It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User
Arm & Hands Numb, Is it from Cervical Spine Issues

AngelinMichigan...Hi my name is Lyn and I have been on here for several years with spine problems. I had an Anterior Cervical Fusion with a Titanium Plate and screws on C5/6 6/7 done in 2003. 15 months after surgery and still in pain (I won't go into details) my Neurosurgeon discovered that I had a "pseudoarthrosis" false joint or non fusion and because of a conflict told me he wouldn't help me. I tried every other convential treatment to get out of pain (chiropractors, pain management, nerve ablations, nerve blocks, massage, etc. etc. until 2010 I went to an orthosurgeon who took x-rays and said he could help me by doing a "revision surgery" on my non fused area C6/7 by going in posterior and using my own hip bone this time..... but treated me so poorly and I was hesistant, so finally again I went back to my neuro. that did my original operation. Since then I have talked to a few other surgeons who refuse to touch me because they won't go against him either. He is a top neurosurgeon in Michigan!!! Anyway he has finally agreed (after sending him a letter and a copy of the MRI, cat scan and flexion extension x-rays) to see me again. I am at his mercy!!!
Any way I see him in 3 weeks.
Besides having chronic neck and shoulder pain that has never gone away since my surgery, I am now having terrible arm pain and worse in my left than in my right but both of my hands keep on going numb and tingly. It seems like not in certain fingers but in my (whole) hands. I have put my results of my scans on here before but if I put them on here again, maybe Web Dozer and I know Jenny has already read them for me, could you see if you think there is anything there that can be causing numbness please. I am thanking you both in advance. Take care....Lyn

Jenny, I hope you are doing well!!

These are results from all 3 summed up into one.

Thank you so much

C1 Moderate Degerative Changes are seen at the Odontoid Process and the Arch of the C1 Junction

Mild Anterolisthesis of C3 on C4 by 3mm. There is also an Anterior Osteophyte Projecting from the Vertebral body of C4.

C4/5 Demonstrates a Small Right Paracentral Disc Protrusion with Mild Flattening of the Thecal sac without evidence of cord compression or neural foraminal stenosis unchanged.

ACDF changes with a fusion plate are seen at the level of C5-C7. The position of the plate and screws are normal without extrusion of the screws or elevation of the plate. The C5/6 vertebral bodies are fused. The C6/7 vertebral bodies are not fused and demonstrate with mild sclerosis and irregularities endplates consistent with pseudarthrosis. The central canal and neural foramina are patent.

There is a "visible cleft" at the C6/7 intervertebral disc space indicating Pseudoarthrosis with relative widening at the Pseudoarthrosis Gap at the C6/7 level on Flexion. (When the Orthopedic Surgeon was reading the Flexion Extension Views first on the Computer Screen before the Radiologist interpreted it he said and I quote "I do not see any obvious failure of instrumentation on these radiographs. On flexion/extension views, there does seem to be some motion at the C6-C7 pseudoarthrosis level with relative widening of the pseudarthrosis gap at the C6-C7 level on flexion. There may also be some lucency about the C7 screws within the C7 vertebral body". (I thought that meant that the screw was loose and my husband said that it doesn't mean that, it means a sort of opaqueness or see through, what do you think?

C7/T1 There is Minimal Anterolisthesis of C7 on T1

These might have some duplicate notes but I have put all 3 sets of scans together and want to know what you think. Yes I am going to my original neurosurgeon again in 3 weeks finally after being told I wasn't fused in 2005 and Jenny knows my story well, but would like some other opinions also and some new ones from Jenny since I have added some new symptoms. He says he wants to see me and I am still not very trusting of him but I will figure out if I trust him after I hear what he wants to do!!!

Take care everyone and have a great day.

Lyn AngelinMichigan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Arm & Hands Numb, Is it from Cervical Spine Issues

BOTH hands going numb/tingly, and NOT in any particular fingers, and in the ABSENCE of leg symptoms that might indicate cord problems... that combination would have me wondering about possible non-cervical issues. Perhaps more related to circulation?

The surgeon is going to concentrate on fixing C6-7 (which certainly appears to need doing), but I wonder if maybe you would want to see someone else, like maybe a neurologist.

Hopefully, ALL your symptoms originate with the non-fusion. I'm afraid I don't know what kind of surgery is usually done for revisions....

Last edited by WebDozer; 06-23-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

WebDozer.....Thank you so much for reading my post. I do have circulation problems in my legs. I have been diagnosed recently with PAD and do have numbness and tingling in my left foot also. I just had a another test done at the lab for that also and the findings at this time were: Mild Bilateral atheromatous changes are seen in the common femoral, superficial femoral and popliteal arterials with no significant stenosis or occlusion, bilaterally. (build up of plaque, artery walls thicken). This is from a lower extremity arterial doppler.
I thought that numbness and tingling in my hands was possibly from my neck problems.
I have problems with my right hipalso and had an EMG in 2008 that states a Chronic right L5 Radiculopathy and a Mild Left S1 radiculopathy.
Years ago also I had an EMG done in my arms/wrists/Bicepts/Deltoids,hands/Tibialis Anterior and had this diagnosis that doctors look at me like I have "two heads" and nobody ever even looks into this and it is a very rare disorder that if I read up on it is serious but nobody ever takes it serious so I always just ignore it :The report says": There is a electroiagnostic evidence of muscle membrane irritability which is consistent with a "mild myotonic disorder such as MYOTONIA CONGENITA" Clinical Correlation is recommended. This EMG is from the year 2001. I was told this after this EMG and was never treated for this and nobody ever talked about it yet when I read up on it, (and my arms were bothering me then with aching and numbness in my hands) it is a congenital disorder that I have supposedly inherited from one of my parents (my parents are both gone) and it is a form of "Muscular Dystrophy". Well I have been diagnosed many years ago with Fibromyalgia.
Sorry Web Dozer I know this isn't your expertise and I don't know why I am sending you back this information. We have to be our own advocates and I have tried for many years to see what is wrong with me and I know I have never been diagnosed properly and won't go into what else I have been diagnosed with that doctors ignore.
Well thank you for answering me about my MRI and scans and I will keep you informed of my appt. with my neurosurgeon and what he says about fixing my "non surgeon".
Thanks again....Lyn in Michigan

Old 06-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
(female)

sorry, that should have said, about fixing my non-fusion.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Lyn, I'm sorry for all your troubles, which are more than you deserve. They ARE more than you deserve, aren't they? I wonder if any of that could be the cause of the non-fusion.

A friend of mine has symptoms (bothersome but not painful) of tingling/numbness in both hands and both feet. Docs don't know what it is, but think it may be menopause-related.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

What area of Michigan are you in, if you don't mind my asking? I may need to see some surgeons and would like to not see the ones that have given you a bad time. You can message me the names if you want. ~Kenzi.

Closed Thread