It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #1
(female)

natashatsekiri HB User
Unhappy Reverse Cervical Lordosis

Hi there, my name is Natasha and I have just been diagnosed with reverse cervical lordosis and have also been told I have a longer neck than usual. I am only 24 I am not on any sort of pain relief as I find it does not work for me and the doctors have just referred me to see a physiotherapist to see if they can help with my problem. The symptoms I have are slight migraines, shooting pains and stiffness down the left side of my body only; arm, shoulder, front of neck and jaw and back of neck to midway of back. I have been given no reason as to why I may be experiencing this other than my longer neck. If anyone can help me or give me any advice about my situation I would be more than grateful.
Thankyou
NATASHA FROM LONDON

Old 03-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Reverse Cervical Lordosis

For those who don't know what reverse of cervical lordosis means, it means the neck has gone straight and then started to curve towards the back, instead of the front. Also called cervical kyphosis.

Often, the docs use this term to say that you've lost the normal curve but haven't gone over to the opposite curve.

One of the biggest problems with this is that slowly but surely, you can't lift your head up. Trying to look straight forward brings a lot of pain in the neck, headaches, back pain. The muscles are just in constant spasm.

Surgery can fix it but it means fusing the entire neck with rods and screws to hold the vertebrae in place. But I don't think you are anywhere near that bad yet. But wearing a soft collar around your neck should help as it relieves the muscles of the burden of trying to hold up the head. PT can help to strengthen the neck muscles while relieving the spasms in others. PT can help you find a good soft collar for your neck. I used a lot of heat to relieve my neck pain as well.

I am fused from C3 to T1 as I did go backwards and could only look at the ground. It's not something you want to do at your age but if you have to, it is not that bad. I can still drive and do what I need to do. But PT should be able to help...they really helped me.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
natashatsekiri (03-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Your spine should be tilted forward at the top of your shoulders. In order to keep your head upright, then, the spine must bend toward the back until it is pointing straight up. What the doc probably means by "reverse" cervical lordosis is that you have lost (or are losing) some of that backward curve. You haven't yet slipped over into a forward curve - kyphosis.

As Jenny said, this can put a lot of strain on your muscles to hold your head up. I would think that having a longer neck increases the strain considerably, although being so young, you may not be feeling it - yet.

Still, your symptoms sound to me like there's more going on than just muscle strain. The shooting pains, and even more so the fact that they're one-sided, makes me wonder if your spinal nerves are not being affected. Losing the healthy cervical lordosis can put undue pressure on the FRONT of your disks, which may cause them to bulge out the BACK. If they do so, they may intrude into the "foramina", which are the openings in the spine that the spinal nerves pass through. A disk pressing on a spinal nerve can cause all kinds of symptoms that appear to be coming from the parts of the body serviced by that nerve.

Have you had an MRI? I can see why a doc would hesitate to order one for someone as young as you, but I kinda think it's called for.

As for your reverse lordosis, I think you need to fight it with everything you have. Unless you have drastic surgery, this looks to be a lifelong battle for you.

I'm really sorry to bring such bad news. Of course, I'm just an interested amateur, so there's always a good chance that I'm wrong...

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
natashatsekiri (03-16-2012)
Old 03-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
(female)

natashatsekiri HB User

Hello, thank you so much for your responses they have helped me gain a better understanding of what I am dealing with as I have only had a brief description from my doctor. I have been having these symptoms for about just over 2years now but I have only just been to see my doctor as it only gets unbearable on ocassions so i thought it was nothing. But i went to my doctor maybe 3days ago when it got bad again and they sent me to the hospital to have a plain xray of my cervical spine which resulted in the observation that there is reversal of normal lordosis and that i have a long neck which can produce neck pain too and that was that. I am now being referred to a physiotherapist and have just been prescribed with a strong dose of co-codomol. I have not had an MRI scan but I will be asking for one so thank you @WEBDOZER and no worries of the bad news it's always better to know than not to, i'm an optimistic person lol. And Jenny what exactly is this PT thing if you don't mind elaborating for me?
Thank you again xx

Old 03-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

PT is physical therapy or as you call it, physiotherapy or physio. I grew up in Canada where they called is physio. But here in the US, they call it PT.

Jenny

Old 03-17-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
(female)

natashatsekiri HB User

so does this mean that there is no way to manipulate it back to its normal curve other than surgery?

Old 03-17-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

natashatsekiri HB User

Also I can lift my head to the sky and move it around almost as normal and from what I've been reading I'm not supposed to be able to do??? Quite confusing also a little scary, although since i started getting the symptoms i've always stretched my neck so i think i may have just answered my own question lol maybe not...?

Last edited by natashatsekiri; 03-17-2012 at 01:35 PM.

Closed Thread