It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
(female)

painohmy HB User
Please help with my Lumbar and Cervical Spine MRI results Please..

I was in a car accident May 10th 2012 and I've been going to therapy and I had my MRI done and got the results back today. I just want to say Thank you and advance for taking your time and reading my results.

MRI of the Lumbar spine without contrast.

Findings the vertebral body heights and disc heights are maintained. Dis desiccation L4-5 and L5-S1 level are present with anterior extradural defects. Conus is behind L1. Lordosis is maintained. Endplates are within normal limits.

On the axial images L1-2 disc is normal facets are normal in uptake.

L2-3 disc has a left foraminal disc protrusion/herniation; the facets and ligamenta flava are hypertrophied.

At the L3-4 level the disc is normal, facets are mildly prominent.

L4-5 disc as a central disc herniation with central annular tear. Facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy are present. Bilateral neural foramina narrowing is seen.

L5-S1 level has a central disc protrusion.

Impression: Left Foraminal disc herniation at L2-3, probably acute since the disc is otherwise unremarkable.

2. Central disc hernaiation at L4-5 with central annular tear, probably acute. There are bilateral narrowing, as well as facet hypertrophy.

3.Central protrusion at L5-S1.

Cervical Spine MRI

On axial images C2-3 disc is unremarkable.

C3-4 disc demonstrates a large right of foraminal disc herniation compressing the right exiting nerve root.

C4-5 dis has a left foraminal bulge.

C5-6 disc is unremarkable.

C6-7 disc is normal.

C7-T1 disc as it right paracentral disc bulge.

Impression: Large right foraminal disc herniation at C3-4 significantly compressing the right exiting the nerve root.

2. Disc bulge at C4-5 on the left.

3. Right paracentral disc bulge at C7-T1

4. Straightening of the normal lordotic curvature of the spine consistent with the muscular spasm and or pain.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Please help with my Lumbar and Cervical Spine MRI results Please..

For the lumbar, consider that the disks are protruding into the spinal canal from in front. The facets are laying on extra bone and thus intruding from the sides, and the swollen ligamentum flavum in coming in from the back. I'd guess you naturally have a healthy amount of space in your spinal canal, or you'd have a serious canal stenosis (narrowing) problem.

To some extent at L2-3 and more so at L4-5, the protruding disk is pushing into the foramina, the openings in the side of the spine through which pass the spinal nerves. The radiologist does not indicate that this is serious, but then he doesn't indicate that it isn't, either.

He does say the disk protrusions are "probably acute". I guess that means he thinks they were caused by the accident, and will likely get better on their own, or with conservative treatment? The orthopedist or physiatrist you're seeing would know.

As for the cervical, he thinks you have disk bulges at three levels, but only stresses the C3-4. That's intruding far enough into the foramen that it's compressing the right C4 nerve root (radiculopathy). This may show itself as pain in the right side of your neck, or referred pain/soreness in your right shoulder. IF there is trouble in your left shoulder/arm, it would be due to the C4-5 disk bulge.

Your cervical spine should start with a forward inclination at the shoulders and then curve back to come upright at the top of the neck (lordosis). He thinks that the accident has caused muscle spasm which is pulling the spine straight (so that the forward inclination at the shoulders is maintained more than it should be). The muscle spasms themselves could be very painful, and the loss of lordosis also means that your muscles have to fight to keep your head erect.

Last edited by WebDozer; 07-12-2012 at 09:06 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
painohmy (07-13-2012)
Old 07-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
(female)

painohmy HB User

Thank you so much for the information. I have a better understanding than before. My neck and shoulders bother me the most and I feel so much pressure when I'm holding my head up. I've been going to therapy for 2 months now and there has been no improvement. So the doctor wanted me to get an MRI hopefully I don't need surgery for my cervical disc.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
(female)

painohmy HB User

Yesterday I had an appoiment with a spine doctor and he recommended the epidural shot for my cervical herniation. I'm very afraid and heard both bad and good about the shot. Has anyone had the epidural shot and what are your opinions?

Old 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

There are a number of people who have posed here about shots, but they may not see your question unless you put it in a new thread title. Of course, people who post on boards like this are probably more likely to have had bad experiences than people who don't post.

I'd be curious to know how it goes for you, as that C3-4 disk certainly looks like a candidate for surgery (in my amateur's opinion). It would be good to know if it can be helped non-surgically, although I'm not clear on how a steroid injection can cause a bulging disk to get back in line...

Old 08-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #6
(female)

painohmy HB User

Thank you for your response. Both doctors are trying other options to decrease my pain and keeping surgery as the last option. I'm 28yrs old and a single mother to a 5yr old son my occupation I sit and enter contract pricing infront of a computer all day and the herniated disc is really impacting my daily activities. I honestly dont want surgery as well so I decided to try to epidural shot to see if it will relieve some pain in my neck and shoulders. My neck feels so much pressure when I'm holding up my head and at night its very hard to find a comfortable position. I'm getting the shot 8/15 and really nervous but I'm going to start a new thread to ask opinions on the shot. Thank you again for taking your time and replying to my post.

Closed Thread