as well as moderate-to-severe right and moderate left neural foraminal stenosis.

C5-6: There is central-paracentral disk-osteophyte complex as well as bilateral uncarthrosis. This has progressed compared to previous. There is mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at this level. These changes result in moderate-to-severe central canal stenosis, indentation of the thecal sac and flattening and deformity of the anterior spinal cord. No gross myelopathic changes are seen, however. There is moderate-to-severe bilateral neural foraminal stenosis.

C6-7: There is a central-paracentral disk-osteophyte complex as well as bilateral uncarthrosis, worse on the left. There is bilateral ligamentum flavum hypertrophy at this level. This results in mild left neural foraminal stenosis. No central canal stenosis.

C7-T1: There is diffuse disk bulge with a small central disk protrusion as well as ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. There is advanced left-sided facet arthrosis with associated edematous changes within the left pedicle and lamina and superior articular facet of C7. There is mild left neural foraminal stenosis. No central canal stenosis.

IMPRESSION:

1. Interval significant decrease in size of the colloid cyst, currently measuring less than 2 mm in keeping with either spontaneous resolution or interval surgical intervention.

2. Multilevel degenerative changes in the cervical spine demonstrating progression compared to previous, mainly at the C5-6 level, where there is moderate-severe central canal stenosis with slight worsening of the retrolisthesis. No myelopathic changes are seen. New bone marrow edematous changes in the posterior elements of the left C7, presumably due to worsening of facet arthrosis.

Closed Thread