It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 AM   #16
(female)

Brandi893 HB User
Smile Re: Being a pain in the neck :(

Wow, lol u seem to know a bit about this stuff. So u think i should get a total of 3 opinions??? i don't know that person who knows a lot of people in Boston would be helpful to get in touch w/ her if u know her?

So omg i had to laugh with my husband at your comments about the radiologist, now this Dr is a radiologist at the hospital i work at. I know he's been there for a long time. I hope he wouldn't discriminate on my severity and not explaining things because of being an employee there? I don't think he would but I've had an old report from 2007 that reads i think a little better with more description in that one. let me know if u want to read that one. i type fast.

I don't disagree w/ your thoughts and i'm going to write them to my list of questions and try to get a little more fluent w/ the medical terminology wh/ i know some but not others. So to see if that idea of having the foraminotomy, or laminoplasty would be an option for me. I have been scared about being coming Frankenstein w/ nuts and bolts in my neck LOL

The neurosurgeon performed his exam and when having me do certain things says just w/ that exam that their was spinal cord involvement compression, my reflexes are hyper, i also told him a couple of times when i put my neck down for a stretch cause it's tired or what ever, i feel this snap/and zing all through out the body to my foot, horrible feeling so i don't stretch my neck in that way anymore. So I'm going to find out if the guy in Boston will see me, I'm kind of ****** cause by this radiologist report i don't want him thinking that i have mild symptoms by basing his decision to see me on this report. and then not taking me to really look at my MRI and do an exam. so we'll see i may ask this Dr. who said he would give a call to the Dr their if i have trouble getting in to see him. then we will try to get a 3rd opinion as well and then see thanks for the humor and the great information
as well as taking the time to read and offer the knowledge u have. If u want me to post my old MRI let me know, that one seemed more detailed that this one, i know they're are changes but let me know. again thx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Being a pain in the neck :(

<< So u think i should get a total of 3 opinions??? >>

At least. Before my last surgery, I talked to three surgeons six times. #1/#2/#1/#3/#2/#2

<< i don't know that person who knows a lot of people in Boston would be helpful to get in touch w/ her if u know her? >>

Jennybyc is the most knowledgeable and most "experienced" (unfortunately for her!) poster on this board. Assuming you cannot pm her, I will do it and ask her to join. Also, you could maybe start a thread with the title indicating you want docs in Boston, and she may see it.

<< So omg i had to laugh with my husband at your comments about the radiologist, now this Dr is a radiologist at the hospital i work at. I know he's been there for a long time. >>

Maybe he's getting tired?

<< I hope he wouldn't discriminate on my severity and not explaining things because of being an employee there? >>

That's a terrible thought. Is he a part owner? Whatever, he sure seems to have blown this one.

<< I don't think he would but I've had an old report from 2007 that reads i think a little better with more description in that one. let me know if u want to read that one. i type fast. >>

Same radiologist? I think, though, that five years back is too far.

<< I don't disagree w/ your thoughts and i'm going to write them to my list of questions and try to get a little more fluent w/ the medical terminology wh/ i know some but not others. So to see if that idea of having the foraminotomy, or laminoplasty would be an option for me. I have been scared about being coming Frankenstein w/ nuts and bolts in my neck LOL >>

My foraminotomy was outpatient. It wasn't scheduled as such, but they let me out mid-afternoon. No pain, no disability. Your foraminotomy needs - if you go that route - are somewhat more extensive, though.

<< The neurosurgen performed his exam and when having me do certain things says just w/ that exam that their was spinal cord involvement compression, my reflexes are hyper, i also told him a couple of times when i put my neck down for a stretch cause it's tired or what ever, i feel this snap/and zing all through out the body to my foot >>

Yeah, sure sounds like the cord. Too bad.

<< So i'm going to find out if the guy in boston will see me, i'm kind of ****** cause by this radiologist report i don't want him thinking that i have mild symptoms by basing his decision to see me on this report. >>

If you tell him you've had a 4-level ACDF recommended, I think he will look at the images. In fact, were I a NS, I would ALWAYS look at the images. I might read the radiologist's report, but only afterward.

Last edited by WebDozer; 05-25-2012 at 08:24 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
Brandi893 (05-25-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
(female)

Brandi893 HB User

the mri from o7 was from a different radiologist in concord mass, thanks again you are very helpfull, i'll update progress once i know

Old 05-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Brandi....I'm the person who has the NS in Boston.....at New England Baptist Hospital.

There are many choices at NEBH as the Boston Spine Group works there but the neurosurgery group is where the newest and best stuff is being done. If you go to the hospital website, and click on that your looking for a doctor who a neurosurgeon, you'll see the names there with contact info. I have the chief of neurosurgery, Dr. Eric J. Woodard and he's done 2 huge surgeries on my cervical spine(I'm fused C3 to T1) and I just had a lumbar surgery done 8 weeks ago that has been spectacular. I knew it had worked as soon as I woke up. He also does the much newer "laminoplasty" that fixes the neck without a fusion. I had this done and it was great....another "it worked" as soon as I woke up. Unfortunately, I later broke my neck and he had no choice but to fuse it. He has a new associate that I like a lot and who you could get into see much faster and he is Dr. Nicholas Marcotte. I assume he also does laminoplasties.

Anyhow, I just wanted to stop by and say hello and I'll be back more to read the entire thread. I've developed trigger fingers in both hands so typing has been hard and why I've been off the boards resting my hands. Hunt and peck time for me.

Where are you seeing someone now...which hospital are they associated with?

hugs...............Jenny

Old 05-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #20
(female)

Brandi893 HB User

Hi Jenny,

Thanks so much for getting in touch with me, i have seen this Dr.

Christian P. DiPaola, MD
Adult Specialties: Orthopedics, Surgery - Spine
Primary Hospital: UMass Memorial Medical Center
Umass Memorial Medical Group Member

Physician Profile
Practice Locations

Clinical Interests: Spinal deformity/scoliosis, spinal trauma, spinal tumors (metastatic and primary)
Title:

Assistant Professor of Orthopedics and Physical Rehabilitation, University of Massachusetts Medical School

Medical School:

Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY, 2003

Residency:

University of Rochester Medical Center

Fellowship:

University of British Columbia - Vancouver General Hospital/British Columbia Children's Hospital (Combined Neurosurgical and Orthopaedic Spine Program)

Dr. Deters is a physiotherapist in Leominster that recommended actually Dr. Connelly, but said this Dr. DiPaola was very good.

when i told him of my experience and need for surgery from c3-c7, he had recommended, (dr. deters), to get a second opinion to be sure this is the needed surgery to be done, so he told me Dr. Banco from Newton and Wellsley so idk, i'm waiting still if i get an appt from my MRI they were supposed to get back to me this afternoon and did not yet, so the Dr. was just back from a few days off, so must have been busy i guess. Just more days to wonder if i get an appt for the second opinion or not....ugh If not i can try calling another one? sounds like getting 3 opinions would not be that bad.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Sounds like you are in the Leominster/Fitchberg area? I don't know much about UMass Medical but I can tell you that NEBH does the Celtics and is world renowned. Dr. Woodard is also world class......I had him checked out by a malpractice attorney and he told me he was one of the best in the world. When I went down to NYC to The Hospital for Special Surgery for a second opinion, they told me that he was one of the best and to stick with him. I know that were it not for him, when my neck broke, I would have been paralyzed without his amazing surgery. Now, 95% of the effects from breaking my neck are gone.

NEBH is in the south end of Boston a couple of blocks from Brigham & Women's. It is a private hospital so many of the Harvard docs use it as they can control who goes in and out of the place. My first time there in 1980, Rose Kennedy was there. Always some celebrity there.

But I go there now because they have a post-op infection rate of .27% instead of the more normal 2.5% that is the average. And that is with over 5000 joint replacements done every year. Small place(under 500 beds) but with 17 OR's. My doc is chief of neurosurgery there and used to be chief of spine surgery at Brigham & Women's. You won't find anyone better. It's worth the 3 hour drive each way for me.

We all need at least 1-2 second opinions. With all the new surgeries out there, it's worth being seen by someone who does the latest stuff and at least give yourself a chance to be evaluated for a non-fusion type surgery. You may not be the type who could use one. But once you have a fusion, you will eventually develop problems above or below it and it will need more surgery(something they never tell you). If you can avoid a fusion right from the start, then you avoid additional surgery and keep a full range of motion in your neck. As one who is fused from C3 to T1, you lose at least 50% of head motion. They have to go up to C2 and it's 75% that you lose.

This is one time where expertize makes all the difference in the world. Whether you spend the rest of your life in pain with a bad range of motion depends on your doc's expertize. If you want the best outcome, you go to the very best doc you can see. And he's no more expensive than anyone else(unlike what I found in NYC).

Jenny

Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #22
(female)

Brandi893 HB User

do u think i would have a difficult time getting in to see him??? and yes u are right i live in leominster LOL. Do they accept most insurances? we have blue cross i'll have to try to go the website. Thank you from the bottem of my heart for giving me this information. It is such a comfort to talk to all of you, i'm so glad i found this message board, you are all wonderful people truly!!!!!

Old 05-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

In order to see either doc, you need a referral from your own doc. It should be a letter requesting an evaluation and include the report on the most recent MRI or even the CD of it. If they think you are in need of surgery, they will schedule an appointment. Normally, to get in to see Dr. Woodard takes 4-6 months and I don't know about Dr. Marcotte as he's new. But if Dr. Woodard thinks you need to be seen sooner rather than later, he makes the time to get you in......I got in to see him in 3 weeks and was in surgery in 4 weeks. Dr, Marcotte might be even faster. A word about Dr. Marcotte....he was a fellow who spent a year training with Dr. Woodard and Woodard thought so highly of his skills, he hired him....so he's good. In fact, he recently did my lumbar surgery(so I found out). I don't mind....I arrived 3 hours late for surgery due to a huge accident that stopped all traffic and trapped us on the highway so I was just happy anyone did the surgery. I figured I'd be sent home and told to come back in another month! He did an awesome job. I'd see him for anything in the future.

So I'd ask for a referral to Dr. Woodard from your doc in Leominster and when they call about an appointment, you can ask how long it will take and if it will take too long, ask about seeing Dr. Marcotte since the 2 work together most of the time.

hugs.............Jenny

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Brandi893 (05-26-2012), kenzibenzi (05-27-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #24
(female)

Brandi893 HB User

thank you soo much jenny i'll try to see what i can do, i hope i have a chance to see one of those dr's. your knowledge really helps and i'm so thankful to
webdozer either talking to u or u seeing my thread, this message board is very helpful

Closed Thread