It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
(male)

Orlandohot HB UserOrlandohot HB UserOrlandohot HB User
C4-C7 ACDF in 2009

I had this done several years ago and was doing very well now for several years. My NS warned me about possible issues with C7-T1 back in 2009 and now I am having those issues which could be either caused by mme or the fusion, I'm not looking for something to blame. On May 12th I woke up in morning felt a kink in neck when geting out of bed and couldn't even stand up.... I went to emerg rm then in hosp for 2 days being pumped full of pain meds, finally got up and walked out AMA and made appt to see my NS. I am now going to get an epidural steroid injection right at C7-T1 and see how that works. I was on roids (pills) for a few weeks and responded well but now weaned off them and in lots of pain. Trying very hard not to reach for those 10/650's. Injection scheduled for this Monday.

Has anyone else had the injection? I understand I can get three but because I have be in Europe all next month I hope one shot will do it for now?
Thanks,Ray

Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: C4-C7 ACDF in 2009

ESI's in the neck can do 2 things...if they go well, you can get up to 3 over a period of time and it may hold you for a while. If it doesn't help or is too painful to even do, then it tells them you probably need surgery.

Most insurance companies demand they try an ESI before they will approve surgery. So get it over with. Will just 1 help...who knows?

But pain in and of itself is not a bad sign. Pain means the nerves are alive and kicking. If you start to have numbness, muscle weakness, tingling or pins and needles in the inside aspect of your arm and especially in the ring finger and pinky of the affected side, then you are in trouble. Report that to your NS. And take your pain meds to Europe with you(in their original script bottles perhaps with a note from your doc just to keep you in the clear...in fact, get extra just in case).

I am fused to T1 but developing problems once again at the C8 nerve despite fusion and now the T1 nerve is showing signs of involvement. Once fused, the trouble just follows you around.

Hope you get some relief.

Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
Orlandohot (06-16-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
(male)

Orlandohot HB UserOrlandohot HB UserOrlandohot HB User
Re: C4-C7 ACDF in 2009

Hi Jenny,
I have weakness in right hand and my fingers play the piano involuntary. I'm having spasms in right chest muscle and pain from my right shoulder blade to the tips of my fingers. ESI is my first choice to avoid another fusion. Like I said above it seems what little of steroid pills made it to my spine seems to have helped with about 75% improvement. I am hoping for best with ESI tomorrow.
Ray

Closed Thread