It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
(female)

nola HB Usernola HB Usernola HB User
Question Help with understanding MRI please

Hello, I'm new here and I'm waiting for more testing before I get my final diagnosis, but I received the results of my T-spine MRI and would appreciate it very much if someone can help me to understand it:
Here's the area of concern:
There is a 1.0 x 0.6 x 1.5 cm focus of signal abnormality within the left prevertebral soft tissues along the left anterior aspect of T4. Differential considerations include foregut duplication cyst and neurenteric cyst.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Help with understanding MRI please

To understand it, you need to break down the terminology.

You have a cyst at T4. The T4 vertebra is at the lower end of your shoulder blades, so you know where it is. A cyst, no matter what kind, is a sack of fluid or other material but the vast majority are benign. They say it's at the "anterior" aspect of the bone...and that is good. The spinal cord and nerves are at the back of the vertebra....this is at the front where the bone and disks are so it isn't hurting your spinal cord.

But there are a lot of vital structures in front of the spine like your heart, lungs and esophagus so if it is causing pain, they may want to take it out but if it's not touching anything important, they may just leave it and watch it to see if it grows. Many cysts grow to a certain size and then go back down or burst and go away.

What has your doc suggested as treatment?

Hugs..............Jenny

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
(female)

Thank you, Jenny! I appreciate your response. This may sound stupid but is a cyst the same thing as a lesion? My neurologist calls it a lesion. I've been going through the testing process for MS. I may have posted my question in the wrong forum if it's MS related but it's results from my t-spine mri, so I didn't know where else to put it.

I do have pain in my chest, been having it for a few months now, it comes and goes and sometimes radiates to my back in the same location as this cyst/lesion. My heart is fine so it would make sense that this cyst or lesion is pressing on something. I dread the prospect of surgery so I hope it goes away on its own.

Can a cyst or lesion in that location cause numbness in left side of body?
Thanks again!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

A lesion is something, anything that shouldn't be there, be it a cyst or tumor or abscess.

If the cyst is pressing on the nerve as it comes around the bone, then yes, it could cause numbness. The area affected by T4 would come around to the breast right at the nipple. It could also affect the nerves above and below so the entire area of the breast might be affected as well as the back adjacent to it.

If I recall, MS affects the white matter of the brain and even the white matter of the spinal cord...not the vertebral bone or soft tissues adjacent to the bone. So this would not be an MS issue.

Let me know what they decide to do about it, if anything. And if the doc suggests surgery, get at least 1 more opinion if not 2.

hugs............Jenny

Old 06-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks, Jenny, that is exactly where it hurts! I have other symptoms that are consistent with MS and I have to do a lumbar puncture to find out. This cyst may not even be related to it. When my mom was first diagnosed with MS, she had no lesions, but years later she did. The lumbar puncture and other testing is what confirmed her diagnosis.

I hope I end up not having MS but my other symptoms are more than consistent with it and almost exactly like my moms, so I've prepared myself to hear "yes", that way if I don't, I'll be relieved but also worried about the real cause of my other symptoms!

Thanks for your advice on second opinions, I'll definitely want a second opinion.

Closed Thread