It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Muscle relaxer question

I'm going to ask my doctor about giving me a muscle relaxer. I've taken Flexeril before, but the after affects are horrible; dizziness, foggy, sleepy the next day, etc.

Are there any other kinds of muscles relaxers? If you could tell me the names of any, that would be great, thanks!

~Kenzi

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Muscle relaxer question

I've tried Flexeril, Soma and Baclofen.

Soma makes me just as drowsy as Flexeril, but the effects don't last as long, so I can take it in the evening and be clearheaded at work the next day. I was prescribed it "as needed," and I used it only for particularly bad spasms.

Baclofen I had to take a small dose three times a day. I was a little drowsy when starting it, but after a few days my body adjusted, and then I didn't notice any side effects. The effects were less dramatic than the others, but I could tolerate it much better.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-08-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Thank you so much for the info. That is a much clearer image of the meds than I could find by Googling the side effects. Maybe I'll ask about the soma. I really need it to help me sleep, but want to be some what conscious the next day. My major problem is trying to relax enough to fall asleep. I have a lot of pain and I noticed my neck and shoulder muscles are just not relaxing, which contributes to the pain.

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 05-08-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB UserSweetPeainSF HB User

I couldn't tolerate the baclofen; made me nauseated unfortunately. I take Skelaxin during the day. It's not as strong as Soma or flexeril, but I can work after taking it. I currently use Soma at night and Skelaxin during the day. (There's finally a generic for Skelaxin, so that's good news!)

Old 05-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Is Skelaxin a muscle relaxer? I've never heard of it.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I found it. I'm writing down these names and going to talk with my doctor about them on Monday. Just trying to get some sleep and pain relief until I see the spine surgeon on the 23rd. I'm sure if I could relax a little, the neck & should pain/tingling may be relieved also. At least that's what I'm hoping for.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 05-09-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

There is another one that is supposed to be low sedating called Zanaflex. I start wheezing on most of them so I haven't been on most of them for a while.....about all I can use is Soma or Valium. But I do remember Zanaflex being pretty good and I could still work okay on it.

It is available as a generic under the name Tizanadine HCL.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-09-2012)
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ok, thanks Jenny. How are you feeling??

Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Started PT today and stretching those now freed up nerves is painful! Can't wait to get into the therapy pool on Friday to do it though. Will be easier in warm water.

As with all spine surgeries, recovery is always slow and I am giving it lots of time. Had dramatic improvement initially but now we are down to the nitty gritty and trying to get more feeling back in my feet. Balance testing shows a lot of improvement. Walking is more steady. Some differences in sensation still between the 2 legs but improving. Strength is good.

Started Cymbalta to try to increase the amount of feeling in my feet but it makes me so nauseous! Tired too.

So I'm resting, doing my physical therapy and my emotional therapy and just giving myself time to heal....I can still feel where they cut horizontally under the vertical skin incision. Can't afford to break or rupture anything in the healing period!

I just wish it would stop raining here in New England. I have another rescue cat coming this weekend from my son so I'll be running around chasing him so my back better pick up fast...it will be good exercise for me. I just don't want to be running around in the rain.

Take care................Jenny

Old 05-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

Jenny:
DO take it easy, and enjoy your new cat and the pool! The warm pool sounds wonderful! If I were closer I'd be right there in it with you. I'm glad you're still making progress. I think of you every day, especially when I'm whining... I say "Jenny is not on here whining, so stop it!"...lol. Keep us updated when you can. ~Hugs, Kenzi.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #11
(female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User

Hi Jenny,
Glad to hear that you are coming along. I wish that I could do some PT but I had to stop for a while - the spasms were really bad. Which leads me to the medication I take for it. Like the others on the board, I could not folate the flexeril or soma. Valium did nothing to loosen things up. Then out of the blue one night, I took Ativan and has helped me tremendously. I take 2 tablets at bedtime and I'm good to go. I wake up in the morning alert and not tight.

Take care,
Ariz

Old 05-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

I saw my doctor today. She gave me Elavil. Said to take one about an hour or two before bedtime and see if that helps me relax and fall asleep. If it doesn't help we can try something else at my next appointment. I don't know if they work yet, because I can't get the prescription filled until tomorrow.

Oh, and a sports medicine doctor who was there today fixed my hip right up!!! That's on the hip board.

Hope everyone is doing well tonight. Next appt is with the spine surgeon on the 23rd. Not far off now ~nervous~

~Hugs, Kenzi!

Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

Been thinking of you Kenzi, I take Elavil also at bedtime, it's suppose to help me stay asleep.....NOT!!! I still wake up every couple of hours. I also take Zanaflex, but I can only take it at bedtime because it always makes me sleepy. I take Skelaxin during the day for muscle spasms, as that doesn't make me sleepy. I'm waiting to hear what the doctor has to say to you on the 23rd! What was up with your hip? I have bursitis in my hips and got a steroid injection a few months back, I'm waiting to get another injection in the right hip, the left feels great since the injection.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Ldy View Post
What was up with your hip?
The hip/thigh pain started 3.5 years ago. It was actually the very top of my thigh into the groin area and the big muscle in my thigh. The last few months it has gotten SO BAD! The big muscle just felt beat up, and the upper inner thigh burned and pulled. I have limped for 3.5 years, asked last 3 dr's and 2 urgent care places for help... all of them just said "nothing is broken, it's probably arthritis." Anyway, when I saw my new pcp on Monday, she asked a sports medicine dr to look at my hip. That dr twisted my leg like a pretzel and determined that my hip was out of alignment. She jerked on my leg real hard and lined it right back up. INSTANT RELIEF! I was able to walk out of there, without limping and climb right into the car without any pain. I have all my range of motion and here it is 2 days later and still no pain! I am so happy! I haven't walked with out a limp or been able to move my leg from side to side for 3.5 years. It's unbelievable to me how something so simple can be fixed so easily.

A shrink said it was all in my head. 3 dr's said it was probably arthritis. 2 urgent care dr's probably just thought I was after pain meds. The neurologist said he didn't see anything on my lumbar mri that would cause that leg trouble. My last resort was gonna be to ask the spine surgeon if my cervical spine might be causing it? Nobody can imagine the happiness I am feeling about it!

I've been looking at my family saying "I TOLD you my leg hurt!" ~sarcasm~

Old 05-17-2012, 07:21 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

pebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB Userpebblebeach2 HB User

I was on Baclofen but stopped it because of the side effects. I was getting lightheaded; always drowsy and developed breathing problems from it and the oxycodone that I was on.

I am now on Tizanidine 2mg 3 times per day. Just started it so not sure yet how effective it is.

Closed Thread