It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #1
(female)

yayakime HB User
Unhappy Need help with MRI results

Hello my name is Kim and I have been suffering with severe neck and back pain. I started in Sept 11 when I was working, the pain would be severe by the end of the day. I didnt go to dr until feb 2012. Ive had physical therapy and took lots of motin. My pain progressively got worse over time. Had MRI 6/12/12--Here are my results

Lumbar

The conus medullaris is normal. Terminating at L!. There is moderate l1-2 degenerative disc space narrowing the disc desiccation with mile posterior central bulging disc. There is mild right neutoforaminal narrowing at this level by rt lateral bulging disc.

There is mini right posterior central bulging disc at L 2-3.

At l4-5 thiere is mild disc desiccation with mild diffuse posterior central bulging disc and mild facet hypertrophy, resulting in mild spinal stenosis. No significat foraminal narrowing is seen. There is a 1cm hemangioma within the l4 vertebra body.

L5-s1 disc space appears unmarkable

Cervical spine

The seven cerical vertabral bodies are normal in stature, with straightening of the vervical spine. The cervical cord appears normal. The verebellar tonsils appear normal. The c2-3 and C3-4 disc appears normal. There is mild posterior central bulging disc at c4-5. No formaminal narrowing seen.

At c 5-6 there is mild posterior central bulging disc osteophyte conplex causing mild impressionupon the ventral thecal sac. with no cord compression. Mild left neuroforaminal narrowing is seen at this left by posterior osteophytes.

At the c6-7 level, posterior ventral bulging disc noted. No central spinal stenosis is seem

C7-t1 disc space appears normal.

Pleas help me with why I am in soooo much pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Need help with MRI results

All I can say is that your cervical MRI looks fine. The "straightened cervical spine" might possibly put some stress on muscles, but it might also be a result of stressed muscles.

Lumbar looks pretty good, too, with the possible exception of the hemangioma. One cm seems pretty big.

Others here can comment better of pain not originating with spinal problems....

Last edited by WebDozer; 06-14-2012 at 06:50 AM.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The major cause of most spine pain is muscles. You have a lot of little things going wrong with your entire spine and what that does is put enormous stress on the muscles to try to take up the slack. Your spine is slightly deteriorating(as it does with age)and the muscles work to support it instead. but most of us never pay to much attention to our back and core muscles(abs, chest, upper and lower back and major muscles of the upper legs and arms)and so they start to spasm. Nothing hurts like muscle spasms. It squeezes the blood out of them so acid builds up in the tissue and it burns and aches and hurts like nothing else. I'll take nerve pain any day over muscle pain.

So I suspect your major pain is from muscle spasms in your neck and lower back that are probably setting off even more spasms elsewhere. Ask about getting some muscle relaxers. Heat helps so hot bathes or showers and hot packs and heating pads will help. I love those Therma Care wraps you can put on for 12 hours. PT would help too...they can massage out some of the spasms and help you strengthen the muscles that would support your spine and neck......I do my exercises 3 times a week minimum...faithfully. Keeps the pain down and movement going. Just feel the muscles between your neck and shoulders and if they feel like rock...that is muscle spasms at work! They even have a machine called E-Stim that can stimulate the muscles to contract rapidly over and over again until they get so tired, they finally relax....great on the neck!

As Web said, your spine doesn't look bad but you hurt badly. I'd recommend that you try to see a physical medicine doc(physiatrist)....most work with hospitals but treat out-patients too. They are rehab docs. You can see a pain management doc but rehab docs treat pain too and they also know every muscle and in your body and can help you find relief for those spasms rather than throwing pain meds at them. Mind got me into pool therapy and it's been wonderful. A certified pool therapy program must keep the water at 92* or slightly higher to qualify. The warm water keeps the muscles from cramping up while you move. Any colder than that and it defeats the purpose. I started in the pool stiff and weak and now I can move so easily and have gained a lot of strength. Never thought it was possible...something to consider...doing PT at a place that offers aquatic therapy in a pool.

I'm sorry you've had to join our little group here but I hope we can help you.

gentle hugs...............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
yayakime (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
(female)

yayakime HB User

I just want to thank the both of you for your input---I was in horrible pain today, not to mention the never ending headaches that I am getting. The flexeril and Ultrams do not touch the pain that I am in. Today was also my follow-up appointment regarding my MRI--she said pretty much what was said above--She is sending me for an EMG/NVC (nerve study) and referring me to Pain Management--..... She is also putting me on Valiums for 10 days and also starting me on Neurotin medication. I broke down crying, I guess because I was hoping the MRI showed something specifically that could be fixed right away. I have done physical therapy for 3 months, it helped lesson the pain, but the pain was still there. Does anybody think that I could have fibromyalgia.

Thank you again and I will keep you updated on my journey of PAIN....

Old 06-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #5
(female)

yayakime HB User

I just want to thank the both of you for your input---I was in horrible pain today, not to mention the never ending headaches that I am getting. The flexeril and Ultrams do not touch the pain that I am in. Today was also my follow-up appointment regarding my MRI--she said pretty much what was said above--She is sending me for an EMG/NVC (nerve study) and referring me to Pain Management--..... She is also putting me on Valiums for 10 days and also starting me on Neurotin medication. I broke down crying, I guess because I was hoping the MRI showed something specifically that could be fixed right away. I have done physical therapy for 3 months, it helped lesson the pain, but the pain was still there. Does anybody think that I could have fibromyalgia.

Thank you again and I will keep you updated on my journey of PAIN....

Old 06-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Fibromyalgia is unfortunately a "garbage can" diagnosis...if we don't know what is causing the pain we'll tell you it's fibro. Fibro, as a disorder, affects muscles in symmetrical form(both sides of the body in the same place)and causes them to not relax. The result is trigger points in the muscles. Treatment is aimed at getting the muscles to relax.

You have a very real problem in your neck that would be causing the muscles to spasm. Valium is a good muscle relaxant. Ultram is not a good pain killer however. Do NOT take the Flexeril and Valium together...they are both muscle relaxers and taken together could be very bad. Neurontin may make you very dizzy....Lyrica would have been better.

But here is the good news....sort of. Pain means the nerves are alive and kicking. As long as they are hurting, you are somewhat okay. You may hate the pain but it means no permanent damage is going on.

The EMG/NCS will show if there is any nerve problems developing as MRI's have been known to be wrong...my lumbar one was but the EMG/NCS showed that I had a problem and when they went into my back, it turned out the MRI didn't show how bad things were at all.

One of the most frustrating things about bad spines is that the pain means things are not bad and as soon as you think you are finally healing up and the pain goes way down, you find out the lack of pain means you are in trouble. I had no pain in my neck...only to find out my cord was so compressed(nerves too) that I was losing all feeling from the neck down.

Pain management docs do a good job but personally, I prefer working with a physiatrist(rehab doc)...they don't treat you like an addict. I've been to 1 pain management place and after going through the locked door and saw all the locks and bars on everything, I knew I didn't want to be there. I saw the doc once and then got a letter that he was leaving the practice...so I did too. Switched to a physiatrist in a medical rehab practice...was treated like a person instead of an addict in training. Just my experience...hopefully yours will be much better(couldn't be much worse).

You probably know we have boards her for Pain Management and I encourage you to talk to them. And vent here anytime. We all understand the problem.

Keep us up to date on the EMG/NCS...please? We've walked in your shoes.

gentle hugs............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
yayakime (06-17-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
(female)

yayakime HB User

Thank you sooo much for your information, it is greatly appreciated---I love this site. Also, I did not know their was a pain management board.

This pain has controlled my life over the last couple days. Im scared--truley scared that something is seriously wrong and they are missing it. Everything is getting worse--the pain, not being able to do much without making the pain worse. Simple things like carrying a purse---pain in my back--not being able to walk too far--And the worse is the constant headache. It has consumed me and I can honestly say I feel a little depression coming on. And I hate insurance companies because you have to jump through so many hoops....I feel like a little guinni pig!!! How about if they never find exactly what it is and their is nothing they can do!!!!! At 45yrs old, I will have to live with chronic pain. Sorry now Im venting.

Its the second day of taking the neurotin and their is no relieve, although they said to give it a couple days. Between the Valium and the Neurotin--I want to sleep. And I can't ---I have 2 jobs and Im a full- time college student--Dont have time to sleep all day!

Again thank you for listening to me ramble on, I need all the support I can get-----

Lots of gentle hugs!! Kim

I will defineately keep you updated on the EMG/NCS

Old 06-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
(female)

yayakime HB User

Well I had my EMG/NCS done on Monday and they dont believe I have any nerve pain radiating from my neck. But they did find out that I have Carpal Tunnell. Relieved with the diagnosis--Im still in a great deal of pain....I have Pain Management Dr appointment on July 16.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #9
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

yayakime, I have been reading your posts and I am glad at least they found "carpel tunnel" they will have something to work with. It is soooo annoying when you can't find anything and you know you are in pain. I too suffer from chronic pain since the year 2000 and I have had failed fusion surgery on my second vertabrae and have tried everything to get out of pain. My surgery was in 2003 and my surgeon told me to try everything else before he would do surgery and I have tried to no avail. I have an appt. with him in 3 weeks. I know he will probably want to operate again and re-do my fusion and will also want to include other levels. But....I have left arm pain and my hand is numb constantly and have stabbing pain in my shoulder blade, along with all of the pain in my neck from my non fusion!!! I have chest wall pain and also have fibromyalgia, Epstein Barr, Chronic Fatigue, and I don't know where everything is coming from half the time, so I do know how you feel. I have had an EMG done because my arm has been aching for years down into my hands. I am hoping it is from my neck and that surgery will work. My nerve conduction test from years ago showed "Myotonic discharges" but nothing was every said much about it but I am following up on the with my neurosurgeon when I see him. I am going to have an EMG re-done before surgery also.

I just thought I would let you know that I feel so bad for what you have been going through and if you need to vent more I will listen to you and I am at least glad that they have found Carpel Tunnel and maybe if you get help for that you might feel better. I know my mother in law had surgery for that and her hand felt much better. I don't think that will help you much to hear thought but I thought I would tell you that.

Hope you have a great day. Take care of yourself.
AngelinMichigan Lyn

Old 07-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
(female)

yayakime HB User

Wow, its just sooo wonderful to talk to someone who understands what Im going through. I had a bad weekend with pain, I went to a picnic---the next day I couldnt move---i went to the doctor today and they prescribed me Ultram and valium along with my neurotin. These meds do take the edge off, but Im continually tired. My appointment for pain management is July 16th--looking forward to see what other hoops I have to jump through to get to the end result----my pcp said something about them giving me injections in my back and neck to help with pain--so who knows... I will keep this sight updated with my progress--to get the support that I need. This chronic pain is all new to me----but Im starting to get some acceptance with it.

Closed Thread