It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Feeling better, but new symptom

I bought a gazelle (the glider, not the animal) a month ago. Despite the ungodly pain it has caused me to use it, I have used it faithfully ALMOST every day. I say almost because, some days like today, there is no way I can do it because I am simply too exhausted and would just whine until I fell on the floor and then whine some more.

I started out doing 1/2 mile a day for a week, then 1 mile a day for a week, now I'm up to doing 2 miles a day. The first week I thought I would just die! DIE! The first week my shoulder and arm felt like I had severe tendinitis (from the gazelle), along with every muscles in my body rejecting me. I worked past that. My right thigh still hurts as bad as it did 30 days ago. I'm pretty sure when I'm dead that thigh will still be hurting.

As of today; I can do the first mile without any pain except in my right thigh. Although I push myself through the 2nd mile, I feel I'm making progress. I feel like I'm getting stronger and it has greatly helped the hip pain. The burning/tingling in the back of my shoulder has eased up some. It's not gone, but between the exercise and REALLY concentrating on my posture it seems to be better. As I sit here typing it is tingling, but I'm having a real bad day today so I don't care...lol. Let it tingle until it's stupid tingling heart is content.

New symptom;
This just started 3 nights ago, but it is 3 nights too many!!! When I lay down on my pillow to sleep, the base of my skull on both sides starts throbbing. I've tried different positions and pillows. Seems it will only go away if I get up and sit in my chair upright.

Could this be caused by the the bone spur pressing further on the spinal cord when I lay down? It's already compressed to 7-8mm, maybe when I lay down I squash it further down? It's very painful, not one of those things you can just ignore until you fall asleep. I've barely slept in 3 days and my body feels like it's been run over by a truck. I need some sleep.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Feeling better, but new symptom

Hi Kenzi.....I have a Gazelle too but haven't been able to use it since I hurt my back last July. Hope to get it out soon.

As part of our anatomy, we have 2 arteries that go up to the brain through the top 6 vertebrae in our necks. They serve the back of the brain. I'm wondering of the exercise is causing the blood to be pumped too fast and it's backing up due to the bone spurs in your neck?

If I were you, I'd back off on the Gazelle for right now until you can talk to your doc about it. We have someone here who was passing out from those arteries getting pinched when she moved a certain way. Use the Gazelle but stop when it starts to throb if you must but for now, I'd be careful.

This is the reason most of us oppose chiropractic care for the neck as people have had strokes from neck manipulations...fatal strokes. No arteries in the rest of the vertebrae but from 6 up, you have 2 very crucial pathways to your brain. Until you know it's not from these arteries, I'd be very careful.

hugs...........Jenny

Old 05-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Jenny, it only throbs when I lay down at night to go to bed, that's many (6) hours after the gazelle.

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 05-05-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Would also like to add...
the gazelle DID NOT cause my thigh to hurt, my thigh has been giving me trouble for years. I'm going to ask the spine surgeon if it could be because of my spine and also my dr appt next week is to have my hip checked out. I'm hoping one day before I die, I will have the answer.
So yeah, just wanted to clear that up, the gazelle did not cause my thigh pain.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

Hi there, Kenzibenzi. I think you might have increased your exercise too quickly. In general, increasing by ten percent per week is advised to avoid injury and exercise fatigue. You increased by 100 percent both weeks. Since you are mostly pain-free for the first mile, I would drop back to one and one-tenth of a mile, and work your way up by .1 or .2 miles each week. It will add up quickly.

And, definitely ask the doctor about the throbbing. Intracranial pressure usually increases when you lie down and your body will adjust by lowering your pulse and/or blood pressure. While waiting to talk to your doctor, maybe you can spend a half-hour or so gradually reclining to a lying position? (I'm dealing with potential labile blood pressure, which fluctuates unpredictably, so I've been reading up on these things. You might also want to get checked by a cardiologist.)

The Following User Says Thank You to SweetPeainSF For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #6
(female)

rannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB User

Wow Kenzi, you amaze me. I'm guessing a gazelle is an exercise machine of some sort? I so admire your strength of character...increasing your exercise, while still in so much pain. I salute you. (from my dressing gown and blanket on the couch) lol! Do take it easy though, these lovely people are right, it sounds as if your body is telling you something, you certainly don't want to push vascular symptoms. Keep well, xxx

Old 05-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Sweetpea:
I had a ct scan of my head and a doppler on my neck 8 months ago, had ultrasound of my heart and doppler on my legs...all came back normal. I guess I live by the theory of "no pain no gain"....I've always pushed myself real hard even though I never get anywhere. I mean "I NEVER GET ANYWHERE!" No matter how hard I push myself I never lose any weight, that is usually my goal for abusing myself so hard. I count calories too, does no good. I think my Hashimoto's is just gonna keep me fat forever...lol. I will definitely bring the throbbing in the skull thing up to both my pcp and the spine surgeon. Thank you so much for your input. I PROMISE to slow down a few points tonight It's funny because just a few years ago I was the first one to be jumping on the trampoline and still climbing trees! I HATE whatever has happened to my spine!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

A gazelle is like a glider, it's kinda like cross country skiing. Google "Tony Little, Gazelle" you will see what it is. I will NEVER be as crazy on it as he is on it...lol. The thing is, no matter how hard I push myself at anything, I NEVER move forward. I have spine problems from my brain down to my butt. So it really doesn't matter if I go 1 mile or ten miles it will all hurt the same. I just figure it's helping my body in other ways, like blood pressure and cholesterol, so I keep doing it. It's certainly not helping me lose any weight. Like I told sweetpea...I've been checked for everything vascular about 8 months ago, that's why I asked if the spinal cord could be getting cut off to far when I lay down. The only real problems I have are musculoskeletal, the vascular part is all good. I hate getting old! I'll be right back at it tonight! I did sleep in the recliner last night, which helped both my leg and my neck. Tonight the burning/tingling in the back of my shoulder and neck are back at it again.

I had a great day though: went with my grandson and had him fitted for a tux for prom and got my granddaughter a swim suit. Best part of my day...... hubby took all the laundry to the laundry mat and did it while I slept away in my chair this morning. I think he is worried about this leg & neck thing.

Hope everyone had a great Sunday! ~Hugs, Kenzi

Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Kenzi....the reason I worry about it being vascular is that learn to associated certain kinds of pain/sensations with certain things. Burning pain tends to signify nerves (like we all know) and throbbing tends to be vascular as the heart pumps it makes any kind of vascular problem throb as well.

The problem with these arteries is that you can't see inside of them as they are inside the bones. Only an angiogram with dye will allow them to be seen properly.

So you need to slow it down until it stops happening when you lie down at night. And you need to tell your doc. We with spinal issues need to report all sorts of weird things because we have no idea what may be causing what.

I have rheumatoid arthritis of C1 and 2 and when it flares up, it makes the tissue around the bones swell up and gives me incredible headaches that makes me really fuzzy, mentally. But I needed my doc to tell me that. You need a doc to tell you why your head is throbbing so badly. But if you do part of the investigating by figuring out how much exercise triggers it, that will help your doc to diagnostically. If backing down on the exercise makes it go away, then that is another piece of the puzzle.

Look at it this way....if you have bone spurs inside your spinal canal, why wouldn't you have some inside the tunnels for the blood vessels? Now to figure out what will help and what it is and what you need to do about it.

I know how badly you want to exercise...I'm itching to get back to my PT pool but I've had sit on my butt for the past 6 weeks and only this week can I finally go back...with a physical therapist...driving me nuts. But I messed up my first neck surgery and broke the bones in my neck.....I have learned to respect the neck!

So....Respect Your Neck!

Hugs..............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Jenny ;-)
I just did one mile tonight, I promise! And it was a VERY SLOW mile. I'm too tired to push myself, I need to save some energy to put clean sheets on the bed.

I don't know if I could not do anything for 6 weeks. I know if I was forced to than I would have no choice. I'm glad you're feeling better and can get back into the pool. And I pray you continue to improve and can get back on your gazelle once day soon! Take care Jenny, and thanks so much for helping to get my head on straight! ~Hugs, Kenzi!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #11
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

Hey Kenzibenzi.....I'm a little worried about your exercising too and I'll tell you why. If you do have something going on with the discs/spurs etc., in your neck, you could potentially be making it worse by moving. All 3 times I was diagnosed, my NS and pain management doc made me promise that I would not absolutely would not exercise, move around too much, because if I move just the right way, the disc could press so far into my spinal cord and sever the cord rendering me dead. I had to beg my NS to let me get through the Christmas Holidays the first time, he wanted me in the OR ASAP, ended up I couldn't take the pain, and he pushed my surgery from January 3rd to December 10th; same thing with surgery #2 and #3. They were petrified that I was going to move the wrong way and cause some very serious damage. Maybe you should forget the exercising until you see the surgeon and see what he says, you may be doing more harm than good by moving all over, just a thought. I'd hate to see you hurt yourself. Sorry that you've got another symptom. With all these sympoms, I would be very careful with what you are doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Ldy For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

NJ Ldy:
This whole neck thing is soooooooooo very depressing! I never thought of it like you just explained it to me. You make a valid point. Everyone makes a valid point!

Today my grandson hugged me from the side. His chest was against my right shoulder (he's 6'3"), his hands wrapped around my left shoulder (hope this makes sense), it wasn't a real tight hug, but I had horrible pain in my neck when he did it and had to make him stop. It's been tight and dull ache ever since. I'm praying that didn't cause more problems.

My spine surgeon appt isn't until the 23rd. I just want it to be over. Even on the 23rd it won't be over I know, because then there will be more time passing and more appt's to come.....sighing. I hate sitting around and doing nothing.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Do you really think the glider would cause more problems with my neck? It really doesn't move the neck, my shoulders barely move, it's mostly my legs moving.

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
SweetPeainSF (05-06-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

Yes, I do, I had one of those gliders. Don't you have to move your arms in conjunction with your legs? If you've got bad discs/spurs any movement can cause an issue, you don't think you're moving the upper body, but you are, you cannot keep your upper body absolutely stiff and immoble while working your legs the way that machine works your legs. Just try and be careful, you don't want to cause any further damage; just thinking about ya!

The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Ldy For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-07-2012)
Closed Thread