It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
(male)

sinbadd HB User
Cervical nerve compression c5-6

Hi,

I've been having a severe pain at the back of the right shoulder blade.
the pain is particularly at a single point in the top of the blade.
the pain is especially severe when i try to get up from the bed.
Initially i thought, i've hurt my shoulder while lifting the weights.
As per doctor suggestion i took MRI for cervical spine and here is
the report.

MRI REPORT:

Technique:

T1 weighted and T2 weighted axials / sagittals

REPORT:

Straightening of the cervical spine with loss of normal lordosis -- due to spasm.

small sized posterocentral and right paracentral disc extrusion ( slight inferior extension ) is seen at c5-6 level. minimally indenting the exiting right C6 nerve root.

The remaining intervertebral discs appear normal. They do not show any significant bulge / protrusion.

The Vertebral bodies and their posteriro neural arches are normal in configurations and marrow signal intensities. The CV junction and Atlanto-axial joints appears normal.

AP diameters of the central spine canal in cms are as follows:

Vertebral levels / AP diameters
C2 / 1.74
C3 / 1.62
C4 / 1.62
C5 / 1.62
C6 / 1.70
C7 / 1.71

The cervical spinal cord appears normal in size and signal intensities.
No evidence of intramedullary/ extradural / intradural space occupying lesion seen.

The paraspinal soft tissues are normal.

IMPRESSION:

Small sized posterocentral and right paracentral disc extrusion at
c5-6 level, Minimally indenting the exiting right c6 nerve root.

I did not do anything for the disc to extrude, i did not meet with
any accident, or anything significant that might result into this.
Initially i had stiff neck, then little pain in the neck, then the pain
became severe in the shoulder blade, initially i did not have pain
in the shoulder blade, recently i'm feeling pain and numbness in my
right arm.

Ok now, here is my question, should i be worried, is this normal since
i am only 29 years old, particularly when there is no external cause like accident etc.

what is the treatment for this, what precautions should i take. please
help and guide me on this. I'm totally scared by reading cervical nerve
pinching problems in the board, some mentioned that it can lead to
total paralysis .

thanks

The following user gives a hug of support to sinbadd:
stefannsgirl (05-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
(female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User
Re: Cervical nerve compression c5-6

Hi,

After reading your MRI, basically, there is nothing drastically wrong. Yes, you've got a slight pinched nerve, which can reduce itself on it's own. You may benefit from some physical therapy, but there is nothing radically wrong with you. While the nerves can cause pain, it's more the pressing of discs/bone spurs on the spinal cord that the doctor's worry about, you have none of that; and, that is what can cause paralysis, not the pinched nerve. Some anti-inflammatory medication like ibuprofen may also help. The docs don't look at pain, they look to see if there are any neurological deficits, such as, weakness in your arms/legs...pain means nothing to them, that just means your body is working correctly and telling you something is out of whack, take it easy. I wouldn't worry. I hope your issues resolve quickly.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Ldy For This Useful Post:
kenzibenzi (05-20-2012), sinbadd (05-21-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Pretty benign report, but.... an indentation is an indentation, and I say that an indented nerve root (radiculopathy) could certainly be the cause of your neck/shoulder/arm problems (although only on the right side). If you start having symptoms in your right thumb and/or index finger, your C6 nerve is indeed at fault.

Have you been back to the doc who ordered the MRI? What does he say? Has anyone tested your arm strength?

I think you probably could try conservative treatment (or even hope that the problem just goes away). Also, a foraminotomy (the least drastic and intrusive of cervical spinal operations) might fix the problem, at least for a while.

Old 05-21-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
(male)

sinbadd HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Pretty benign report, but.... an indentation is an indentation, and I say that an indented nerve root (radiculopathy) could certainly be the cause of your neck/shoulder/arm problems (although only on the right side). If you start having symptoms in your right thumb and/or index finger, your C6 nerve is indeed at fault.

Have you been back to the doc who ordered the MRI? What does he say? Has anyone tested your arm strength?

I think you probably could try conservative treatment (or even hope that the problem just goes away). Also, a foraminotomy (the least drastic and intrusive of cervical spinal operations) might fix the problem, at least for a while.
thanks webdozer and nz lady for the inputs.

Yes, i visited the doctor today, he said the nerve root indentation is the cause for my pain in the shoulder and hand. He gave me the following medication for 15 days.

1. medrol tablets 4 mg (Methylprednisolone Tablets IP) - 3 daily for 5 days, 2 daily for next 5 days, 1 daily for the next 5 days.

2. Lyrica 75 mg (Pregabalin capsules ) - 1 daily for 15 days

3. nycoxia mr (pain killer)

apparently today i felt much better, i did not feel any pain in my shoulder.
except with my neck had little insignificant pain, i feel my right hand is of normal strength, though i'm being careful and not doing anything that will hurt my neck. He also asked me to wear soft cervical collar.

No, i did not feel any symptoms in my right thumb or index finger.

Ok, Now i have couple of questions. I'm a software engineer, my work requires me to sit in a chair for longer periods. what precautions should i take from now on. should i change my chair, if so, what type of chair ? what should i eat ? how should i sleep ?

Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I'm not the best source of answers for those questions. The Internet is full of sites that may help.

Sitting all day is very bad for your spine, but it's your lumbar spine that's affected (unless your sitting posture is very bad). Now that you've had a taste of what spinal problems can do, you might want to take precautions so that all that sitting doesn't result in lumbar trouble down the road.

Closed Thread