It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
(female)

photogirl65 HB User
Help - MRI showing three cervical herniations with spondylosis and stenosis

I posted this initially on the "back" board ... but after reading some responses to other threads, realized that cervical issues should be posted on the "spinal cord disorders" board ... so here's the post:

I was hoping someone could help me interpret my Cervical Spine MRI results. My chiropractor ordered the MRI and I'm being referred to a neurosurgeon. I'm overwhelmed by the results of the MRI and would like to have a general idea of the severity of what's apparently going on in my neck.

At C5-6 there is a broad posterior disc herniation indenting the thecal sac superimposed on spondylosis causing bilaterial neural foraminal stenosis. Intervertebral disc space height and signal loss is noted.

At C4-5 there is a central disc herniation abutting the cord.

At C3-4 there is a central disc herniation indenting the thecal sac.

At C3-4 and C4-5 there is moderate right neural foraminal stenosis secondary to spondylosis.

Other findings: normal alignment of all cervical vertebrae, no masses seen, tonsils are above the foramen magnum, cervical cord is normal in caliber and signal intensity, no areas of pathological signal intensity within the bone marrow of the vertebral bodies. Facet joints are unremarekable in 2-3, 6-7, 7-t1.

In mid May, my neck had felt overly tense ... sore neck muscles, etc. I got a massage and felt better for a few hours, then back to the same by that night. 3 days later, my right thumb went numb. Then the inside of my wrist was numb. The area between my wrist and elbow is fine. The outside of my right upper arm is in pain most of the time, especially when on the computer or after using my camera. My right shoulder is sometimes excruciating - I actually was thinking I was having rotator cuff issues because I've noticed the right shoulder pain off and on for six months, but basically ignored it. Now I'm wondering if it's been because of these cervical disc herniations. Also for the past 6 months, I have woken up on a regular basis with my right arm totally asleep (the kind of asleep where you have to pick it up with your other hand - DEAD asleep). It's always my right arm (the arm I'm having problems with now). Is it likely that there's a correlation with my right shoulder bothering me for the past 6 months, my right arm falling dead asleep in the night for the past six months, and now these MRI results?

Also, on my LEFT foot, my two small toes go numb fairly regularly. Not painful, so I've ignored it. Been going on about 6 months.

I began having neck issues when I was 25 years old (I'm 47 now) and began going to the chiropractor. It began with "acute torticolis" (muscle spasms) ... this went off and on for many years. Then one day my lower (lumbar) back went out - chiropractor said I have bulging lumbar discs and is usually able to quickly get it under control and tolerable (therefore he's never ordered an MRI for my lower back). My neck hasn't bothered me in several years until last month (May). The chiropractor began normal treatment - the tens-unit type stuff for spasms, the neck brace that he pumps up to lift the head off of the shoulders, and even did an adjustment to align the discs in my neck, recommending the ice/heat regimen and ibuprofen. After the pain only got worse he ordered an MRI and the results are above. He's sending me to a neurosurgeon. I haven't got a call back for the appointment yet and I'm having a hard time trying to guess what I'm looking at.

I've tried looking up all this stuff up on the internet (spondylosis, stenosis, bilateral neural foraminal stenosis, abutting the cord, indenting the thecal sac, etc.). I also find on the internet all different kinds of treatments, from injections to physical therapy to different types of surgeries. However I am wondering about the "combination" of all of my issues if that makes a difference in whether they'd try one treatment (PT) over another (surgery).

If there's anyone on here that could say, "you're probably looking at PT" or "you're probably looking at surgery" or "they always try this before they do that for your condition" I would be very grateful.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Help - MRI showing three cervical herniations with spondylosis and stenosis

I just answered your post on the Back Problems board and suggested you come over here....and you're here!

If you would, read my response there and we'll talk more here....and I know others will add their 2 cents as well.

hugs.............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
photogirl65 (06-08-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
(female)

photogirl65 HB User

Thanks Jenny .. No reference is made to how many mm's they are narrowed. And it only refers to "moderate" when they talk about the stenosis.

So it is likely that it sounds a lot worse to me than it really is, right? Probably no surgery, just physical therapy?

Thanks again.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

"Moderate" means a 3 out of 4 on the blockage scale so it is significant. Could you print the exact sentence where it is used so I know if it's in reference to your cord or the spinal nerves?

Some docs will operate if the cord is at the moderate level but with the nerves, most want to wait until you reach the severe level.

Another thing I always tell everyone...pain is good when it comes to the spine. Pain means the nerves are alive and kicking. Numbness and muscle function loss is when you get scared.....precedes paralysis. As long as you are in a lot of pain, that is good. When I had my surgery, I thought my neck was getting better as I didn't hurt anymore. WRONG! Lack of pain is a bad symptom.

Jenny

Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
(female)

photogirl65 HB User

Under "Findings" it says:

At C3-4 there is a central disc herniation indenting the thecal sac. There is spondylosis causing moderate right neural foraminal stenosis.

At C4-5 there is a central disc herniation abutting the cord with spondylosis causing moderate right neural foraminal stenosis. The facet joints are unremarkable. The paravertebral soft tissues are normal.

(along with all the other stuff I listed at the beginning of this thread.)

Under "Impression" it says:

At C3-4 and C4-5 there is moderate right neural foraminal stenosis secondary to spondylosis.

(along with all the other stuff I listed at the beginning of this thread.)

As for pain and numbness:

My "neck" doesn't hurt anymore. My 'skin" in my neck doesn't feel numb or anything, and the neck itself doesn't really hurt. As a side note, it does feel weird and kind of hurts if I start rolling my neck (like you would do before you work out to stretch) ... I hear 'crunching" and after rolling my neck around there is a weird pain and my arm tingles more.

My right arm feels as if it's fallen asleep and then only woken half-way up. Does that make sense? It feels hot, heavy, very tingly. The skin on my thumb is numb, yet I can still move my thumb independently. The skin on the inside of my wrist is numb, although I can bend my wrist. From my wrist to my elbow I don't feel any skin numbness. My upper arm (triceps and biceps area) along with my right shoulder aches tremendously, especially now as I am typing on my computer. I've been typing this response for about 2 - 3 minutes so far, and my shoulder and upper arm is killing me.

So, in short, there is pain (good sign?) in my upper arm and shoulder. There is no pain in my hand, wrist, thumb. (bad?). I don't know how the nerves work, so I don't know if it were to be the beginnings of paralysis, would this be the proper order ... meaning would the thumb be the first thing to get paralysis, or does it travel the other way? When it all started, it started in my thumb. The upper arm and shoulder pain was the last thing to develop.

Does that help clarify anything?

Last edited by photogirl65; 06-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Closed Thread