It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2012, 01:09 AM   #16
(male)

hamsta44 HB Userhamsta44 HB User
Re: Mri analysis

Well I know how it will happen. In the front, move throat out of the way, expand vertabrae, remove discs, clean off ostephytes where applicable, replace discs with??, plate and thats it. Sounds very simplistic but....
2.5 hrs to do. The surgeon was tellimg me that he has done over 2000 of this proceedure and many worse than me. All have been successful in achieving lost mobilities.
As for the osteophytes, he said that mine are not too bad-whatever that means.
Will report back after it's over.

The following user gives a hug of support to hamsta44:
kenzibenzi (06-29-2012)
Old 07-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #17
(male)

Well it is done. Monday was the day and took 4 hes. C5-6 & C6-7 discs were not happy and now gone. The neck was opened back up and fused/plated. the nerves were bruised but ok so they will settle down. No neck brace and very little pain. Can talk and swallow OK. Just take it easy for 6 weeks. Back home today Wednesday.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: hamsta44
EJM3 (07-03-2012), kenzibenzi (07-03-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hamsta44 For This Useful Post:
EJM3 (07-03-2012), kenzibenzi (07-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #18
(male)

First night in own bed. Sleeping on side caused slight pain when moving but otherwise ok.
Slight stiffness in shoulders first thing on getting up. Got to be careful swallowing liquids- they have a tendency to go down the wrong way and coughing is not recommended!!!
Will get some good painkillers as they might help with the night pain even though it is not overpowering.
Walking about ok.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
(male)

Nights are getting easier now after only 5 days. The only annoying bit is the left shoulder that is not working at all well. This was badly affected by the pinched nerves. It has a dull ache most of the time but until the neck heals not much I can do about that.
Any ideas about excercises for it as we go along the way?

kenzibenzi (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
(male)

Day 6. The night had its moments without any painkillers. Left bicep muscle ached and kept waking me up. Had to take 2 Paracetamol and that worked. Generally good otherwise.

kenzibenzi (07-07-2012)
Old 07-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #21
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Glad to hear you're getting along well. I think with the shoulder, just try and move it as much as you can to keep it moving without causing yourself more pain of course, you don't want to end up with frozen shoulder. I enjoy reading your updates. It's good for people who are facing the same thing to know that it's not all that bad, all the time. Good luck, I hope you keep progressing well. ~Hugs, Kenzi!

Old 07-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
(male)

Thumbs up Re: Mri analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
Glad to hear you're getting along well. I think with the shoulder, just try and move it as much as you can to keep it moving without causing yourself more pain of course, you don't want to end up with frozen shoulder. I enjoy reading your updates. It's good for people who are facing the same thing to know that it's not all that bad, all the time. Good luck, I hope you keep progressing well. ~Hugs, Kenzi!
Thanks for the reply. Looks like the uodates are getting a little boring for now as there is little new from day to day.
I will keep them up as it will give others, as you state, an idea of what to expect.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #23
(male)

Day 7. Arm pain again during night. Changed pillow height and it went away. Old one slightly too low.
Is it possible that the dull aches is a result of the nerves slowly getting back to normal? After all this was the worst area.
Otherwise non-eventful.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #24
(male)

Well Day 8 and nothing to report other than all is quiet. The sticky, over the neck wound, has now fallen off and the incision was made in a skin fold so visabiity will be minimal. Other than that it is plodding along till I see the surgeon in 3 days. At that time I hope I can do something constructive towards the end and stop this boredom.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

How is your shoulder feeling? Are you able to use it more now? I see my surgeon day after tomorrow. I'm feeling very positive about it. I don't have any more pain, so if he talks about surgery due to the cord compression, it's gonna be a hard sell.

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
hamsta44 (07-22-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #26
(male)

No better as yet, however I am reluctant to try anything till I see the surgeon on Friday.
It is frustating but only 2 days to go. Just afraid to do anything I shouldn't.
I feel that it may have dropped back a bit from what it was but if the nerves have been disturbed while being freed up, then that is possible. You agree?

Old 07-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #27
(male)

Day 9. It's becoming uneventful, thankfully, regarding sleeping and no pain. The arm is really the only annoyance/worry for the present. Just doesn't want to work. Fingers and elbow only moving parts. I will see physio in day or so, to see what they suggest as I certainly do not want to do the wrong thing!!.
Finger strength is poor with little grip and elbow not keen on holding any weight.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #28
Veteran
(female)

Hopefully it's all part of the healing process. Considering what you went through I would hope everything is just in a little shock and needs time to come around. I'm interested in hearing what your doc has to say about it. I'll be watching for that post.

I see the surgeon tomorrow morning and am hoping to find out if the PT was enough to move my spinal cord off the bone spur or if I need surgical intervention. I'll post a new thread about it then I get home.

I hope you sleep well tonight. I'm thinking I won't sleep due to nerves...lol. Nervousness, not nerve pain.

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 07-10-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:31 PM   #29
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Arm is worse than before surgery, or just not better?

Old 07-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #30
(male)

I think it's a little below prior to surgery. Problem is that it was going downhill at the time and I cannot recall exactly where it was that morning.
The nerves were quite badly compressed at the time and I am hoping that the result I now have is a tempory spinoff of the fix.

sandiemas (07-22-2012)
Reply Reply