It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2012, 11:49 PM   #1
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User
New lumbar MRI. So why am I still in pain?

Here are my results just wondering why I have so much trouble walking and severe pain if everything is normal.

Multiplanar images l1 - l5

Findings:
Spine curvature normal
Vertebrae: normal, minimal posterior spurring of t11 - t12
Left side laminectomy of l5
Marrow: normal signal intensity
Disc: normal height, no hernia or abnormal buldge
No disc herniation, no spinal stenosis

This is an improvement from my last MRI and no stenosis!
So if this is a better mri why do I still have pain? Could it be cervical issues all the way down my neck? I have cervical mri next week. Could it be misread, this is from an emergency room visit. What does the spurring mean?

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: New lumbar MRI. So why am I still in pain?

Minimal posterior spurring means you have some small bone spurs on the back of the vertebrae at T11-12.

Pain can originate from anywhere in the spine and go downward from there. But when it's in the neck, the symptoms in the lower body tend to be related to muscle dysfunction and numbness from cord compression and not nerve impingement.

Once you get the cervical MRI then you'll have a better idea of what is coming from where but the lumbar looks good. And of course all pain originates in the brain so you can't rule out that either.

Finding out why we hurt is the hardest thing in medicine. All they can do is rule out areas one at a time and even then, it may remain a puzzle.

Wonderful...right??????

hugs..............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
sandiemas (06-15-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
Minimal posterior spurring means you have some small bone spurs on the back of the vertebrae at T11-12.

Pain can originate from anywhere in the spine and go downward from there. But when it's in the neck, the symptoms in the lower body tend to be related to muscle dysfunction and numbness from cord compression and not nerve impingement.

Once you get the cervical MRI then you'll have a better idea of what is coming from where but the lumbar looks good. And of course all pain originates in the brain so you can't rule out that either.

Finding out why we hurt is the hardest thing in medicine. All they can do is rule out areas one at a time and even then, it may remain a puzzle.

Wonderful...right??????

hugs..............Jenny
It is wonderful news I am estatic, just confused as to why I still have siatica symptoms, leg weakness, stumbling and falling. Could be all in my head lets hope.lol

Can I ask if you know the difference from laminectomy and discectomy. I was told that I had a discectomy not a laminectomy not sure on the different notation. I confirmed notes from past surgery to verify but it states discectomy. And the mri 6 months ago said severe stenosis and fibrosis which I was told is scare tissue so if that is gone, its wonderful. I started this healing diet called the perfect diet maybe it helped who know... Acupuncture too... I am hoping some pt, and strengthening will relieve the lumbar symptoms and put it all behind me.....

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 06-15-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

As it sounds, in a discectomy, they remove the disk and in a laminectomy, they remove the lamina bone over the back of the canal in the back of the spine. Your MRI says they can see a left sided laminectomy at L5....sometimes the doc will just remove the lamina bone on one side to give some extra room for the spinal cord...in a full laminectomy(also known as a laminotomy)they remove both lamina(right side and left side) to fully open the spinal canal and it lets the spinous process float free in the back. So you had both a discectomy and a partial laminectomy.

I just had full laminectomies at L4 and 5 and foramenotomies at L4,5 and S1. Gave me back the feeling in my legs.....I can feel the gas pedal now when driving(it helps!!!!!!!)

hugs............Jenny

Old 06-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
As it sounds, in a discectomy, they remove the disk and in a laminectomy, they remove the lamina bone over the back of the canal in the back of the spine. Your MRI says they can see a left sided laminectomy at L5....sometimes the doc will just remove the lamina bone on one side to give some extra room for the spinal cord...in a full laminectomy(also known as a laminotomy)they remove both lamina(right side and left side) to fully open the spinal canal and it lets the spinous process float free in the back. So you had both a discectomy and a partial laminectomy.

I just had full laminectomies at L4 and 5 and foramenotomies at L4,5 and S1. Gave me back the feeling in my legs.....I can feel the gas pedal now when driving(it helps!!!!!!!)

hugs............Jenny
Well that is what I thought. He never once told me anything about a lamenectomy nor are any medical notes, probably getting worked up for no reason but dont we have the right to know what they are doing to us? Hmmm after thoughts now but hey he should have told me or noted it in my medical records. To remove bone... That will weaken your spine and not know about it. Hmm

Jenny, I am sorry to hear about hour latesf surgery but glad that you got your feeling back in your foot. Yes, it is a good thing to feel that gas pedal! Lol

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 06-15-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Laminectomies in the lumbar spine do not weaken the spine and you can go about doing what you want to do very easily. The lamina are a portion of the total vertebra. You know the front is big and round and has the disks in between them and then it goes backward and goes out like a big diamond shape with the spinal canal in the middle of the bones. If you think of the farthest point on the diamond going toward your back as where the spinous process is, the lamina are the 2 sides connected to that point. But it's a lopsided diamond and the lamina are very short compared to the other sides. They can actually break on their own and they call that a pars defect and if often happens when a vertebra shifts or even in a fall but the bone is so small, most people get nothing more than a small backache. So when they cut one of them, it doesn't hurt the structure or engineering of the spine but it does give a little more room for the nerves left in the cord. Even cutting both of them doesn't do much unless they do a bunch of them...they you open yourself up to flat back syndrome. But I only had 2 of the 5 vertebrae done. You only had 1 side of 1 of the 5 vertebrae so you are fine.

But yes, it should have been in the surgical notes but he also may have cut it to get at the disk to do the diskectomy....otherwise they can't get to it. So check your surgical report and see if they cut it to reach the disk...I bet they did. Usually a diskectomy is done from the front unless they cut the lamina to reach the disk from the back...so if it was done from the back...that is how they reached the disk.

Mystery solved?????

hugs.........Jenny

Old 06-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
(female)

Yes, mystery solved. Thanks there is a lot to learn about the spine. Thanks for the information. I have to say you have been through it. Nice to see you around and that you are doing ok....

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Closed Thread

Tags
back pain, mri, spine spurring