It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

Jalisco12 HB User
Smile artificial cervical disc

Hello everyone,
I am new to the Health Boards and I was wondering if anyone had any info. on artificial cervical disc replacement. I have constant neck pain, had an mri showing a disc bulge. My doctor suggested a fusion at C6-7 but I am aware of the consequences affecting the disc above and below the fusion. Has anyone have an artificial cervical disc replacement procedure? and the type of disc used. I read that the M6-C is very promising as it acts as a natural disc.
Any info. would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: artificial cervical disc

From an article on Adjacent Disk Syndrome...

""" Clinically, long-term deterioration after ACDF has been documented in several studies. Hilibrand, et al.,[36] studied 374 patients who had undergone anterior cervical fusion and reported that adjacent-segment degeneration with new radiculopathic symptoms occurred in 2.9% of them per year, with a cumulative rate of 25% in a 10-year period. Two thirds of these patients required additional cervical fusion surgeries."""

What does that tell you?

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
Jalisco12 (06-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

Jalisco12 HB User

Hi WebDozer thanks for the response
Any info on artificial disc results and types? I am really hesitant on surgery but would hate to do irreversible damage.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Sorry, I'm not the one to ask about artificial disks. I do know that it was an idea that for a while was considered as not living up to its original promise, but maybe it has improved now.

Is for damage from a C6-7 ACDF with a donor bone, I think you would lose very little range of motion. As for Adjacent Disk Syndrome, that's why I posted the extract. At first, it looks like an argument supporting ADS, but when you read more carefully, it almost looks like an argument against.

Last edited by WebDozer; 06-26-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
(female)

Mary.T HB User

Hi there, I had a 2 level ADR surgery done 7 years ago at levels C5/6 and C6/7. I see my neurosurgeon here in the UK once a year for a check up, and last saw him in June. I have very good flexion in my neck and a good range of movement. The disc used for me were made by Cervitech in the US and are called the PCM disc (porous coated motion).I am now starting to get some neck ache and headache, but 7 years on I suppose I am ageing and discs above and below would be ageing a bit ! The major problem immediately after my surgery was swallowing, this was difficult and lasted quite a while, and then all settled down. If you have any more questions you would like to ask please message me.
Kind regards,
Mary

Closed Thread

Tags
cervical disc