It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
(female)

praisenu510 HB User
Unhappy Post op recovery from Spinal Surgery, depressing

I have a spinal cord injury resulting in spinal stenosis and a bruise inside my spinal cord. 2 years ago, I had c3,c4,c5,c6 replaced with plastic disc, a titanium plate and 8 screws. It went well and recovery was quick. Last year I noticed something was very wrong in my lower back and after an mri, it revealed that there was a large cyst behind my lumbar 5 and that my lumbar 5 was pushed out of place, causing no stability for my spine. I had surgery 20 days ago, where my doctor removed the cyst, pulled my disc back in place anchoring it with another titanium plate. I was under for 6 hours. This recovery has left me in a deep depression and I cry a lot, my stomach is also still swollen and I have zero energy. Everyone keeps telling me that this is do to me being under for so long and that it's going to take possibly months for that to come out of my system. Is this true? why don't they tell you this before you leave the hospital? I know it's only been a few weeks and my doctor already warned me that this was going to be a much harder and painful recovery than my neck, but knowing this and going through it are two differant things. Do most people go through this after this type of surgery?

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: praisenu510
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012), sandiemas (04-23-2012), vryfunnygal (04-22-2012)
Old 04-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Post op recovery from Spinal Surgery, depressing

Perhaps some here can comment on the anesthesiology issue, but for lumbar problems/surgeries, you would be better off on the Back Problems board. This board concentrates on cervical issues....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #3
(female)

praisenu510 HB User

Sorry my first post, I didn't think I was on the wrong post, it is for "Spinal Cord Disorders" correct? I didn't see anything specific about cervical issues which I assume does have it's own thread. I do take offense in your comparison to my Spinal Cord Injury to a "Back Problem", clearly a big difference there. So I do feel that I am on the correct thread, but am willing to take advice from others? I also will look for advice on other threads pertaining to Spinal Cord Disorders and recovery.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

No good deed goes unpunished, it seems...

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
(female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User

Hi

I was under for 6 hours with cervical surgery. I felt depressed for about 2 and 1/2 months. It did take that long for the anesthesia to diminish. I am feeling better but my stamina is still not it was before the operation. No matter what type of surgery you have, it takes a lot out of you.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
(female)

vryfunnygal HB User

Hello, I have a close friend, who also had a surgery such as yours. If you think about it, your spine is also connected to your brain, which means moods are connected too. He did alot of meditation, rather than pain meds. Was told that pain medicine can put you in a depression too, not to mention having surgery can also be similar to post traumatic. Think about what your body has just gone through. I'm so glad you made it through the surgery, and they were able to remove it. If you believe in god, pray, and try to eat good/healthy foods, go for a small walk, sit in the sun <vitamin D> is very important for your body to recovery. Also be sure your taking vitamins. I'm so sorry your feeling so down, we all have had bouts with depression, and I will pray for your recovery, and so you see the bright wonderful recovery at the end of your journey. Many hugs and blessings, god bless..

The Following User Says Thank You to vryfunnygal For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

I was depressed for a while after my 4 hour surgery. I think it's the anesthesia. That was earlier this year and I feel better.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I am sorry you are feeling blue but totally understand, I am two years post op and still have my moments. If you think about it you have the right, your body was opened up, your spine, nerves, muscles all messed with, not to mention the drugs running through your system! Your life will never be the same. But you have to focus on healing yourself, moving up and on. Cleans the toxins, rest, and vent, blog, read post, talk to your bestie what ever works dont let it consume you, take back your control. I know easier said than done!

You are in my thoughts and I hope you feel better. Just remember you have the right to feel how you feel just don't let it rule who you are. Take back your control.
I wish you the best of luck and just let me know if you need to vent I have an anonomous open ear

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

The Following User Says Thank You to sandiemas For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiemas View Post
I am sorry you are feeling blue but totally understand, I am two years post op and still have my moments. If you think about it you have the right, your body was opened up, your spine, nerves, muscles all messed with, not to mention the drugs running through your system! Your life will never be the same. But you have to focus on healing yourself, moving up and on. Cleans the toxins, rest, and vent, blog, read post, talk to your bestie what ever works dont let it consume you, take back your control. I know easier said than done!

You are in my thoughts and I hope you feel better. Just remember you have the right to feel how you feel just don't let it rule who you are. Take back your control.
I wish you the best of luck and just let me know if you need to vent I have an anonomous open ear

Great advice! In my experience, sitting around and dwelling on the depression doesn't help. I know it's hard but you have to push yourself to get out of bed and get around-don't let it take a hold of you.

The following user gives a hug of support to Realhousewife:
sandiemas (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I'm sorry you took offense at Webdozer's attempt to direct you to the Back board where you would find more members who are experienced with lumbar issues. Since you are a new poster, I believe she thought you might not be aware that there are several places where people with problems concerning the spine post...this one primarily concerns cervical issues and the one labelled "Back Problems" is peopled by those with thoracic and lumbar issues. In case people are not aware that there is more than one place to look for information, someone usually mentions it. I know when someone posts a cervical question on the Back board, it can sit there for days without anyone responding...so I'm usually the one who lets the person know of the existence of this board.

I've never had cervical surgery so cannot really compare it to lumbar surgery. Also, your surgery is a bit different from what we mostly hear about, which is usually fusion or types of disectomy. I suppose your surgery is closest to a one level fusion, since I gather they went in from the abdomen, and since you have hardware. But I gather you didn't have some sort of bone graft, and the disc is still intact...so healing should be a bit quicker than the typical one-level lumbar fusion.

I can tell you that it can take a good three months to start to feel like your energy is returning. Prior to that time, it is fairly normal to feel like you're dragging. With my first fusion, I recall that eight weeks was a big divide for me, and I started feeling a bit more normal at 12 weeks, but it wasn't until six months that I got to the point where my thoughts were no longer 100% occupied by my surgery and recovery. Of course, with lumbar fusion, even though bone growth may begin around 3 weeks, it takes a good 12 months for the bone to set up hard and strong...so, you can see it is a long process.

But since you had a slightly different surgery, I would think that once you get through the initial healing you should gradually see a return of energy. If you continue to suffer with depression and are taking pain medications, you might want to ask your doctor about switching to one of the anti-depressants that also has good pain relieving action.

Are you able to take short, frequent walks? It is very important at this stage of recovery. Walking helps to stretch out the spinal nerves which helps to keep scar tissue from attaching to the nerves as it is filling in post-surgery. Even walking around your house every couple hours will help in this healing.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Hello, I am very sorry for all what you are going through, I can relate to it and understand how uneasy recovery time is. Definetely not a walk in a park.
I hate to tell you this, but spinal surgeries are complicated and recovery time is long, but lumbar area is more complicated due to so many nerves invloved, its area which moves more than other and usually damages happen more than on C, T levels.
I was told before my first surgery I was told that I cant expect full recovery before 1 year goes by. Not to mention that after one year I was told it can take up to 3 years to fully recovery, all depends what was done and how well your body adjusts to changes.
My surgery was over 10 hr and after one year I felt not better than before the surgery; got too many complications. Even though we all different still needs a long time for the body to get back to normal. Don't forget that severe pain is bad enough to send you to a depression, not to mention life changes, dependability of others, a much more. Takes time, you better take this in consideration and don't expect miracles, otherwise you will drive yourself crazy.
People with lumbar area surgeries (talking complicated surgeries) recovery time - the longest. Try to use your energy on PT, meditation, walking when you can and positive thinking.
I don't say this just to be smart, I been there, and am there... I learned if I dont do something about it - nobody will.

It's hard sweet heart, I know. But remember that body-mind is whole and one cant be healthy without the other. You take good care about both, it will help you to recover faster and better.
About energy... for everyone is different. One thing is for sure: you body went thru a lot of physical stress just now, needs time to get better. Make sure you drink a lot, sleep a lot, rest a lot, vitamins and fresh squeezed juices, green salads and plenty of fruits. Walk when you can but take it easy until you feel better.

Feel better please
Moldova

Closed Thread