It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
(male)

Chitown2012 HB User
Clumsiness after laminectomy

Chitown here...
I'm 7weeks out of my C3 through T2 Posterior Cervical Laminectomy. Within the past week I stumbled going up a couple of outside deck stairs,well actually fell. I seemed to catch myself ok, I don't think I hurt myself, no pain or anything like that... A few days later I stumbled, but did not fall, going up inside basement steps. Tonight I stumbled while walking around an inside track... I notice that my right foot kinda slaps down while walking.. Just wondering if clumbsiness is a common side effect? Has anyone out there experienced symptoms like this after a multilevel laminectomy. I'm in my neck brace for another 5 weeks and have a appointment with my NS March 29th, also suppose to have progress X-ray at that time. At my 4week NS checkup with X-rays was great...This clumbsiness is worrying me a bit though.... I hope all on the board is doing well and my prayers are with all of you.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Clumsiness after laminectomy

I have that problem as well...it's from damage to the spinal cord due to the long term compression it suffered.

Mine is in the left leg and I find I have to do some special exercises for balance as well as how to walk with this damage. Yours might go away with time as your cord heals but mine is forever.

One thing I do know is that when you've had any kind of cord or nerve damage, once you get it back through PT, you have to keep up the exercise or you will lose it again. Use it or lose it.

Hope yours is temporary but be prepared for it being permanent.

Jenny

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Chitown2012 (03-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User
Re: Clumsiness after laminectomy

I also have problems with my left leg, and used to fall much, until I learned to concentrate all the time when I walk, or take a step up. It has to be constant attention, or I will lose my balance. I had therapy, and it's true you must keep it up or you will lose your gains. I also use a cane when I'm out on the street. I have permanent damage, hoping you will continue to heal, since you are not that far from your surgery. It's been nearly 4 years since mine.

The following user gives a hug of support to minstrel2:
Chitown2012 (03-23-2012)
Closed Thread