It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
(male)

certhoralum HB User
Herniation @ t7/8 with sryinx

Hello all, A bit nervous, among other spine level disorders, the one that is producing the most anxiety and problems is a herniation at T7/8 with cord abutment and also a 2mm sryinx going throughout that same location. Pain at that site even after my second steroid injection, a wrap around discomfort and some tingling in my right hand. I am receiving a total of 18 injections in all three levels, cervical,thoracic and lumbar which includes facets .
Can anyone offer advice or opinion on the thoracic surgery. Extremely nervous about further damage while working and surgery

The following user gives a hug of support to certhoralum:
kenzibenzi (06-03-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Herniation @ t7/8 with sryinx

Your wrap around pain would be from the thoracic problem but your right hand tingling would be a cervical problem. I have herniated disks at T6,7 and 8 so I have that too but more and more, it is turning to numbness.

Thoracic surgery is tough to do and most docs won't do it for pain or even numbness but only when the cord compression gets so bad, you can barely walk. To remove a herniated disk requires going under the lung and heart to reach it so it is very perilous surgery. More likely, they would do a laminectomy to give the cord some room and then you have an unprotected spinal cord at the most vulnerable area of your back. So as my doc has said to me...learn to live with it.

If you do want to consider surgery, make sure you see the very best spine surgeon you can at a major medical center attached to a medical school...they are the most up to date. If the syrinx gets large enough, they can be surgically worked on as well but yours is very small right now so best left alone.

Spine surgeons don't worry about pain when it comes to spines as only an alive and kicking nerve and cord will produce pain. It's numbness and weakness that worry them.....that indicates a nerve/cord in trouble. So let that be your guide as to when to worry and consider surgery...not pain.

Sorry you have join our group here but welcome.

Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
fmimom51 (06-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
(male)

certhoralum HB User

Thankyou very much, the Doc, has said that she thinks I am a candidate in the near future for at least two surgeries at lumbar and cervical which she considers not too bad. She does not want to consider thinking about the T spine . . What I am wondering is should I consider working less hours to help lessen chances for worsening my conditions. I have a semi-physical job and it can be easy for me to aggravate my back. I`m 55 and do not want to completely be wrecked .
thanks agai

Old 06-03-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

I too have problems with my T7-8. It's painful, in fact, that ONE T7-8 problem causes me more pain than my entire spine put together. I don't really have any answers, just wanted you to know that I was here and that I understand. I know working a physical job does aggravate it. I did warehouse work for many years, thought I would die most days. I hope you can find the answers and help you're looking for. For me, heat helps at the time of application, but once I get up and start moving around again the pain comes back. You might try one of those heat wraps and wear it while working to see if that helps. Hope you feel better!

The Following User Says Thank You to kenzibenzi For This Useful Post:
certhoralum (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

That would be a question for your spine surgeon. Since you have cervical and lumbar problems as well, the spine would be taken in it's totality in deciding if you should change jobs or look at disability.

Time for a very frank talk with your doc.

Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
certhoralum (06-03-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
(male)

certhoralum HB User

Alas, a decision will have to be made for myself by myself with my Doc`s help. Its impossible to see into the future but its almost a safe bet that if things continue and I continue to put the same routine on my spine I will have a rough quality of life when and if I have Grandkids. Thanks all for your help and I will continue to ask of your opinions, and best of luck and health to you as well

Closed Thread