It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
(male)

VinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB User
Intubated after surgery?

My 3 level ACDF is May 15th. Dr. said I will most likely remain intubated and asleep for at least 24 hours to monitor swelling. Anyone have this experience? I dreamt last night I was in that '70's movie "Coma".

- Vin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User
Re: Intubated after surgery?

That's a new one, I've never heard of keeping the patient intubated after ACDF. My NS wanted me up and walking the day after surgery. He also wouldn't leave the OR until I was extubated, breathing on my own, and woken up from the anesthesia. My husband told me my doc was in and out of the recovery room keeping an eye on me, said he stayed there about an hour after my surgery. The people that I know that have had ACDF, none of them remained intubated after surgery. Did your doc tell you that your throat will be sore or that you may feel like you have a golfball stuck in your throat? They also have to move all the muscles, vocal cords, etc., so they can get to the spine, that alone will hurt your throat. Very interesting, maybe someone else has heard of this. I'm curious.

Last edited by NJ Ldy; 05-03-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
(male)

VinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB User

The reason he feels it's necessary to keep me intubated is that I have used a wheelchair my whole life (i'm 48) and my neck is very thick (muscular and fat), and I have pretty bad spleep apnea. So, he wants to make sure that there is not too much swelling to prevent me from breathing on my own. I guess it's a lot harder to re-intubate, than to leave it in? Hopefully, I will be asleep. Dr. is also having an ENT present during surgery.

- Vin

Old 05-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

Ok, that makes more sense, he's being cautious because of your situation. It would be hard to re-intubate if there was a lot of swelling, if the swelling was minimal, intubation wouldn't be too difficult. I'd rather have a doctor err on the side of caution, then having something go wrong that could have been prevented. Sounds like a very good doctor.

Here's to an uneventful surgery and speedy recovery!!!

Last edited by NJ Ldy; 05-03-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I was told the same thing but was able to be woken up sooner than a full 24 hours(I was told it could be 48 hours). And the problem was post-op swelling in the neck and in my case, due to an experimental bone putty that was causing swelling so bad it was killing patients. But it was the only way to fix my neck.

This is not that unusual. Heart patients are often kept under for a long time after surgery. Before they had really good pain control for knee and hip replacement patients, I remember my roommate being kept under and in the recovery room for 2 days after having both hips replaced. It's like being in the ICU only better...top of the line treatment.

And let me give you a good laugh...I remember "Coma" very well(read the book by Robin Cook too) and I pass the buildings where they shot that movie every time I go to see my spine surgeon...it's on the Mass Turnpike....the old Wang Industries buildings...the computer people. Even this last time I saw the buildings and chuckled.....will I end up hanging from the ceiling somewhere?

Don't worry...I'll rescue you if you suddenly disappear into oblivion. Besides, would they really want your organs? Tom Selleck yes(his first movie)but who the heck would want an organ from either of us? Not exactly prime pickings!

You'll do great. HSS just came in AGAIN as the top ortho hospital in the US by US News and World Report. They can't afford a missing patient...just a happy one.

hugs.............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
VinG (05-03-2012)
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

VinG:
I'm wishing you the very best of luck and will be keeping you and your dr's in my prayers. I'm happy they are taking extra precautions, rather than having to do a rush job later should anything go wrong. It sounds like you're in good hands. Keep us posted and if you have any pre or post op concerns be sure to ask on here, there are MANY people who are very willing to answer your question or just give a listening ear should you need one. ~Hugs, Kenzi.

The Following User Says Thank You to kenzibenzi For This Useful Post:
VinG (05-04-2012)
Closed Thread