It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
(female)

Nanacan HB UserNanacan HB UserNanacan HB User
Chiari malformation

Does anyone know much about chiari malformation? I am post op 2 1/2 weeks acdf 2 levels. My ns mentioned before this surgery that my brain stem had started protruding into my spinal canal. In the midst & shock of finding
I had to have the ACDF, I guess I forgot to ask a lot of questions about it. On my post op visit last Friday I asked about the malformation. He referred to it as a chiari malformation. He said he wants to do another MRI of it at my 3 month visit. All he really said was if it became a problem it would require more surgery. Just wondering if anyone else has had this?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Chiari malformation

As it happens, someone posted an MRI of Chiari and a regular MRI on the Fibromyalgia board after finding out their pain was from Chiari and not fibro. I'll go find it and give you the link or where to find it...which ever is easier.

Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Easiest way to view the films is to go to the Fibromyalgia board and go to Page 2 of the listing of posts and look for "Turns out I have Chiari 1, not FM" by wolfneck75....about half way down the list. You'll see the attached MRI's on the first post so click on them and you can see what it's all about....the brain sits really low in the skull(kind of tilted back) and so there is pressure on the brain stem that can cause a lot of painful headaches and even body pain.

This is an MRI of Chiari 1 malformation and there are varying degrees of it so don't think this is what you have but it gives you an idea of what they are thinking about. In Chiari 1, I believe the surgery involves fusing the spine to the skull to minimize any movement and protect the brain tissue.

But I thought these MRI's were great teaching tools and and asked the person if I could refer to them.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Nanacan (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
(female)

Jenny thanks for the help! I went to the site but when I clicked on the link to view the MRI it said I didn't have permission to access that page . I'm new to this so I may have done something wrong. But thanks for trying. Candy

Old 01-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Sorry Nanacan.....I just assumed they were still there. Originally, instead of a link, it was 2 MRI pics that you could enlarge. I'm wondering if the person posted them from another site without permission and they were taken down as a result. I had assumed it was his own pics with another persons MRI pic to show the contrast.

Anyhow, in Chiari, the brain sits further back in the skull and as a result, the base of the brain is way down at the beginning of the spine, sometimes even going through the entrance to the spinal canal. This pinches the brain stem.

But it is a matter of degrees...how much is down low and how close is it to going through the opening to the spinal canal. It should have shown in your original MRI of your neck if it was bad so I assume it is not that bad.

I'll see if I can find another source for the MRI pics for you.

Jenny

Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
(female)

Thanks Jenny ! He told me it had dropped down 3mm. I have my films at home but I'm not new tech savvy do don't know if it will do me much good. If not I will let y'all know as soon as go back for my repeat.

Closed Thread