It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Ready to say "screw it" to ALL dr's!

Neurologists office called me back this morning and said "we don't give out pain medication, you'll have to ask your PCP for that."

SOOOOOO, I have to ask my PCP for pain medication for something that I saw the neurologist for? Something that is severe enough that he is sending me a spine surgeon for?

So if the PCP doesn't give out pain medication, and the neurologist doesn't give out pain medication, who the hell does? Is the spine surgeon gonna tell me the same thing, after I wait another month to see him?

My phone message to the neurologist office yesterday simply explained that I needed something for the burning/tingling pain, that was it. This is what I mean by "never getting any help."

I spent the last 2 years going to a PCP who said "we don't give out pain medication."

I see a new PCP next month. I'm not stupid, I know she will not give me pain medication for something ANOTHER DOCTOR is suppose to be treating.

I'm so sick of doctors, all of them!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User
Re: Ready to say "screw it" to ALL dr's!

OMG, I'm telling you I went through the same problems you are having. I must have seen 10 so called pain management doctors that all except one agreed I had issues, but would only do injections and not give any pain medication. My NS would only give pain meds after my surgeries, so this is what I had to do. Either contact your neurologist or spine surgeon's office and tell them your PCP does not give out pain medication and could they please refer you to a pain management doctor that not only does conservative treatment, but also dispenses medicine for pain; they should know someone. At one time, I had to ask my NS to refer me to a pain management doctor that does give out medication, and he did; or, you may have to take the phone book out call any and all doctors that claim they are pain management doctors and call their office and tell them what is happening, and if they give medications for pain, then you will have to make an appointment to see them. Now, the one thing I did find out is the doctors will not prescribe anything until and unless they physically see you, examine you, and see your MRI films and reports. It's against the law to dispense pain meds without having seen the patient and having a file on them. If the DEA does an audit and sees a doctor has given out pain medication without an examination, the doctor will be in serious trouble.

I know how you feel being in pain, and I can empathize with how frustrated you are, I was there; but, this is going to take some time to resolve, and you may have to do some of the work yourself to find the right pain management doctor to help you. What cracks me up is the hippocratic oath the doctors take--"Do No Harm" they know there is an issue, but will not give you anything to help you and just let you suffer, it doesn't make sense. A true pain management doctor will not only do conservative treatments, i.e., injections, nerve blocks, facet joint injections, etc., but if none of those treatments help, they must be willing to dispense pain medication to keep you comfortable. I think you said you are going to a teaching hospital, see if there is a pain management doctor at that hospital that not only does the conservative options, but also, will dispense medication if you are not helped. There is such a stigma with dispensing meds that a lot of doctors just won't do it.

I'm praying for ya, this is not an easy process and can be very very frustrating. I'm hoping you find the right doctors that can address your issues and give you some relief. Just know, you are not alone when it comes to dealing with these problems.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Ldy For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (04-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Yes it is very frustrating. The neuro HAS seen me and went over my mri's with me. And I was referred to him from a different neurologist.... So far my old dr and two neuros know I have problems and they just pass me over. Now I'm being sent to a spine surgeon. I have checked into pain management places, I do know one (from a friend) that DOES dispense pain meds, BUT, you need a referral to go there. I doubt the spine surgeon will refer me there since he hasn't even seen me yet, would he? I see my new pcp on the 11th (I think) it will be my 2nd appt with her. The first appt was a new patient appt. I tried to discuss pain meds with her at that time and she said "we'll go over all that at your next appt." I WILL take my new mri's along with the old ones to her and WILL have that talk. In the mean time, I guess I'll survive.

My life has changed so much in the past year. I don't drive any more and trying to get a ride is almost impossible. The bus doesn't run where I need it to. Just seems like it's one road block after another and it leaves me feeling like I'm just not important to anyone. Seems like all I was put on this earth for was to cook and clean, and that's what I'll be doing until I drop dead.

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
rannch (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

THANK YOU for listening to me vent and for always being so nice to me! REALLY appreciated!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
sandiemas (04-28-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

It's good to vent, you need to get it out of your system. Having people that have dealt with the same issues is wonderful. There were times I second guessed myself, was I really having this pain, is it all in my head? It's beyond frustrating.

I would absolutely take your MRI's to your PCP appointment and tell her that you are suffering, all the things you can no longer do, and you are looking for something that will give you some relief and some of your quality of life back. If your PCP won't dispense meds., maybe she knows of a pain management doc., that will help you, or maybe she will refer you to the doctor you found does dispense medication. It doesn't hurt to ask, and I've found being in this situation has caused me to speak up and be more pro-active when it comes to my quality of life.

Hang in there, you will find the right combination of doctors. I don't know if your surgeon will recommend anyone since he hasn't seen you yet, but you can call the office and ask. What's the worse they can do, tell you they don't know anyone, doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

It is very nerve racking that's for sure. I've written down the name of the pain management place and put it with my mri's for new doc.

What will pain management dr do? You think they would see me even if I haven't seen the surgeon yet and still don't know if I need surgery?

Old 04-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
THANK YOU for listening to me vent and for always being so nice to me! REALLY appreciated!!!
It's good to vent. Since most of us have been there who else to vent to, LOL!

I would go to the pain management people though. Call and see if you need a referral from another doctor first.

They also prescribe stronger drugs than the vicodin and percocet. That's where I got MS Contin from. One thing though-you will have to sign a contract stating that you will use them and only them for your pain medication needs which means you can't go to the ER in pain unless you clear it with them or have any other provider prescribe you pain meds. You also have to agree to on the spot urine tests but that's mostly if the doc thinks you are using something else that he/she didn't prescribe. If you violate any part of the contract they can cut you loose.

I live in a medical marijuana state and before I found my neurosurgeon I had even considered trying to get a state card for it. I know someone who has bad arthritis and he smokes it. Medical marijuana is very expensive though.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
It is very nerve racking that's for sure. I've written down the name of the pain management place and put it with my mri's for new doc.

What will pain management dr do? You think they would see me even if I haven't seen the surgeon yet and still don't know if I need surgery?
I don't know what yours will do. In my case I was referred to one from a spine clinic. I would call first thing Monday and ask what the proper way to see them is-do you need a referral or can you just come in and see them.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

I'll definitely be trying to get something accomplished on Monday. I've never had vicodin or percocet, all I've ever had is Tylenol #3 (the ONE pill a day my old doctor allowed me). I DO need a referral to the pain management dr. I live in a medical marijuana state too, don't really have an interest in it until they work out all the bugs as far as the legalities of it goes. Seems like it's legal for medicinal purposes, but really not, if that makes sense.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
(female)

You can absolutely see a pain management doctor prior to the surgeon. Make sure you bring all your x-rays, MRI's reports, so he can review them.

I saw my pain management doctor first, he sent me for the initial MRI, and when he got the results, he referred me to a neurosurgeon because he knew there was nothing he could do that would help me, I was too far gone. He did give me pain medication and put me on a monthly regime. I did have to sign a contract and I did have to submit to an initial urine test. From time to time, they may ask for a urine sample. Not only are they looking for illegal drugs, but also looking to make sure if you're on a regime of medications, that you have the appropriate levels in you system. There are people that abuse their medication and they can catch it if you are taking too much, or if you are taking something they did not prescribe for you. Yes, they also won't allow you to receive any medications from any other doctors, and they also make me go to only one pharmacy. My pharmacist will only give me my medications exactly a month apart. They are really good at making sure you take your medication the way it's prescribed.

The pain management doctor can also do all types of injections to help alleviate the pain you are in, provided he believes the injections will help. Insurance companies may also require you to do the conservative route before they will pay for any surgery. They usually want you to exhaust all avenues or you really need a serious situation for them to pay for surgery.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Great info, thanks! Doesn't sound like such a bad deal. I think going that route keeps a lot of the not so honest people from getting pills to abuse. I know a few pill abusers personally, and it makes me so angry that they get a ridiculous amount of narcotic drugs for really no real reason, and I am sitting here in my situation.

You have given me some hope, so I should rest easier tonight. I'm not as stressed tonight as I was all day. Some times I just need to vent and then talk it all out, then I am better!

Thanks so much for all the great info and advice. I will definitely put it to good use!

How are YOU feeling??? I've been all caught up in my own self pity that I haven't asked about you.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
(female)

I hope you can find a good combination of doctors that will help you. My husband and I say that all the time. There are people that don't need medication, but they get it all the time; then, there are people like us with documented issues and it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to help you. That's why a lot of doctor's won't prescribe medication, they've gotten burnt by someone that's abusing their medication, so, therefore, the legitimate people suffer.

Me??? I'm doing good, thanks for asking. I have good days and bad days. Usually the weather dictates how I feel. It was cold and raining here yesterday, and I felt miserable. Today was a little better, so I felt a little better. I swear I can tell what the weather will be like by just paying attention to my body. A good majority of my problems have been resolved, but I'm never without any pain, at least, now, it's tolerable. I'm also still healing, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm bummed, though, no roller coasters this year.....LOL

Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Ldy View Post

The pain management doctor can also do all types of injections to help alleviate the pain you are in, provided he believes the injections will help. Insurance companies may also require you to do the conservative route before they will pay for any surgery. They usually want you to exhaust all avenues or you really need a serious situation for them to pay for surgery.
The surgery has to be deemed "medically necessary" in most cases which means you have exhausted all the conservative treatments and nothing has helped and the only way to make you better is to perform surgery. Having pain is not considered medically necessary unless it is intractable like mine was after months of conservative treatment. Other factors include a central compression which is causing progressive mylepathy and the loss of bowel and urine control.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Quote:

Me??? I'm doing good, thanks for asking. I have good days and bad days. Usually the weather dictates how I feel. It was cold and raining here yesterday, and I felt miserable. Today was a little better, so I felt a little better. I swear I can tell what the weather will be like by just paying attention to my body. A good majority of my problems have been resolved, but I'm never without any pain, at least, now, it's tolerable. I'm also still healing, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. I'm bummed, though, no roller coasters this year.....LOL
You live in New Jersey and it is humid which I suspect doesn't help those aches and pains.

You sound like someone with a positive attitude which I believe helps with the healing process.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I hope you can find a good combination of doctors that will help you. My husband and I say that all the time. There are people that don't need medication, but they get it all the time; then, there are people like us with documented issues and it's like pulling teeth to get anyone to help you. That's why a lot of doctor's won't prescribe medication, they've gotten burnt by someone that's abusing their medication, so, therefore, the legitimate people suffer.

I sent you a message, did you get it? Not sure if even know how to do it right. Same weather here. I'm not much for roller coasters, but sure would love to be fishing! Glad you're doing ok and not in miserable pain. Stories like yours gives other people hope!

I'm bumming because I was all signed up to do the MS walk tomorrow morning, but the weather has dictated otherwise for me. Rain & snow (maybe) and just to cold for me...32 tonight. I did collect $300.00 in donations for the MS society so that's all that really matter in the end!

Closed Thread