It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Is it considered weakness?

I'm still puzzled about my right arm. I completed my PT and they said my strength was fine.

I'm still having the same problem I complained about before I started PT, but now I'm questioning if it's weakness or what the heck it is? I will explain it to you and hopefully you can shed some light on this for me...

Example #1: When I put dishes away in the cupboard, one glass at a time, same movement about 8 times, my right arm gets very tired. It feels like it just can't do it anymore. So I let it rest at my side and I use my other arm.

Example #2: As I sit here at my desk I use both arms and reach up and out toward the wall, like I'm getting something off a shelf and bring them back to me. Sounds weird, but I do it often to keep comparing both arms. My left arms can do it forever, but again, my right arm continues to get tired after only about 6 or 8 times and needs to rest.

If my strength is good while pushing and pulling, than what the heck is this?

Does this mean my spinal cord could still be compressed even after the PT or would this have nothing to do with that?

DX; C5-6 crappy disk, ddd, bone spur (on right side), compression, AP 7-8mm.

My post PT appointment with the spine surgeon isn't until July 11th, and to be honest, it doesn't feel like July 11th will ever get here.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on this ~Kenzi.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
(female)

ABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB UserABQpam HB User
Re: Is it considered weakness?

Hi Kenzi ~

Sorry you are still having problems despite the PT. You said some things improved - that's good news. You and so many here have multiple issues in the neck so it's hard to know what's causing what sometimes.

YES, it could be caused by your disc & cord issues. I saw my PM doc last week and he feels my new arm symptoms (bilateral) are likely the disc compressing the cord. Whether it is just with certain posture or movement - we aren't sure yet.

I've been thinking about your question for days. You mention the fatiguing of your right arm when reaching up. Do you get the weakness with your arm in other positions (like when typing etc) ?

Just a thought... Since your problem is only one arm, I am wondering if you might have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome on the right. You might google it. Usually the symptoms, in your case - weakness, is reproduced when the arm is extended in front of the body and raised up. Kinda like you described reaching up to put dishes away.

I hope you find an answer soon - at least at your appt. on the 11th. Just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you.

Hugs,

Pam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Re: Is it considered weakness?

Hi Pam!

It only happens with the movement I described in my post. I do have a T7-8 problem (nothing severe), I never thought to consider that. The last T-spine MRI I had was back in 2009, maybe the surgeon will think it's time for a new one.

I do appreciate your reply, and to know that you thought on it for a few days made it even better. It's so nice to know that you and others really do care.

It's definitely on my list for the spine surgeon. I'll post a new thread after my appointment.

Thanks so much, Pam!

Kenzi!

Closed Thread