It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #1
(female)

braycine HB User
What do you all think

Hello everyone I hope that everyone is doing well. I haven't been on for awhile, I've been reading and keeping up but haven't posted. Between health and work I have been very exhausted.
I had a horrible spell in February and march. I continued to work but to be honest I don't know how. I had to sit, stand lie with my left ear on my shoulder. If I raised my head I would smash the nerve coming from c 4-5 on the right and it would immediately start to burn and was excruciating. When I finally went to er they did MRI. In order for me to be a le to. Hold my head up they had to medicate me heavily. Was basically just told to see nurssurgeon.
I already know that I need more surgery, am just trying to get thru summer. At c3-4 and c4-5 my cord is being severely compromised. At c2-3 hypertrophy moderately pressing on bilateral nerve roots.
But since ny spell I have an area of total numbness to my right shoulder, you can put a 1 inch needle in it and I have no feeling of it, can't tell it has even been done. Have 3rd degree burn on it and can't feel it. The sore is a long and dumb story on my part. But to be honest the pain in that area is better, course using my arm is more difficult. Am having trouble with left arm and both legs.
Getting that stiff walk again, and bladder retention.
Here is my question
Does anyone one have experience like this with total numbness to Areas of the body and did you get any of the feeling back after surgery.
What can I expect from a c3-6 fusion, as far as healing time and mobility. nd from a c 2 not being fused but opened up.
And he said 5-6 was fine so how will he get to 6-7 which is past my last fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: What do you all think

Total numbness may or may not come back. My toes were so gone that I didn't have any feeling in them since last July but my late March surgery gave me back some feeling...enough that I have my balance back and I can feel if I get an infected toenail(important to a diabetic). At least a spot on the back is not essential to everyday life...just bothersome.

I am fused from C3 to T1 and although you do lose some range of motion(about 50%) what you are left with is essentially what you normally use anyhow. They try to leave C2 out as that really brings down your range of motion. I've herniated the disk at C2-3 and have nerve and cord compression but I will wait as long as possible to have it fixed as it may be the end of driving. You have nerve compression due to arthritic bone spurs(hypertrophy) and that may settle down once C3 to immobilized.

Cord compression doesn't have to be fixed by an ACDF but can be addressed without fusion through a laminoplasty...might want to ask about it.

Healing time depends on what the doc does...laminoplasty is fast but an ACDF is 12 weeks. A posterior fusion is also about 12 weeks but you don't have the side effects of feeling the plates in your neck.

Hope this helps and I'll go look at the question you left out.

Jenny

Closed Thread