It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2012, 08:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Disheartened and Suffering

Hello All,
It's been quite some time since I posted. For those who don't know or recall me here's a bit of history.

In 2003 I had an ACDF C6/C7 and the doctor "cleaned up" C4/C5.
One year later I was rear ended at a stand still by a woman not paying attention. It busted one of the screws and caused permanent soft tissue and muscle damage.

In 2008 I underwent my second ACDF for c4/c5 and had the broken hardware removed. I had a very large herniation that had to be tended to.

In 2010 I had my 3rd fusion C3/C4 and found out the second surgery failed and there was yet more broken hardware. The screws sheared off and was not visible by xray/mri. The doctor put in a new plate that is from c3-c5. (I had gotten a second opinion at one time and the doctor was shocked that the surgeon even took hardware from first surgery)

My first surgery was a blessing, all pain gone immediately. Unfortunately, when the accident happened all that changed.

While I do suffer from chronic pain in various parts of my body, second to my back, my neck is the worst i think.

Over the last 9 months things took a turn for a worse. The pain is excruciating. It affects my neck, shoulders, elbows, hands and fingers. I loose the feeling in various areas at different times.

Sitting, laying, reading, anything sets off pain and very stiff muscles.

I saw the original surgeon (now retired) who did an MR showing large herniations STILL in c3-c4! he mentioned operating again in the back instead of the front, but wanted me to get an EMG but I failed to as my husband was hospitalized that week and it was priority for me to be there for him.

The doctor literally told me and put into my chart (as he was mad I didn't do the EMG) He said forget about your pain, live with it and never ever let anyone operate on it or touch it and you need to fix your marriage! I kid you not!

I have a wonderful marriage, we've been together 11 years and I assure you this is not the problem.

I am at a loss, I can't do this anymore, it hurts far to much and is drastically lowered my quality of life to where i can't function like I could 10 years ago.

I made and appointment with with a new neurosurgeon towards the end of the month but but have to see their medical doctor first (the Clinic is weird). They are trying to rush me in but I've no clue when I will end up being seen.

I don't want a 4th fusion (additionally c7/t1 is herniated now) I just want relief. It's so heart breaking I just don't know what do. I just know coping is getting harder with each day, especially since my lumbar is herniated from l2-s1, major scar tissue damage in my hip from replacements and my knee is failing. Whomever once said your body can't process more than one pain at a time never lived with a like I have since birth.

Has anyone else had as many fusions fail to heal (oh yeah he didn't give me a Bone growth stimulator till 3rd surgery and i had to convince him to brace me!) and hardware constantly breaking along with new fusions growing over time? If so I'd like to hear your thoughts and coping mechanisms

Thanks for listening
Kissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Disheartened and Suffering

If you had a C3-4 ACDF and the disk was removed, what is it that's still herniating?

Old 07-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB UserKissa HB User
Re: Disheartened and Suffering

You know, I honestly do not know what he did and or why. It makes no rhyme or reason whatsoever. I question his abilities at this point. I do have the MRI report and I need to go get the surgical reports of all the surgeries and try to piece it together.

I know he really screwed up a friend of mine, he fused him from c2 to c7 in one shot!

Closed Thread