It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
(male)

scoopy HB User
2 Years post op L4-S1 fusion

2 years ago, as a last resort I decided to have surgery. After trying everything possible this was my only hope of living a somewhat normal life with maybe less pain. Well after all was said and done it went as best as I could imagine. This was the person who could'nt work. This was the person who was in pain 24/7 even w pain meds. This was the person who could'nt walk 5 minutes. This was the person who was very depressed and was looking at a life not worth living.
Forward 2 years later. I have a full time job working on my feet 10-12 hr days. I am off all pain meds and hav'nt had any in many months even an aspiran or motrin-zero meds. I am very active working out 2 hrs a day consisting of walking, strecthing, swimming and weights. I am what I used to be before my back pain began-a normal person with few restrictions.
Yes, there are some things I don't do such as jogging,playing golf,basketball or anyting that would put my back in jepordy. That is fine with me.

I'm not sure how long this will last-maybe 2 months or maybe forever. I just take one day at a time a be thankful for each and every day I am pain free.

It is a slow process and it took a full year plus before I started to feel this way. Kinda of ironic, when I do work 12 hr days, I ache all over but my back is the only part of of my body that does'nt ache.

I am greatful to my doc's who gave me a new lease on life. Good luck to all you guys out there seeking a better quality of life. There are many out there who benefit greatly from surgery.

Better health to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: 2 Years post op L4-S1 fusion

Thanks Scoopy. Although we are mostly necks here, I am having L4,5 and S1 bi-lateral foramenotomies and laminectomies on Monday morning so your report is much appreciated. My neck is already fused From C3 to T1 after breaking it and too don't have that much pain but did decide to retire...but I'm 60. I can pick up the grandkids and do just about everything I want to do. The only thing I take for pain is ibuprofen but then again, I have rheumatoid arthritis and most of my pain is from that.

A really top notch spine doc can do great things and can be the difference between a life of pain and problems and a good life...sounds like both of us have good docs!

Jenny

Old 03-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
(male)

scoopy HB User
Re: 2 Years post op L4-S1 fusion

Good luck tomrrw Jenny. May it go well for you.

Closed Thread