It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #31
(male)

hamsta44 HB Userhamsta44 HB User
Re: Mri analysis

Sorry about the delayed answer. My Computer got hit by a power surge and the power supply go fried!!
Well visited the surgeon and got the OK to do physio. That started yesterday with similiar excercises to those of my rotator cuff fix of a few yrs ago. So far so good. Bit hard but getting there.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #32
(male)

Boy, are the excercises HARD!! Lying down on my back, I have to put my arms along side then lift to verticle 3 x 10 per day. Have to get right to help. Some times ok-some not. Then rotate 10 times in each direction. Makes rotator click sometimes.
Push back off door/wall and walking, with swing arm, 20-30mins. Not doing that at present as right calf playing up. I werr orthotics and they are had-it so getting new tomorrow which should elinate this easily, according to physio.
But this is only day 3 doing these so far from despondent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #33
(male)

21 Days now. Don't feel that phsio excercises are gaining anything other than preventing shoulder/arm freezing up-a plus anyway.
I read that until the nerves improve, there is little gain.
Any ideas on this? At least it won't get worse (-: Any more.

The following user gives a hug of support to hamsta44:
sandiemas (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 05:24 AM   #34
(female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsta44 View Post
21 Days now. Don't feel that phsio excercises are gaining anything other than preventing shoulder/arm freezing up-a plus anyway.
I read that until the nerves improve, there is little gain.
Any ideas on this? At least it won't get worse (-: Any more.

Hang in there it can only get better, stronger, more comfortable with time. Nerves have a huge part in your body healing, muscle, oxygen, all thing that work into the area with movement/exercise. I really have no experience with shoulders just wanted to wish you well and hope you are able to suceed with physio it gives the rest of us hope

Sounds like you are giving a tremendous effort keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress...

Hugs-

C5-C6 tear/buldge
C6-C7 ACDF
T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
Disectomy L5/S1
Anxiety
PTSD
Chronic Pain

Last edited by sandiemas; 07-22-2012 at 05:28 AM.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #35
(male)

21 Days and 1 week physio. No noticable change but am told that until nerves settle down, this is right. Main part of this physio is to stop arm/shoulder freezing up.
At least it shouldn't get worse.
This all sound right?

Old 07-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #36
(male)

5 weeks and now at Gym. 3 days now and following my physiotherapists plan. So far so good. I am concentrating on the overhead pull-down bar as this is giving the weak arm some work.
Will have to wait till Monday for the physio to judge the gains.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #37
(male)

Another week and,to me, nothing interesting but the visit to the physio has given hope. She has noticed alot more movement and freeing up of the arm. I asked her if she was just saying that to lift my spirits but he answer was that it is genuine. Certainly makes me feel better even if I don't notice it.
Also got a copy of the surgeons report on the whole operation-very interesting. The comment was that 1 osteophyte was the main problem and had impacted the nerve quite badly resulting a badly swollen section. This is why the recovery is slow.
However, on the brighter side, he expects it to recover well so as to give me a good run long term. If I can get 80% back, then I will be happy.
As to neck movement, almost as good as it was regarding twisting with slightly less forward/back. Again no pain or real inconvience in day to day.
The only REAL bug is I am going nutty doing nothing. Still I suppose that is a small price to pay for the successful fix.

The following user gives a hug of support to hamsta44:
sandiemas (08-05-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #38
(male)

Another week on. Have just returned from the gym and managed to do 20 push-downs, on the aparartus, with my left arm only. Couldn't do that yesterday.
Otherwise nothing new. I feel that it is improving but VERY slowly.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #39
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

that doesn't sound very slow, to me...

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
hamsta44 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #40
(male)

A comment like that is a great confidence builder. Must be on the right road then
(-: Thanks.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #41
(male)

I have just found my surgeons report, post op, and am summarising what he said so it may give a better idea of what I am facing.

The discs were both very collapsed but good quality distraction was achieved at both levels.
Post op, some increase in the neurological deficit was noted in the left arm.
Muscle weakness appears to have increased a grade in the shoulderand both elbow flexation and extension with increased numbness in left thumb. ( I have trigger thumb here so is not really a valid observation and not related to the main problem)
Warned the patient that this was likely given the degree of compression of the nerve roots and the manipulations necessary to clear theosteophyte away from both roots.
I have warned it may take weeks, or several months, for the motorstrength to progressively recover and I hope it will do so to near normal, however, given the intensity and rather protracted nature of the compression, I suspect that long term he may be left with a slightly under-performing left arm.

So that is it. What interpretation do make of this?
The gym is certainly keeping it all moving and I feel that is as important as anything at this stage so it doesn't freeze-up.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 AM   #42
(male)

Further to my other problem: That is Rt leg weakness. At the gym, there is little difference between both legs in the strength area but the limp continues. The lower back fault showed up on the MRI scan and had some comments about not being 100% (ref my first post)
Anyone have any ideas as to helping reduce this short of surgery? It just makes walking so hard. Any ideas or excercises, no matter how silly they sound, would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #43
(male)

Just got back from physio and she is not happy with progress. My shoulder is not doing what she expected so now have to go back to surgeon and find out possible cause.
Possibly an unrelated nerve has been bruised!!!
But I must say this, She is the best physio I have ever had. Very interested in her patients and no hesitation in referring you back to get more info.
Now the wait!!!!!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Hamsta, just wondering.... Which of your pre-op symptoms have gotten better, which have gotten worse or stayed the same, and which new ones have appeared?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:20 PM   #45
(male)

Better:
No hunching over.
Holding head up and better posture.

Same:
Poor grip LH.

Worse: (Left only)
Lifting up arm out front.
Arm to outside-can lift to about 30degrees. RH to 90.
Difficuilt to do buttons, belts, pull up trou.
Lift arm up to, and hold, steering wheel.
Undo screw tops (but suspect that was beforeso maybe not 100% valid for "Worse")

Physio suspects that the nerve from C1-2 may have been upset during surgery resulting in shoulder problem that is occuring. At least that's what I think she said.

But NO pain still. I am lucky, so far, that my employer still wants me back!!! I did tell him, today,when talking to the Big Cheese that I will understand if he wants me gone but that was not replied to. Got to be a PLUS!!!
Must be a better worker than I thought.

Reply Reply