It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

marcee HB Usermarcee HB User
Question Concerned due to Not a good candidate for surgery

I was wondering if anyone has been told that they would not be a good candidate for surgery? I've recently been dx with degenerative disc disease and cervical spondylosis. C3-C4 mildly degenerated. C4-C5 has marked hypertrophic right facet joint osteoarthritis. C5-c6 has broad based protrusion 3.5 mm eccentric to left. Also cervical lordosis is straightened and then mild generalized levoscoliosis throughout cervical spine. I'm not sure what all this means but so far my dr told me I wouldnt be a good candidate for any type of surgery to fix any of this but best can do is manage the pain.

Has anyone else been told surgery wouldn't be an option for them? Also this is all brand new to me and so I was hoping someone could maybe explain some of this to me. I'm meeting with my dr again in two weeks and considering 2nd opinion. My current dr is a rheumatologist specializes in arthritis and not sure if I should be seeing a neurologist or neurosurgeon so I would truly appreciate any advice anyone may have to offer.

Thank you so much... I know this is lengthy but at this point things seem a bit hopeless and the best that has been suggested so far is pain meds for rest of my life. This neck business really hurts and not sleeping cause I cant seem to find correct position to lay my head on the pillow at night so just end up not sleeping.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Re: Concerned due to Not a good candidate for surgery

What was his reason for not being a good candidate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
(female)

Because my cervical spondylosis is degenerative type.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

With it being degenerative it will just get worse and with it mild doctors will most likely not doing anything til its worse. A neurosurgeon knows more than rhuemy would.

I have seen a surgeon and he said I wasnt a candidate because the neck brace I was given didnt relieve the pain. And he said to do rehab to deal with the pain. He failed to mention that I had a cyst INSIDE my spine at C6 (and measures 2x2x6-7 mm) and that more testing is needed to see if its a tumor or not. Currently waiting to see a 2nd opinion.

Definitely get a 2nd and even 3rd opinion.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I don't know if you might or might not be a candidate, but I am SURE you need two more opinions. The range of opinions amongst docs can be surprising, and so can the range of competence.

I had a nueurosurgeon tell me nine years ago that I should give up anything physical and "join a book club". Thank God I didn't listen to him...

Old 04-23-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcee View Post
Because my cervical spondylosis is degenerative type.
So is mine but I still had surgery.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #7
(female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User

I would get a second and possibly a third opinion. I would think about a neurosurgeon skilled with cervical problems or an orthopedic doctor who only does cervical spines. The first doc I went to told me that my neck was so messed up he couldn't fix it all. Well 2 opinions later, I found a very skilled surgeon who knew exactly what to do & he fixed it all. The important lesson is never settle on one opinion. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariz4me View Post
I would get a second and possibly a third opinion. I would think about a neurosurgeon skilled with cervical problems or an orthopedic doctor who only does cervical spines. The first doc I went to told me that my neck was so messed up he couldn't fix it all. Well 2 opinions later, I found a very skilled surgeon who knew exactly what to do & he fixed it all. The important lesson is never settle on one opinion. Good luck!
I agree. I had several tell me they couldn't do anything for me before finding the neurosurgeon who did my surgery.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

I totally agree on getting a second, third even fourth opinion. Whe I was told I had stenosis and would need surgery or I could possibly be paralzed because of the location c5 to c7, amoungst several other spiney issues, I went to so many doctors trying to get the answer I wanted. Unfortunatly they all said surgery! And of course I ended up picking the worst one.lol

But what I am getting at is that it is your body and you know how you feel, the doctor are educated in what theydo but so are lawyers, judges, and tech support. Basically you are the patient they work for you at what ever job they are hired to do, whether it be clean your home or operate youbare in charge and have to be comfortable and educated on your decision.

You deserve to have a quality of life and get the help you need to do that, whether it be, injections, pt, medication, or surgery, your quality of life and comfort should be first priority.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey to a more comfortable being.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Old 04-23-2012, 10:06 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcee View Post
This neck business really hurts and not sleeping cause I cant seem to find correct position to lay my head on the pillow at night so just end up not sleeping.
How many years has this been going on(not being able to rest your neck on the pillow)? It's not new to me, by the way.
Were you in a car accident?

Last edited by nochange; 04-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #11
(female)

Neck pain snuck upgradually until it got so bad I realized something must be going on. I have worked in front of computer for years an so hence the degenerative aspect of this disease. The pain so bad that i really had difficult time coping. Then one night i apparently had an intense back and neck spasm that literally shot me up out of bed. I literally started crying (something i just dont do) which then freaked my daughter out. I will never forget that whole back neck spasm as it really frightened me. The pain was too much and went to ER. I absolutely could not move without experiencing excruciating pain. Dr ordered MRI which resulted in current dx.

I still have intense spasms but now know why which helps cope. In answer to your questin though, mine is not due to an accident. Have additional medical issues (autoimmune) and sometimes wonder if possibly contributes. I seem to be experiencing more frequent spasms with more intensity. Dr wants to schedule new mri and im sure there will be significant changes as i am having new sensations which is also worrisome.

A major worry i do have is that i have fatty liver disease (non-alcohollic) and very high triglycerides and cholesterol. The medicine i take for this is not especiallly good for liver and now that I'm on pain meds for this has me doubly worried cause pain meds are also hard on the liver.

Does anyone else worry about this? Liver/pain meds?

Also, what are best pillows for neck and back that you have found helpful?

Thank you so much and my heart goes out to everyone. I'm not sure how you all do it/get through it all. But it is very supporting to discuss with people who understand what going through.

The following user gives a hug of support to marcee:
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

I don't worry about my liver because I've never had ANY doctor give me anything stronger than ONE Tylenol #3 a day for pain. I have begged for pain meds and they say "we don't give out pain meds." I have mri's of cervical, thoracic and lumber to prove my pain issues and still I get nothing. Now that I vented, sorry, I do hope you find your answers and find some pain relief.

I read so many of these posts that they all look alike after a while, but I did read not long ago about someone who used a pillow roll? Maybe you read about it. She said it gave her some relief at night. I just get hopped up on my ONE Tylenol #3 and an Ativan and sooner or later I am stoned enough to fall asleep. I hate dr's!!!

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 04-24-2012 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo

Old 04-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Ive never found a pillow that's comfortable for my neck. Just had blood tests done a couple weeks ago and m?y liver is great and kidney function is good too. Ive never taken pain meds consistantly though. Been on tramadol since Dec of last year. My neck pain is different day to day. Hugs to all.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
I don't worry about my liver because I've never had ANY doctor give me anything stronger than ONE Tylenol #3 a day for pain. I have begged for pain meds and they say "we don't give out pain meds." I have mri's of cervical, thoracic and lumber to prove my pain issues and still I get nothing. Now that I vented, sorry, I do hope you find your answers and find some pain relief.

I read so many of these posts that they all look alike after a while, but I did read not long ago about someone who used a pillow roll? Maybe you read about it. She said it gave her some relief at night. I just get hopped up on my ONE Tylenol #3 and an Ativan and sooner or later I am stoned enough to fall asleep. I hate dr's!!!
It's your RIGHT to be free from pain. Too many medical providers have a "God complex" and believe that everyone who presents in pain is a drug seeker. All you have to do is read the blogs of these people. ER medical people are the worse and just because they get frequent flyers as they call them in the ER looking for pain meds they decide who is and isn't drug seeking. Pain is subjective and no one, and I mean NO ONE, knows the level of pain someone else is in. To deny someone a medication just because the provider has the notion that everyone is a drug seeker is wrong and IMO is medical negligence,

Take it from someone who has been there. After being shoved around from doctor to doctor I decided that the only way I was going to get better is to become my own medical advocate. I might have been a *itch to some of the people I saw but it got me results. No one has the right to deny you pain medication. Pain patients have a bill of rights-everyone that is one should read up on it.

You shouldn't have to be stoned before you are able to go to sleep. That is just wrong. Pain meds like percocet and vicodin work differently on someone who is actually in pain than they do on a so called drug seeker. Quite frankly I hate that term.

The Following User Says Thank You to Realhousewife For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
Old 04-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #15
(female)

I've had fatty liver for over 10 years long before spine issues. It is not due to alcohol (never drank when younger nor do i now), nor is it due to meds. Also not fat. They think hereditary and/or autoimmune. The pain I'm experiencing could never be taken care of with one tylenol 3 though. Not a chance. Not with degenerative disc disease and herniated discs and all associated pain. I also hve rheumtoid arhritis hands fingers knees feet and fibromyalgia.

Luckily my dr is understanding about the pain I'm experiencing. I am grateful for this at least.

The following user gives a hug of support to marcee:
kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
Closed Thread