It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

Angelb11 HB User
New Member -Cervical problem lead to sacroiliitis?

Hello everyone, I am 38 year old wife and mother of 2 who had my first cervical spine injury in 2007. I went through conservative treatment for a few month and never thought about it again (I didnt take it seriously) until jan 2011 when i was injured again doing similar activities. I have been in pain every since.

I have been browsing these boards for a while and i have cried, laughed, and prayed with you guys. I have come to realize that living in pain is lonely and support is needed; I may not have the worst case but I hope to be a support to someone. I would also like to gain an understanding of my own condition.

I have been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and sacoiliitis. According to my neurosurgeon I have straightening of the normal cervical lordosis with mild kyphotic deformity centered at c5-c6. There are type 3 modic changes at the c5-c6 endplate. The axial images demonstate broad-based disk herniation with narrowing of the spinal canal with a moderate narrowing of the neural foramen bilaterally.

Latest MRI results are not very detailed in my opinion. I had an MRI in 2008 also.
current mri results:

c2-c3 partially degenerated with central bulge, c3-c4 bulging disc centrally producing a ventral defect in anterior thecal sac, c4-c5 smal extruded sequestered disc lying posterior to the superior aspect of c5 vertebra, c5-c6 broad based central disc protrusion slightly eccentric to the left with cord impingement, c6-c7 disc demonstrates a bulge
There is straightening of the cervical lordosis. There is degenerative change at c5-6 with narrowing of the disc space and sclerotic end plate changes.
I also have severe tendinosis of the supraspinatus tendon, and other shoulder problem.

The most painful problem is the sacroiliitis although the neck pain/spasm are no picnic. I have spasms down both arms, left thumb and forefinger numbness/tingling, right pinky to elm numbness/tingling. Some days it hurts to breath because of pain in my back(near shoulder blade) which the doctor says is a result of inflammation around the disc. I am considering ACDF. Any comments and opinions on the seriousness of my condition would be appreciated.
Could my neck problem be causing the sacro pain?
Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: New Member -Cervical problem lead to sacroiliitis?

Sacroiliitis is an inflammation of the sacroiliiac joint or that general sacral region. Is that the word you meant to use? I usually think of sacroiliitis in association with lumbar issues. But it can also be a symptom of some of the spondyloarthropathies, which cause inflammatory arthritis of the spine. Sacroiliitis may also be a component of other types of arthritis, such as ulcerative colitis, Crohnís disease, or osteoarthritis. It's primary symptoms are pain in the low back and especially, the buttocks, pain when sitting, and pain in the joints that connect the sacrum to the pelvis.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #3
(female)

Angelb11 HB User

Thank you for the reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
Is that the word you meant to use?
Yes, I meant sacroiliitis. My doctor says he thinks its due to me holding my head to the side (due to neck pain) and changing the way that I walk after the last injury. He says that I have thrown that area out of balance so to speak.
I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else with similar neck issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
I usually think of sacroiliitis in association with lumbar issues. But it can also be a symptom of some of the spondyloarthropathies, which cause inflammatory arthritis of the spine.
Based on my limited research of the condition this is my assumption also. I do have 2 mild bulging disc at L2-3 and L3-4 otherwise unremarkable.

If my neck is causing this, its enough to drive me to have surgery. If it wasnt for this sacro pain, I think i could hold out on the surgery although my doctor says I be paralyzed if not careful.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Angelb....holding your head to one side can throw off your entire spine and make your lower back hurt(SI joint problems) but a more common reason for us women was child birth...have you had any kids?

But they also saw "modic" changes at the endplates of C5-6 and that could be a sign that you may be developing an inflammatory type of arthritis. These disorders make syndesmophytes....a particular type of bone spur that can be seen. They tend to be extremely hard(sclerotic) and can fuse the vertebrae together. So between the 2 things, you may be developing a problem.

If you have so many neck problems that you hold your head off to the side, it would be worth considering an ACDF to fix it. You need to keep your spine as straight as possible. and it's better to have the surgeon fuse your vertebrae the way they should be than to have them fuse themselves in a position that keeps you in pain.

Then after all that, you may want to be evaluated by a rheumatologist for further treatment if they think it's inflammatory.

Hope this helps................Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 06-11-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
(female)

Angelb11 HB User

Thank you for the reply jenny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
But they also saw "modic" changes at the endplates of C5-6 and that could be a sign that you may be developing an inflammatory type of arthritis. These disorders make syndesmophytes....a particular type of bone spur that can be seen. They tend to be extremely hard(sclerotic) and can fuse the vertebrae together. So between the 2 things, you may be developing a problem.

Then after all that, you may want to be evaluated by a rheumatologist for further treatment if they think it's inflammatory.
I have two children, a 16 year old and a 7 year old. The pain progressed from 1 yr. ago. I've read something about inflammatory arthritis, my doctor has not mentioned anything it. Spondylolisthesis is the only thing that comes to mind but I am sure there are more. I have modic changes on on two disc but i could not find 2nd sheet. Both my neurosurgeon and neurologist says that ways going on with the si joint is connected to the neck. I had doubts and went searching for other possibilities. I do trust them, I just second guess everything.

I do think that it is time for me to seriously consider the surgery. Before I was kicking it around and to be honest until recently there was still a level of denial of the seriousness or anticipation that my neck will heal on it own. I didnt research it because i felt that I am young and active and it will heal on it own. STUPID!

Closed Thread